Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tell me about the Upper West Side?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 6:33 pm
Very early inquiries. Tell me anything/everything.

Are there a lot of young families living there?
What is the cost/availability of a decent 2-br apartment?
What is the daycare/schooling situation - availability, quality, cost?
Are there nice playgrounds?
Is there a particular area where the frum community is concentrated, are there certain blocks to avoid when apartment hunting?
Are there buildings with a lot of frum families so you can go visiting on Shabbos?
Is it easy to make friends?
Is there a standard of living, like you need to wear certain styles to fit in?

STovah

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:11 pm
EXPENSIVE!

sequoia

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:12 pm
It's nice. If you can afford it it's a great place to live.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:16 pm
That's what I'm trying to find out - HOW expensive? So I can figure out whether I can afford it. We currently live in an also-expensive neighborhood and are not ready to move out of "town" so we're exploring possible options but need some details.

morah

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:22 pm
Unless you're coming from the Upper EAST Side, it's more expensive than wherever it is that you currently are.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:24 pm
we saw an apt in a very nice building with a lot of jews- apt was small! kitchen/living room dining room (all in one room) then bathroom off the kitchen area and then one bedroom (we could hardly fit our two beds in it ) was about 3k. so just gives you an idea of the cost... washing machines are in the basement

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:
That's what I'm trying to find out - HOW expensive? So I can figure out whether I can afford it. We currently live in an also-expensive neighborhood and are not ready to move out of "town" so we're exploring possible options but need some details.

In my full service doorman building, a 2 bedroom is at least 4,500k/month. You can provably find apartments for less but they provably won't be doorman buildings (though I don't know if that's important to you)

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:25 pm
Er, wow. Anyone else have numbers to share?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:29 pm
http://www.zillow.com/homedeta.....zpid/
?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:35 pm
amother wrote:
Er, wow. Anyone else have numbers to share?

Check out streeteasy.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:03 pm
Streeteasy has 2-br apartments on UWS listed for around $2500. What am I missing? Is there something wrong with those? Are they scuzzy buildings or something? That's not more than my current neighborhood (though all I've seen were the fancier doorman-type buildings, have not seen anything available lower end)

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
Streeteasy has 2-br apartments on UWS listed for around $2500. What am I missing? Is there something wrong with those? Are they scuzzy buildings or something? That's not more than my current neighborhood (though all I've seen were the fancier doorman-type buildings, have not seen anything available lower end)

Post links and we will tell you. Where are you moving from?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:09 pm
amother wrote:

The UWS is a very broad area. Roughly from west 66th up through 110. The cheaper listings are probably further north than you want to live if living among many frum Jews is a priority . Also, they may have 2 bedrooms but what are the square footage? And yes, they would be 5th floor walkups or the like. If you are really interested, make appt to see those low end apartments.
I am confident (unfortunately) that there will be a big catch. How am I so sure? Because STUDIOS in my building go for 2200-2500

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:12 pm
I'd rather not say where I'm moving from. I posted a zillow link, same one appears on streeteasy. here are some others:
http://streeteasy.com/building.....an/5s
http://streeteasy.com/building.....an/4w
One says it's a walkup, one doesn't mention whether or not there is elevator. Not thrilled with the walkup idea but if that's the way you afford an apartment, I guess you get exercise too...

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:12 pm
superdanni wrote:
The UWS is a very broad area. Roughly from west 66th up through 110. The cheaper listings are probably further north than you want to live if living among many frum Jews is a priority .

This is why I originally asked where the frum part is. nobody answered that yet... please?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
This is why I originally asked where the frum part is. nobody answered that yet... please?

Hard to answers. There are Shuls along the entire stretch and definitely frum people living all along , but I'd say the concentration is in the high 70s to high 90s.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:
I'd rather not say where I'm moving from. I posted a zillow link, same one appears on streeteasy. here are some others:
One says it's a walkup, one doesn't mention whether or not there is elevator. Not thrilled with the walkup idea but if that's the way you afford an apartment, I guess you get exercise too...

The second one is in a shady area, pretty much Harlem. The first is better but not great and probably has roaches no washing machine in building and walk up.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:

I wouldn't recommend 109 and Amsterdam. Definitely not a lot of frum people there

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:20 pm
Siiiigh... I guess this idea isn't so promising after all. Is there another frum community not far from there (I want to work in the area) that is more affordable? I'd aim for under $2500/month for a 2BR apt.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:20 pm
[quote="amother"]The second one is in a shady area, pretty much Harlem. The first is better but not great and probably has roaches no washing machine in building and walk up.[/quote

Lol! 109 and Amsterdam is DEFINITELY Not Harlem! More like approaching Morningside Heights. Or Manhattan Valley. But not Harlem. Harlem doesn't start (on the west side) till 125th
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating