Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Flying with food for a trip

amother1223

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 4:32 pm
any advice? we keep chalov yisrael and chabad scheichta but we will have access to a supermarket with basic fruits/veggies and dry foods

what travels well in terms of dairy/meat?

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 5:07 pm
You can freeze dairy items anthem put them in an insulated bag, the silver ones that say hot/cold, I think target sells them. Cheeses, yogurts, cottage cheese all freeze well. Buy milk that comes in long lasting boxes, I usually use almond milk, I don't know if they make long lasting chalav yisrael milk. All meats and chickens freeze well. You can cook, freeze, and defrost, eat at room temperature. Deli meat turkey breast, etc. Freeze well also. If you are taking a lot of food I suggest you pack a large cooler, tape it well, and send it with the luggage. Those coolers are so well insulated that frozen items will not defrost.

amother1223

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 5:29 pm
how long will the defrost last for? can I bring a cooler with me as a carry on or do I have to check it?

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 5:55 pm
amother1223 wrote:
how long will the defrost last for? can I bring a cooler with me as a carry on or do I have to check it?

I guess it depends on the size of the cooler.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Iglo.....50415
This one is quite small, but hardly any thing will fit. I would buy the insulated bags instead and put in my luggage.

The secret is to make sure everything is solid frozen, and the cooler or bag is well sealed.

You can check in the cooler as a piece of luggage, at no extra cost if it weighs less than 50lbs. I've done this before and packed my clothes split between everyone else traveling.

Many times I buy raw meat and chicken in NY, freeze, and check it in.
I know people who cooked all their Pesach meals and took it with them.

How much food do you need to take? For how long, for how many ppl?

Sometimes it's worth to pay an extra luggage.

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 5:59 pm
Insulated bag.
http://www.amazon.com/X-Large-.....IQJVW
I guess you can take this as carry on.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 5:59 pm
I do this every time I travel. I tend to cook in advance. freeze everything (various cheeses, meat, etc) and pack it in a carry-on-size suitcase. I check it, I don't carry it with me. I find I don't need a cooler, the frozen items keep each other cold. if you are going on a really long flight, a cooler would be a good idea. make sure that your accommodations include a freezer/fridge.

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 6:09 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....05790
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen