Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Helllllllllllp!!! I'm addicted! am I the only one?
1  2  Next

Peshi

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:07 am
I suck my thumb and it really bothers my husband. I never do it in public but in my house. I have 3 little kids. I really wish I can stop but I feel it calms me and is a drug.... my husband gets mad every time I do it and says " you dont care about me if you suck your thumb"- I always try not to suck in front of him but sometimes it's automatic and I don't realize( u wont understand if ur not in it)
I just want to know if anyone feels with me and if there are any ideas of how to stop.

heidi

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:09 am
T-H-E-R-A-P-Y!
For some reason you are stuck in a developmental phase in which oral stimulation comforts you. Grown women with three children should have moved past that phase. This is NOT a bad habit, it is a sign of a major issue. Please get help soon.

Peshi

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:13 am
Hellooooooo....... I dont have time for therapy any way if I did where ...... I wouldn't even know where to start...

excuse me for asking what type of major issue to you think it can come from?

im normal and regular. you'd never guess if you knew me... I teach high school... and you'd be surprised..

heidi

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:16 am
We all have issues sweetheart, yours is just more obvious. I'm just saying this is not a bad habit, it's a sign of a problem. You don't have to agree, but you're the one who asked for help.

boysrus

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:16 am
from your thread title alone, I thought that you were addicted to imamother and my answer to that was no you are not the only one.
good luck breakingyour thumb sucking addiction though...

modehani

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:17 am
My grandmother sucked her thumb when she was already a bubby. No major issues. It was just something she did sometimes.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:18 am
You're not the only one. Read this thread, you may feel better http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....cking

I don't have any advice, but I'm not going to judge you. I'm nearly 50 and I still sleep with a stuffed animal. Wink

perquacky

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:19 am
What have you tried so far? Did you try the same methods parents use to get their kids to stop? Painting your thumb with Stop? Putting a bandage on your thumb? Chewing gum? I really don't think therapy needs to be the first step, unless you tried other methods and nothing has worked. Maybe look into hypnosis. It works (sometimes) for smokers and nail biters.

savta718

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:19 am
I totally feel for u!! I sucked my thumb till 9th grade, sometimes even during class!!! Was quite embarrassing! My mother promised me the world but it was such a hard habit to break. I don't know how it happened but from one day to the other I decided I'd had enough and stopped. Maybe try applying nail polish. The taste of it might disgust you enough to help you stop. Good luck!

Peshi

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:22 am
perquacky wrote:
What have you tried so far? Did you try the same methods parents use to get their kids to stop? Painting your thumb with Stop? Putting a bandage on your thumb? Chewing gum? I really don't think therapy needs to be the first step, unless you tried other methods and nothing has worked. Maybe look into hypnosis. It works (sometimes) for smokers and nail biters.

painting your thumb with stop- what is that and where do I buy it/

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:31 am
Peshi wrote:
painting your thumb with stop- what is that and where do I buy it/

Apparently there's a whole industry build around thumb suckers!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UT.....stf_b

Best of luck. Hug

losingweight

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:37 am
Someone told mr to paint the finger with oil of clove available in the health food store. It numbs the tongue if it gets on it.

wife2

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:38 am
the ONLY thing to get you to stop is willpower. You are not a kid and can easily take off nailpolish, bandages, etc. Many people I know kept trying different methods and went back to sucking again. The day they decide that no matter what they don't want to be a thumbsucker, they stop cold turkey. The first week is the hardest. Just don't suck - yes, it will take you a lot longer to fall asleep. But realize you are doing this so that your kids don't have to be embarrassed about their mother doing something like this and your husband will appreciate you.

chani8

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 1:03 am
Do you want to stop sucking your thumb? If not, then don't. There are way worse habits, imo.

blessedbyamiracle

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 6:26 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
You're not the only one.

I don't have any advice, but I'm not going to judge you. I'm nearly 50 and I still sleep with a stuffed animal. Wink

So u fed hubby a good dinner didya? Rolling Laughter

5*Mom

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 6:51 am
Substitute something that is more socially accepted, like chewing gum or sugar free lolipops. That way you meet your need for oral stimulation without raising any eyebrows. You can also speak to an OT with sensory processing experience for suggestions.

flmommy

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 7:15 am
I stopped thumb sucking in High school by a few hypnosis appts. Try it. I think you will be amazed.

blessedbyamiracle

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 7:35 am
flmommy wrote:
I stopped thumb sucking in High school by a few hypnosis appts. Try it. I think you will be amazed.

I was just gonna say "behavioral therapy", which shud literally take just several sessions... Depending. Or bio-feedback, But then I saw HYPNOSIS and that is a really good idea. A better idea. I mean people use it to help them stop smoking and other things.

animeme

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 7:57 am
Wife2, while I agree that willpower is key, things like Band-Aids and painting with yucky stuff help with the unconscious part like suddenly finding your thumb or nails in your mouth. You taste or feel it and go, oh, that's what I was doing. It also takes the comfort out of it.

That being said, when I was trying to stop biting my nails (which happened past the age of 35) I was told to have a bunch of people whose opinions I care about and who I see a lot know what I was doing so I would have that as motivation (don't want them to see me doing it if they know I'm trying to quit). A variation of that worked for me.

itssimplyme

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 8:19 am
First of all hun, there is nothing wrong with you, and it is not only you who has this "problem". Believe it or not, some people do suck their thumbs, it is not only young children. Don't start jumping to call yourself "childish" or give yourself labels. You are fine - everyone has a comfort habit, at least most people do. There is no need to psycho - analyse everything. That is frightening and ridiculous. When I was in high school, two girls in my class sucked their thumbs (they were 18). They did it in class. They probably still do it now. The teacher thought it was kind of weird, but told them they shouldn't do it in public, then just kind of got used to it. (By the way, this was not a Jewish school I went to ).

Personally, I sucked my thumb until I was 12, and the only reason I stopped was because it mucked up my teeth, I always had very nice teeth but the front teeth got pushed forward because of my constant thumb sucking so I ended up with nice (but goofy) teeth and needed braces to sort them out. My orthodontist said I would need to stop sucking my thumb if it was going to work, and since then almost overnight, I stopped. Like any habit, it's totally possible to stop doing it.

That said, not everyone has their teeth affected by their thumb sucking - those girls in my school never wore braces, and had good teeth. So that was only in my case that I was given that self discipline (of ultimately having nice teeth) that made me want to stop. If it wasn't for my teeth, I wouldn't have stopped! I would not suck my thumb in public though. If you don't suck your thumb in public, but only in private, because it brings you comfort, then you are not harming anyone (and as long as your thumb is clean!), I personally don't see what's wrong with it.
You are not abnormal. It's no different from having a teddy, or playing with your hair, or enjoying a cosy blanket and so forth. It is just your particular form of comfort.
It doesn't "say anything" about you. Don't beat yourself up or lose confidence over it.
Be happy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics