Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Buying a house on a busy intersection, thoughts?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 12:41 am
I just typed out a whole post which unfortunately got deleted. Basically we are first time homebuyers. We looked at four houses today in Baltimore. We are on a limited budget for what prices are going for. Apaarently to live in the area we are looking at within our budget means we will end up with a small, old windows, original furnaces, possible mold issues, and really displeasing to the eye...serious fixer uppers. We did look at one house though that the relator said would not be considered a "starter" home because it has 4 levels and only needs cosmetic work that can be fixed over the years. She said this would forsure be the biggest house we will ever be shown in our budget. From what we saw today, we certainly understand that. The BIG issue is that it is located on a busy intersection. I guess compared to NY streets it is nothing but for Baltimore it is. I am so scared my kiddos would dart out the front door. We would forsure put up a fence in backyard but for zoning reasons, can not put one up in the front. My husband really likes this house, as he does not have the motherly insticts I have. The previous people we were told had 6 kids in the house, so obviously it was not their concern. Should I knock on the frum peoples house across the street and see how they made peace with the intersection? Would you ever buy a house on a busy road? So anxious...need advice!!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 12:51 am
I'm from Balt what intersection are u talking abt? I thought u ment the labyrinth and smith but they didn't have 6 kids. Trying to figure out where else is so busy

mdoif

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 12:52 am
There are plenty of families with children who live in busy streets with no ill effects.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 1:06 am
OP here, I will probably regret admitting this and blowing my cover but that is the intersection I am talking about. I thought I was told by the realtor that is how many kids they had. I find it to be a very very busy intersection. If the house was a block in, it would go for thousands more.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 1:37 am
Find out if you can install a thick hedge of bushes at the front as a barrier. Find out how high it is allowed to be.

You could get a dwarf species, that wouldn't need to be cut down endlessly, because it would only go so high naturally.

Then you would want to find out if a smooth, trimmed hedge is expected, which is work, or if a natural texture is allowed. If bushy is ok, you could leave it alone.

A hedge would keep the kids from running into the street a bit. And at the entrance you would need a gate perhaps.

You might want double paned windows against the noise, at the front. Or not. Thermal drapes might do.

You might want to know if accidents were frequent at this intersection. Perhaps local records can reveal that. You don't want people clonking onto your lawn.

It might actually be safer socially to be in a very visible place instead of tucked away where nobody sees anything.

Even low plants will deter children if they are thorny. Roses, say. "The Fairy" is a low rose bush with thorns. You could have a close line of them. The kids won't hurt themselves, they will learn to stay back.

http://www.hortico.com/roses/v.....HFA10

I knew one once. It needs no care at all.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 8:26 am
I am wondering if there could be potential issues with zoning laws and planting big bushes. I wonder how much of a financial investment would that be.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:12 am
the family deff had 2 kids. It really depends on your kids and how they are. Are they the type to run into the street? I dont think its a known corner for accidents if your thinking that.

Honestly, I looked at the house online and it looks like a great deal for that size house and the work the previous owners put into it. Were not up to the buying stage just yet but if we were I would consider the house.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:26 am
Living on the corner of a busy intersection is difficult, even when taking children out of the picture. When adding children it becomes scary. I know so many people who live on busy streets and BH are doing great. Someone I know in a similar situation recently gated her property. Would that be an option for you?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:38 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Living on the corner

That to me is harder in the winter because of snow, more to shovel. Very Happy

imokay

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:56 am
Location, location, location.
I don't think I wud buy that property. I dislike: being near traffic flow, being at the end of a block, the frontage, the shoveling and I the potential hazard involved. Also, it seems it will have a lower resale value due to its location.
But thats just me. U have to decide what u can live w... to some ppl the above mentioned stuff wudnt bother them and it wud b worth it for them to get the nicer house in the less than perfect location.
If someone else swooped it and bought it, wud u b disappointed or relieved? That might help u figure out what u feel about it.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:34 am
I dont think that corner is so bad in terms of cars. I'd be more concerned with the foot traffic out of the school across the street.
is the driveway on labyrinth? The house looks like a great deal!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:53 am
I also live on that street (a few blocks down) and it's really not that bad, especially if the driveway is not on Smith (that really is the key). It's a really nice neighborhood, and that location is great because you have quite a few shuls within walking distance and a park with a playground nearby. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 11:00 am
I don't know the house or intersection, but can you add another entrance at a better spot that will be used as the daily main entrance?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 11:02 am
put up gates & get leashes for the kids

abby1776

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 11:09 pm
Can you put up a fence?

ven

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 5:56 am
I would go for the better house on te busier road.
the location makes it affordable !
train your kids and put in hedges

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 6:12 am
Even if you lived on a quieter street would you let young children play outside in the front? Probably not.

Is it close to other young families? We live on a main street and the main downside is that few other young families live near us. But we are very handily located for shops, parks, etc. When it snows our street gets shoveled faster then side streets.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 6:32 am
amother wrote:
put up gates & get leashes for the kids

Okay, but what should she do if her kids are not puppies who can be tied to a stake in the front yard?

mommy27

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 8:07 am
Are you stuck on a county location? There may be bigger houses in that price range in the city.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 8:13 pm
OP here,
The issue is not letting the kids play in front yard. I guess I am more scared they would just dart out if G-d forbid we forgot to close the front door. I called the county and it seems if the gate is pulled back 25 feet from the corner we would be able to put up a small 3 feet gate in front and bigger in the back which I guess we would do. Truth is houses seem to go for much less on this street, but this is one of the bigger homes. House has been on the market for quite a few months, so I guess we are not only ones with reservations.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating