Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO eye doctor for prism glasses or visual therapy
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 8:08 pm
My son is having difficulty with kriya. He reads very slow

His teacher suggested her see an optometrist who specializes in prisim glasses or visual therapy for concentration.

Anyone with experience? Whos the best doctor out there?

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 8:24 pm
You need a developmental optometrist. Where are you located?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 9:07 pm
There's Dr Joel Warshavsky in Brooklyn, a Dr Luchins in Monsey, and I forgot who in New Jersey.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 9:15 pm
Dr Press in Fair Lawn, NJ is way up there.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 7:40 am
Op Here

I hear Dr Siwoff (in NJ) prescribes glasses and Dr Luchins gives you therapy to do.

What's the difference?

Also I would love to hear success stories. Anyone?

Stars

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 7:56 am
http://siwofflowvision.com/

I heard of a few people who went there and were very happy. no success stories yet though. it could take time to see progress.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 8:01 am
You should not see a dr who only does one or the other. Every person is different and what helps one may not help the other. Prism glasses should be used in conjunction with therapy regardless, at least at first.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 8:04 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
You should not see a dr who only does one or the other. Every person is different and what helps one may not help the other. Prism glasses should be used in conjunction with therapy regardless, at least at first.

So would anyone know of a doctor who does both??

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 8:10 am
amother wrote:
So would anyone know of a doctor who does both??

Dr press http://www.pressvision.com

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 8:15 am
my friend went to Dr. Luchins for her child and was prescribed the prism glasses.
In terms of Dr. Press I agree with MBV that he is way up there Smile - my childhood eye doctor who is also "way up there" recommended him to us. In turned out that my dd needed surgery so he told us to do that first and see what happens.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 8:44 am
Quote:
There's Dr Joel Warshavsky in Brooklyn

Quote:
Also I would love to hear success stories. Anyone?

This was many years ago, so I don't remember all the details. I believe my brother used Dr. Warshavsky - in
Roselle?

B"H he was very successful. The therapy really helped him be able to concentrate and focus, it really helped turn his life around.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 8:49 am
There is a great pediatric ophthalmologist at Columbia Medical, Dr Steven Brooks http://www.columbiaeye.org/abo.....umbia

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 10:05 am
Dr. Bruce Meyers in Oradell, NJ does both. I had nice success with him for dd who has convergence issues (seeing double words), which she didn't know was weird so she didn't say anything. A tip for now- see if your kids reads better with a slant board, like a table shtender at about halfway up. It's a temporary fix for some kids. Dr. Meyers also submits to insurance for the therapy; they were able to get at least 50% of it covered for me.

http://www.riverdellfamilyvisioncare.com/

Also have a kid with glasses from Dr. Siwoff. Dr. Meyers couldn't help him, though he tried, and he was honest about it too. His glasses from Dr. Siwoff have improved his coordination, the way he walks, etc., including some occasional double vision.

Used Dr. Press many years ago. He's worth seeing, but be prepared- he has you pay for an entire course of therapy upfront, and that sticks even if you discontinue. He does not submit to insurance to my knowledge, but you can try it on your own. Definitely a pioneer.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 9:28 pm
Dr. Ben Nayor in Valhalla NY. phone number is 914-345-1490.

I have spoken to countless amount of people who are so happy with his work. People who have gone to Sewolf and to Luchins went to him after because they were not satisfied. I know him personally and I could tell you he is so caring and takes the time to explain everything.
The only thing is he does not take insurance.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 10:29 pm
My son got prism glasses and vision therapy from Dr Hazai in Ezra Medical Center for double vision. We were very happy with the results bh.

chani8

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 10:34 pm
My son was severely dyslexic and vision therapy was one of the tools that really helped him. I highly recommend it.

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 6:22 am
amother wrote:
Dr. Bruce Meyers in Oradell, NJ does both. I had nice success with him for dd who has convergence issues (seeing double words), which she didn't know was weird so she didn't say anything. A tip for now- see if your kids reads better with a slant board, like a table shtender at about halfway up. It's a temporary fix for some kids. Dr. Meyers also submits to insurance for the therapy; they were able to get at least 50% of it covered for me.

http://www.riverdellfamilyvisioncare.com/

Also have a kid with glasses from Dr. Siwoff. Dr. Meyers couldn't help him, though he tried, and he was honest about it too. His glasses from Dr. Siwoff have improved his coordination, the way he walks, etc., including some occasional double vision.

Used Dr. Press many years ago. He's worth seeing, but be prepared- he has you pay for an entire course of therapy upfront, and that sticks even if you discontinue. He does not submit to insurance to my knowledge, but you can try it on your own. Definitely a pioneer.

So if I have a child who has visual scanning and tracking deficits -and ADHD and social deficits - and I want to pick a top-notch person who can work with him, would I pick Dr. Bruce Meyers or would I pick Dr. Press?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 7:43 am
I'm the amother you quoted, debsey.

My kids' eye doctor was recommending Dr. Press when my older dd needed. By the time my younger dd needed around five years later, he was recommending Dr. Meyer, largely for economic reasons (insurance, etc.).

Dr. Meyer is not a developmental optometrist but very much knows his subject of tracking, convergence, etc; all the mechanics of it. And they have nice, personable therapists.They're not so specialized in kids with behavioral issues that might interfere with the therapy, like severe distractibility, and they're not as up on the autism/ ADHD connections. So it depends how important that is.

I haven't been to Dr. Press in years, though I remember him having great therapists as we'll. When I was there most of the therapy was done in one big room, which was very distracting for my kid, but that may have changed.

I would call them both and tell them your situation, and see what they say. If they're both equal, why not go for the one who can get some of it covered for you?

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:15 am
amother wrote:
I'm the amother you quoted, debsey.

My kids' eye doctor was recommending Dr. Press when my older dd needed. By the time my younger dd needed around five years later, he was recommending Dr. Meyer, largely for economic reasons (insurance, etc.).

Dr. Meyer is not a developmental optometrist but very much knows his subject of tracking, convergence, etc; all the mechanics of it. And they have nice, personable therapists.They're not so specialized in kids with behavioral issues that might interfere with the therapy, like severe distractibility, and they're not as up on the autism/ ADHD connections. So it depends how important that is.

I haven't been to Dr. Press in years, though I remember him having great therapists as we'll. When I was there most of the therapy was done in one big room, which was very distracting for my kid, but that may have changed.

I would call them both and tell them your situation, and see what they say. If they're both equal, why not go for the one who can get some of it covered for you?

Thanks!
That's the question - are they the same? It sounds like Dr. Press can do both the vision therapy and prism lenses, if that's needed. But I don't THINK ds needs prism glasses - first of all, the research is questionable. Second, his issues seem to be mostly scanning/tracking and stamina. He can't read for long before he gets tired.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:11 am
I'd go with Dr. Meyer then. He actually does prisms as well but very selectively, for specific issues; he tries them, and will stop them if it doesn't seem like it's helping. For those mechanics, and a kid who can sit for therapy and will actually do some of the computer program homework, I'd go to Dr. Meyer.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics