Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
I broke my fast (nursing) :(

amother

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 8:29 pm
Towards the end of the fast, I ended up eating and drinking. I had no energy left to do anything except lay down and I had to take care of my kids. This is my first fast nursing and I felt dizzy, nauseous, had a headache, and felt thirstier every time the baby nursed. How do most mothers nurse and fast??? Don't you lost your milk?? How does your baby eat?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 8:33 pm
can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't fast a full fast while nursing. you do what you can.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 8:36 pm
I always found it extremely difficult to fast while nursing, and I did break my fast one TBA when I just couldn't manage it at all. In general I try to get someone to take care of my kids all day so I can lie in bed, but sometimes even that isn't enough.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 8:38 pm
I'm pregnant and broke the fast this afternoon. You do your best.

Shoelover

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 8:55 pm
I'm not pregnant not nursing and have one 2 yr old and I broke my fast. I wasn't feeling well and rav said to break still feeling a little nauseous and headachey
Y

SingALong

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 9:45 pm
Same here. Ebf and I broke it about 3 hours before fast ended. I felt dizzy, nauseas, and clammy. My Rav had told me to break it as soon as I don't feel well, ( my baby doesn't take formula).

So does what I fasted count, although it's only partial? Or it's an all or nothing thing?

Shoelover

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 9:59 pm
If course it counts

be good

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 12:02 am
almost broke it.

sent my toddlers out to a TBA playgroup for 4 hours, then DH was home for another hour, by then it was supper/bedtime. I thought I was going to be fine, but every time the baby nursed I got weaker until I thought I couldn't make it.
put baby to bed an hour early and was so dizzy and weak I almost broke my fast, when I realized there was only an hour left. so I laid down for that hour, and b"H made it. but it was close.

EBFing (especially a big baby - 18 lbs), is so so difficult. I broke once on yom kippur.

v'chai bahem, we are only supposed to do it if it isn't dangerous for anyones health.

allrgymama

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 12:41 am
I'm nursing, but supplementing when necessary (I have the lap band, so on days when I can't eat well, it really effects by supply).

I ended up nursing only every other feed throughout the day and managed mostly okay. I also have a horrendous cough and sore throat due to acid reflux, so I was panicking from thirst in the middle of the night, though. But I did manage in the end, Baruch HaShem.

I also took a Tylenol/caffeine suppository at midday and I'm sure that helped.

It's days like these that just reinforce for me why it's so important for a baby to be able to take a bottle, however infrequently.

hearty

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 1:45 am
Yea, nursing exclusively and fasting only makes sense in ending this way. You deserve credit that you tried, really hard! Hashem is proud of you for taking such good care of his kids.

little_mage

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 6:40 am
Another nurser who didn't make it either. You're not alone in that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note