Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
1 Year Old Waking Up Almost EVERY Night! Help!!!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 12:21 am
My one year old wakes up a few hours after she goes to sleep, unusually between two to five hours after she goes down, and starts screaming. Absolutely the only way for us to calm her down is to put her in her stroller and let her sleep there. I don't really mind this because then she sleeps until very late in the morning and B"H I am able to sleep in as well, but soon I will be starting to work and will need her up earlier. We realized that her crib mattress was probably too uncomfortable for her (she was in a pack-n-play) so we got her a real crib and we still have these issues! Any ideas? Suggestions?

TIA!

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 1:14 am
Did you try feeding her? Once a night is not bad.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:10 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Did you try feeding her? Once a night is not bad.

My doctor said not to at this point...she is old enough to go without. She is fine once she's in the stroller...its just that she won't stay in the crib and I'm not sure that sleeping in the stroller is the healthiest thing.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:23 am
You might need to choose between sleeping in a stroller and eating once a night.

IMHopinion

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 12:22 pm
It is completely normal for a 1 year old to wake up every night. Many times more than once.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 1:06 pm
My 11 month old wakes up 2-3 times a night- on a good night so I don't know what you are complaining about.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 1:13 pm
My 11 month old nurses several times through the night. There is nothing wrong with it, even if technically it is possible that most kids perhaps don't really need it and can yes survive without it (as the ped is informing you). Do what works for you and your baby.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 1:20 pm
OP here: I'm pregnant and so I'm trying to wean...so nursing isn't going to work.

Any other suggestions? Someone suggested that I elevate her head in the crib, but I have a portacrib and don't know if a regular crib wedge would work...anyone seen a wedge that would fit a portacrib?

black sheep

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 1:26 pm
a one year old will certainly survive without eating in middle of the night. but by the same token, you will survive with less sleep. just ask your doctor. most adults can function fine even when they wake up to soothe a baby multiple times a night.

it is perfectly normal for babies to wake up for nursing or a bottle in middle of the night.

freidasima

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 2:02 pm
we had a grandchild who only slept in a stroller for a good few months arount that age. Maybe put your child to sleep in the stroller in the first place and see if they sleep through the night. It will change but it might buy you a bit more uninterrupted sleep.

:) :)

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 3:37 pm
my baby is 15 months. he still wakes up around once every night.
at around 12 months he was waking up around 3 times a night and then I would nurse him and he would go back to sleep with no problem. if I didnt nurse him, he would screammmm! hold his breath - the works! at that point he was nursing more times at night than during the day!

eventually I just had to let him cry it out. he did not need the feeds at night he was just used to them so expected them. I went in to him to comfort him every few mins while he was crying but I did not feed him.
I made sure he had enough to eat at supper and then I dropped one feed at a time. now I am going to try to drop the last one.

it is very hard to hear your child cry. trust me I know all about it. and I have given in to him after 45 mins of crying etc too but it is only a matter of 4 or 5 nights and then usually they dont bother waking up anymore the next night.

you sleep better and your baby does too.

busydev

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:24 pm
my 11mo wakes 2x a night to nurse at this point, but im getting ready to night wean him in a couple weeks cause im done with it. Hope it goes as well as it did with my first. (he def doesnt need it - weighs plenty and eats a TON, its comfort and stuff but a year of very disturbed sleep (plus the last couple months of pregnancy with bathroom trips and not getting comfortable) is really my limit.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:40 pm
freidasima wrote:
we had a grandchild who only slept in a stroller for a good few months arount that age. Maybe put your child to sleep in the stroller in the first place and see if they sleep through the night. It will change but it might buy you a bit more uninterrupted sleep.

OP here: I did that and it works, but I don't know if it's the healthiest thing for her to sleep there every night. She does sleep well in the stroller though!

otsrock

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 2:29 pm
You should have something special just for the crib. A blanky, paci, or stuffed animal. And it's ONLY for the crib. This is a behavioral strategy known as pairing. If your baby only gets the goods in the crib, she'll learn that the crib is a good place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics