Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Aflac insurance- anyone have it?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 12:20 am
Reading the life insurance debate made me wonder if anyone has Aflac which is supplemental benefits and if so do they find it worth it?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 12:38 am
what is aflac?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 12:45 am
If I'm not mistaken, It's a pre-tax deductible insurance. So there's a tax advantage to that. Usually offered by employers. It covers more than the standard medical insurance.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 4:39 am
I have their cancer and accident insurance.

cfriedman2

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:32 am
I have aflac and also am licensed to sell it. Aflac is supplemental employee benefits. it is not health insurance. I have 4 policies - accident, dental, sickness, and icu. When my daughter was born I got around $2000. If I had medical expenses I could have used it towards that but if I didnt I was able to use the money how I see fit. I was in a car accident 4 months ago and had to go to the doc and pt I got $1000 for that. Since it was the other persons fault I didnt have any medical expenses so I was able to spend the money on my every day expenses and not medical expenses. Each situation has amounts it pays out. We have delivered huge claim checks to people who would have had to declare bankrupt if not for Aflac helping them out when they were sick.

Let me know if you want more info.

cfriedman2

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:33 am
PAMOM wrote:
I have their cancer and accident insurance.

Have you ever submitted a wellness benefit? your entitled to those on an annual basis.

m+m

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 11:28 am
I have the Short-Term Disability plan. Never used it yet, but it pays about 2/3 your paycheck when you have a baby (up to 6 weeks) or are out for illness up to 3 mths.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 12:13 pm
I don't even know what they offer but I do know their duck is ANNOYING!!
Wink

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 12:24 pm
I have the accident and hospital indemnity.

I have used when my kids needed stitches but it really helped when my child was in a accident (not car) and needed to be hospitalized. I have big copays and I got $4000 and that really helped.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 12:27 pm
I have the accident and hospital indemnity.

I have used when my kids needed stitches but it really helped when my child was in a accident (not car) and needed to be hospitalized. I have big copays and I got $4000 and that really helped.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 5:21 pm
every year we put in for paps, mamograms, and colonoscopy. the reimbursement check arrives in a pretty timely faszhion.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 7:01 pm
I know nothing about this but DH's work offers it, and mine did too when I was working, and in both cases it wasn't health insurance or life insurance. Rather, it was all sorts of disability insurance?

But I know nothing about this. ANyone?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 7:14 pm
I had a hospital indemnity plan that paid me iirc $1000 for being admitted and $500/night when I had a baby. This was going back a few years, and now they only offer it through employers who will deduct it from your paycheck. It's worth it if you can more or less count on getting pregnant within a certain time frame (for childbirth you have to pay in 10 months before you can make a claim, so you can't start when you're already pregnant). I think I paid around $25/month in premiums. The money definitely came in handy to cover deductibles.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 7:18 pm
Aha yeah I remember that.

They wouldn't pay for a free standing birth center and so I didn't take it. And then I had a CS Sad

cfriedman2

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 10:26 am
ha people might think the duck is annoying but its recognizable and thats how marketing works Smile

you can get some plans as an individual but majority of plans need to be purchased through a work plan. Any company with 3 employees can bring in Aflac. Plus when you get plans through your employment the rates are much lower.

Peanut- the plans cover more than just births. if its offered to you and its a low rate I would recommend getting it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics