Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Getting a mortgage: no US credit but good credit elsewhere

amother

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 3:23 pm
Thinking of moving back to the states after 13 years of being away. My husband is not an american but works for an american company who can possibly transfer him to an american office. (My kids and I are Americans). We have no credit in the US, but amazing credit where we live. Plus we have the money for a down payment. And like I said, my husband has been working for the same american company for 15 years. Anyone has ever tried to get a mortgage on such circumstance?

bookworm10

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 3:30 pm
Getting a mortgage in the US right now is really hard. Speaking from experience. If you have good credit where you live, why doesn't it transfer?

Do you have anyone who could co-sign?

bookworm10

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 3:30 pm
Sorry for double post- but what I would do is call a trust-worthy mortgage broker. Let him look up your credit and income, and tell you what you need.

nylon

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 8:24 pm
a regular US bank will not arrange such a mortgage; they need a FICO score. If he has never lived and worked in the USA he doesn't exist as far as the reporting agencies are concerned. When my dh moved to the US, he couldn't even get electric service without paying a deposit (for some reason they only ran his name and not mine).

Your credit does not transfer between countries (although it used to be you could have your AmEx card transferred and it would allow you to begin building US credit quickly). It's the policy of the credit rating agencies.

If you have enough money, HSBC may be able to help you--they have options for international relocation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating