Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Please advise me how to get my baby to sleep more than 1.5 h

freshair

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 7:13 am
My baby is 4 months now ba"h and adorable! He use to wake up every 3 hours to eat. He got sick a few weeks ago and saw that he can get attention more at night and wakes up now every hour and a half. All he needs is me to nurse him for a few minutes and he goes back to sleep for another 1.5 hours. For the past 2 nights I let him cry for 5 minutes before I came to him. At that point I started with a bottle of 1 oz of water and he happily drank it so I gave him more. It's not doing the trick of him not to wake up. This morning he woke up at 6am. I work full time and need my sleep. I decided that I'm young to just let him cry. HE CRIED STRAIGHT FOR 1.5 HOURS STRAIGHT! Please help me!

saw50st8

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 7:17 am
He might be going through a growth spurt. Please don't let him cry that young.

I totally hear your frustrated. I too work full time. My babies were never good sleepers. A few things to try:

1) Does your baby take a pacifier? Try with that first

2) Have your husband go in to pick the baby up to see if the baby will calm down. Mom=milk

3) Rock the baby, rub his back try to soothe him without feeding him

4) Also, BURP. I find my babies wake up when they need a burp but they root to nurse like they want to eat.

Good luck. Its so hard to feel human after getting no sleep :-(

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 7:23 am
I don't think you're supposed to give a baby water until they are at least 6 months.

Sorry that sounds rough!

smss

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 8:44 am
staystrong wrote:
My baby is 4 months now ba"h and adorable! He use to wake up every 3 hours to eat. He got sick a few weeks ago and saw that he can get attention more at night and wakes up now every hour and a half. All he needs is me to nurse him for a few minutes and he goes back to sleep for another 1.5 hours. For the past 2 nights I let him cry for 5 minutes before I came to him. At that point I started with a bottle of 1 oz of water and he happily drank it so I gave him more. It's not doing the trick of him not to wake up. This morning he woke up at 6am. I work full time and need my sleep. I decided that I'm young to just let him cry. HE CRIED STRAIGHT FOR 1.5 HOURS STRAIGHT! Please help me!

sleep deprivation is SO SO hard Sad

the truth is that even without the getting sick, 4 months is a very common age for sleep regression. that is when babies start to have sleep associations like nursing- their sleep cycles change so that they enter light sleep more often and when that happens if they don't know how to settle themselves they turn to things like nursing to get back to sleep.

even cio-believers usually don't recommend cio before 6 months. and babies that young shouldn't be getting water, either. saw50st8's ideas are great

Debbig

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 12:53 pm
My son didn't sleep more than a hr till he was 3 weeks old my moms cleaning lady told me put him on his stomach he started sleeping 5 hrs at night and long naps during the day.
Good luck!!

rachel6543

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 2:29 pm
this is my experience - when my son was that age he was co-sleeping in bed with me. It was the only way I got any rest. he slept next to me. if he woke, I nursed him in bed and we'd both fall back asleep quickly. and yes, I worked full time too.

good luck!!

rachel6543

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 2:30 pm
Debbig wrote:
My son didn't sleep more than a hr till he was 3 weeks old my moms cleaning lady told me put him on his stomach he started sleeping 5 hrs at night and long naps during the day.
Good luck!!

Be aware - sleeping on the stomach is not recommended by doctors anymore due to SIDS. It's recommended that babies sleep on their back.

Debbig

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 3:49 pm
That's true but there is no proof that anything causes or prevents SIDS. Only recommendations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics