Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tell me about the Upper West Side?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
Siiiigh... I guess this idea isn't so promising after all. Is there another frum community not far from there (I want to work in the area) that is more affordable? I'd aim for under $2500/month for a 2BR apt.

Word to the wise. People here convert apartments, from 1 bedrooms to 2. How many children do you have and how old are they? A large one bedroom might work for you (though your budget is a bit low for that too) and then you put up a temporary wall in part of the living area or bedroom. Everyone does it.

Alternatively and still in manhattan , Washington heights might work for you. Much cheaper and tons of frum people but still the advantage of being on the subway line for quick commutes

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:28 pm
[quote="superdanni"]
amother wrote:
The second one is in a shady area, pretty much Harlem. The first is better but not great and probably has roaches no washing machine in building and walk up.[/quote

Lol! 109 and Amsterdam is DEFINITELY Not Harlem! More like approaching Morningside Heights. Or Manhattan Valley. But not Harlem. Harlem doesn't start (on the west side) till 125th

Have you been up there? Amsterdam gets very shady it's all projects there.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:32 pm
I'm not a huge fan of Washington Heights but I guess nothing should be out of the question... how much cheaper is it?

My kids are 2 and 4 and we could theoretically move out of town in about 3 years (5 and 7?) we are staying in this area for higher education reasons meanwhile. I would only do a temporary wall thing if the room were really big in the first place because I am trying to move OUT of a closet and don't just want to get back into one (even if it would be a bit bigger... I need to get out of this super crampy feeling back into sunlight and open space)

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:
Have you been up there? Amsterdam gets very shady it's all projects there.

Yes I've been there and I don't disagree. I wouldn't live there. But that still doesn't make it Harlem!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:34 pm
You can get a very spacious 2 bedroom in Washington heights for that amount. Check out Fort Washington area- it's much nicer up there

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:35 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Washington Heights but I guess nothing should be out of the question... how much cheaper is it?

My kids are 2 and 4 and we could theoretically move out of town in about 3 years (5 and 7?) we are staying in this area for higher education reasons meanwhile. I would only do a temporary wall thing if the room were really big in the first place because I am trying to move OUT of a closet and don't just want to get back into one (even if it would be a bit bigger... I need to get out of this super crampy feeling back into sunlight and open space)

I hear you, but if space is a priority (more than say, lifestyle or convenience) manhattan doesn't seem like the right place for you. Sorry, but without having (spending) lots of money, living in anything but a cramped space just isn't realistic.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:36 pm
amother wrote:
You can get a very spacious 2 bedroom in Washington heights for that amount. Check out Fort Washington area- it's much nicer up there
Can you give me some names of streets or buildings that are nice for a frum family?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:37 pm
I don't need a huge amount of space, but we already did the dividing a living room into 2 rooms (one with no window) and it is not just city-cramped, it's sardine-cramped and stuffy in all seasons.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:38 pm
[quote="amother"]Can you give me some names of streets or buildings that are nice for a frum family?[/quote

Bennet is the main frum street. That's where the Shuls are, the mikvah etc. Mix of hashkafah and age people. Fort Washington avenue less populous, but nicer.

abby1776

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:43 pm
Above 96 street it can be block to block. There is a nice modern orthodox shul on 110th and broadway called ramat orah. But 109th and Amsterdam is definately not the best block, heavily Hispanic and under privileged. After I graduated from Columbia as a single person I lived on 108th and Amsterdam which wasn't great but 109th was worse and due to the strong concentration of Hispanic families unlikely to have gentrified much.

abby1776

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:45 pm
If you are going to live above 96th street stay west of Broadway (west end ave and riverside).

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:49 pm
abby1776 wrote:
If you are going to live above 96th street stay west of Broadway (west end ave and riverside).

Disagree. I'm on CPW and 97th and it's ideal: tons of shopping on Columbus, subway on CPW and of course, the park on my corner.

abby1776

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 10:00 pm
superdanni wrote:
Disagree. I'm on CPW and 97th and it's ideal: tons of shopping on Columbus, subway on CPW and of course, the park on my corner.

You are right. That area has really gotten developed since I lived there with a whole foods. But above 104th I would be wary.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 11:01 pm
superdanni wrote:

Yeah but you're the one paying over $4000 in rent, right? Well, for that price I'm glad you like the location!

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
Yeah but you're the one paying over $4000 in rent, right? Well, for that price I'm glad you like the location!

Ha! No way! We live in a studio! No 2 bedroom here! I was just saying how mich apartments in my building go for, not how much I pay!!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 11:47 pm
Would you consider the Lower East Side? Nice community, a 2 bedroom sublease should be 2500- 2800.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 11:51 pm
amother wrote:
Would you consider the Lower East Side? Nice community, a 2 bedroom sublease should be 2500- 2800.

We considered it but did not find any available apartments, looking for $2500 or under. Would consider a large 1-BR in the co-ops because they are very large there, could make it work. Did not find.

abby1776

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 1:34 am
You might consider the Far East side. The farther from the subway the cheaper it gets. It's not trendy or cool so the rents may be lower. There is a nice modern orthodox shul on 96th and Lexington - Orach Chaim. You could even potentially live north of MT Sinai and walk down. Lower East Harlem is in the process of gentrification and has more bang for your buck.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 9:04 am
abby1776 wrote:
You might consider the Far East side. The farther from the subway the cheaper it gets. It's not trendy or cool so the rents may be lower. There is a nice modern orthodox shul on 96th and Lexington - Orach Chaim. You could even potentially live north of MT Sinai and walk down. Lower East Harlem is in the process of gentrification and has more bang for your buck.

But I need frum friends for my kids - if it's first starting to gentrify that probably means there's not much there yet?

abby1776

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 11:54 am
amother wrote:
But I need frum friends for my kids - if it's first starting to gentrify that probably means there's not much there yet?

If you live on 110th and fifth that is power east Harlem but within walking distance of Orach Chaim on 96th - 15 blocks. and the people who live in the upper east side. It depends how far you are willing to walk. If you want to live in a building with lots of frum families move to the lower east side, queens, riverdale, or Washington heights.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating