Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Freezing chicken soup
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 7:47 am
What is the most effective method?

shuls_613

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 7:49 am
I just put it in a hard tubberware. It has always come out fine. Did you mean something more specific?

Motherlee

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 7:53 am
I recommend just freezing the stock.

The texture of the vegetables changes after being frozen.

Other than that, store in an airtight container.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 7:59 am
Will a plastic bag work also?

What about the ziplock brand plastic containers that are more flimsy?

How do you defrost without it getting wattery?

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 8:04 am
I make a very chickeny soup one quart of water to one pound of bones. It's never watery fresh or frozen. I freeze it in deli containers I get at the local grocery store.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 8:06 am
How do you defrost? How long does it stay for in the freezer?

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 8:07 am
I usually put in the fridge overnight and then boil in a pot. I keep it warm until the meal in a small crockpot.

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 8:08 am
I usually make soup every 3-4 weeks.

shuls_613

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 8:17 am
I also just put it in the fridge to defrost. If I need it quicker, I run it under water until I can get it out of the tubberware and then heat it up. It doesn't get watery.

I never tried ziploc bags for freezing soup so I'm not sure how they would work.

I've kept soup in the freezer for a couple months and it was fine. It is possible even longer would be okay but I never tried so I can't say.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 12:29 pm
Freezing in Ziploc bags works great, and it takes up so much less freezer space.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 12:41 pm
I've done it and it works but the flavor of the soup is definitely not as fresh.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 12:43 pm
I strain the soup put it into plastic containers-just take out a few hours before throw out the wilted carrots put in a large fresh one when you re warm. If you need it right away put the container into a pot of hot water.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:
Will a plastic bag work also?

What about the ziplock brand plastic containers that are more flimsy?

How do you defrost without it getting wattery?
strain the soup and freeze only the liquid, not veg chicken or noodles in it.

you can store in ziploc storage bags if you are rareful. lay flat in freezer and stack one on top of the other for freezing. takes up less space.

stays good in the freezer for 3 months, longer if stored properly in containers.

defrost on the counter or in the fridge. keep a plastic plate to collect the frozen condensation that drips as it defrosts.

kb

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 3:20 pm
Never tried it, but I heard of freezing in tinfoil pans. That way, you put it in the oven to reheat before shabbos, no pots to clean! (Sounds like a nice idea, actually... though I hear that tinfoil isn't so healthy.)

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 5:07 pm
I found a great method. I have some rectangular containers that I got at the Container Store. I freeze the soup in them, then pop it out of the container and put it into a Ziploc and freeze it that way. I use a large container (around the size of a 9 x 13 foil pan) the contents of which fit perfectly in a 2 gallon Ziploc. Stacks really nicely.

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 6:12 pm
Not part of your question, just one quick tip: You may want to be careful about the temperature of the soup before freezing soup. It is important to let it cool. If you put hot soup in the freezer, it can spoil during the cooling process.

Good luck!

freidasima

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 1:55 pm
How can hot soup spoil during a quick freeze? I can see it lowering the temperature in the freezer for other things there, that's for sure, but I always freeze warm (not boiling) and it's never gone bad. I freeze soup with carrots and potatoes and chicken in it every week so that I can skim off the fat after it defrosts (same with chicken even though I take off the skin and cut all the visible fat - neither dh nor I can have any fat) and I freeze that warm as well.

Frumdoc

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 8:02 pm
I have gusseted ziplock bags designed for holding soup, which are great. Amazon stock them, they take up less room in the freezer and don't leak or risk the lids coming off like my plastic containers.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 10:21 pm
Soup is one of the easiest foods to freeze. No need to double wrap. I freeze in regular deli containers. I only save the carrots, which I freeze in the soup. The carrots get a bit soft and wilted, but still fully edible - it works for me.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
What is the most effective method?

mason jars, ziploc bags, plastic containers, anything will work just remember that liquid expands when frozen and thus you need to leave room at the top or the lid will pop off. also freezer burn is not such a big problem with liquid either.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen