Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Thinking of moving to chicago (chabad)

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 8:18 pm
hi
I would like to hear from anyone who has lived or living in Chicago what its like - how's the community, chinuch, gashmius things....
anything will be helpful
thanks

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 9:37 pm
Horrible community. Very unfriendly.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 9:44 pm
amother wrote:
Horrible community. Very unfriendly.

Baloney

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 9:47 pm
Moved to Chicago less than a year ago and I really like it. The winter was horrible (but they say this past year was exceptionally bad). Kosher food (chicken, cholov yisroel) is expensive. But the people are very nice, non judgemental. There's a variety of schools so you can find one that suits your needs.

That being said, it's probably hard to move here without a "reason". Meaning, if you came here to join a kollel or specific community, I think everyone will be accepting. If you don't have a reason to move here, I suspect it will be a difficult to get accepted.

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 11:33 pm
Hi, We moved to Chicago about 8 years ago and are very happy here. While we are not Lubavitch, I do send one of my children to Cheder Lubavitch (boys elementary). I found the Lubavitch community to be very warm and welcoming and accepting.

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:44 am
I don't know too much about chicago but I know there were politics with the girls high school, which split a few years ago.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:11 am
Raisin wrote:
I don't know too much about chicago but I know there were politics with the girls high school, which split a few years ago.

I believe that was over 10 years ago.
I moved here recently and loving it. Amazingly friendly and caring community, very active nshei chabad, and Jr nshei too. A sense of were all family. The chessed here is amazing, the mosdos here are one the best, many people move here for the chinuch. There's an abundance of kosher food, including lubavitch shchita, there's judaica, there's milchig and fleishig restaurants. I understand real estate is pretty good here too. No ny mentality of outdoing the neighbors.
Nice chassidish community.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
I believe that was over 10 years ago.
I moved here recently and loving it. Amazingly friendly and caring community, very active nshei chabad, and Jr nshei too. A sense of were all family. The chessed here is amazing, the mosdos here are one the best, many people move here for the chinuch. There's an abundance of kosher food, including lubavitch shchita, there's judaica, there's milchig and fleishig restaurants. I understand real estate is pretty good here too. No ny mentality of outdoing the neighbors.
Nice chassidish community.

I agree Chicago is a nice chilled place to live. I'm not embarrassed or judged if DD wears a $15 Gap dress.

Very warm and inviting.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 3:00 pm
BH

We moved here less than a year ago. Very nice people. Good Chinuch. Nice Chassidishe community.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 3:05 pm
I know this is a few months old but just want to put in my2 cents.
I love Chicago!
I moved here almost 11 years ago just after the split and I would never know about any politics. The only people that feel it are the ones that were involved at the time.
The cheder is amazing. Great teachers, hanhola, etc. If you have a problem there's who to talk to. They care. They really do. Every single one of them, rabbis wolf, twersky and heifetz add all as morah lakey from preschool and mrs. Perlstein from the girls. I dealt with each of them personally.

As far as food, shul, mikvah, it's all here. I never need my mother to bring me things from ny.
And lots of new families have been moving in so lots of young families.

Forget the weather. You're not here for that. You come here for the chinuch.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 3:54 pm
“I think that's how Chicago got started. A bunch of people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough, let's go west.'” - Richard Jeni
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating