Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Frizzy hair sheds ALL OVER THE PLACE - is this normal?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:00 pm
My daughter has shoulder length frizzy thick hair. It is getting out of hand that it is all over the place. When I brush her hair in the morning, my lap and the brush get covered in hair, our carpets are full of her hair. Yet, there seems to be no shortage on her head!
Just wondering if this is normal, and what can I possibly do to lessen the shedding? My vacuum cleaner is completely full of hair!

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:42 pm
lol... I have curly hair, and when it's brushed it frizzy. either way, I shed. everywhere. totally normal.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:48 pm
I'm in my 30s with thick frizzy hair and I shed like crazy - the shower is disgusting after showers, and before mikva picking off the hair is a pain in the kneck. Its normal.

But - you may not want to brush her hair so often. Brushing will likely increase the frizz. I would just brush in the bath or shower and when wet.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 10:01 pm
Those with frizzy hair shouldn't brush their hair! This will make it more frizzy, and yes it's normal that it falls out. She probably has thick, good quality hair and if it wasn't brushed so often it wouldn't fall out as much as it does (although it is normal to lose hair every day which naturallly gets replaced with time)
You can use lots of conditioner on her hair if she gets tangles. This should prevent the need for brushing. I have thick curly hair and I never brush my hair ever. If I brushed it, it would become so frizzy. Since I don't brush it, but use conditioner and serum or some ither hair product as it's drying, it retains its natural curl/wave. Your daughter probably has lovely naturally wavy/curly hair. Don't brush this out as it will only enhance the frizz. Also, no hair will fall out Smile

amother

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 8:21 am
Thanks for the replies. However, I brush her hair every morning - how else do I not get it to look like a lion's mane for school, if I don't brush it?? She sleeps in a pony, but it still manages to look fierce in the morning.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for the replies. However, I brush her hair every morning - how else do I not get it to look like a lion's mane for school, if I don't brush it?? She sleeps in a pony, but it still manages to look fierce in the morning.

is it curly when it dries naturally? we curly girls never go near a brush/comb unless we're in the shower. is it going from curly to frizzy? that's what I'm asking. if that's the case, you can put some leave in conditioner your hands, and use fingers to gently pull it back into a pony. that's our drill.. we welcome your daughter to the club. so many curly tips, we know them all, if you need to know more. there are also youtube videos for curly hair upkeep.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 1:41 pm
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, her hair is curly. However, not as much as it used to be. I used to be able to twist her pony into 1 long bottle curl - and it would stay all day, however, since we cut her hair last, it has not been the case, the frizz is just taking over.
Would LOVE as many tips as you can give me. I will also check out youtube as well. We have been using the Suave Keratin Duo in the shower, and it seems to be working although the shedding is getting out of control. Will try to use my hands instead of a brush...

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, her hair is curly. However, not as much as it used to be. I used to be able to twist her pony into 1 long bottle curl - and it would stay all day, however, since we cut her hair last, it has not been the case, the frizz is just taking over.
Would LOVE as many tips as you can give me. I will also check out youtube as well. We have been using the Suave Keratin Duo in the shower, and it seems to be working although the shedding is getting out of control. Will try to use my hands instead of a brush...

may I ask how old she is? has her hair always been curly?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 2:03 pm
Yes, she is 6. Her hair has always been curly, but like I said it's more frizzy than curly since we cut her hair before Pesach this past year.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 2:26 pm
I ask because hair can change texture--was curly as an infant, then wavy, then puberty hit and the nightmare of "bozo the clown" hit. this was 100 years ago, before gel, when the only thing for hair was dippity-do. (I'm really aging myself here...)

my own personal tips/observations
--the wetter my hair is when I let it start to dry--naturally, or with a blow dryer with a diffuser, very important!--the better the curls. I also blow dry upside down for better curls. why? no idea. it works.
--product wise, I use an organic gel called "fixative" from image, a small company in california. I buy it on the internet. I use this after the shower regardless of how my hair is going to dry. the john frieda products are fabulous, not insanely expensive, and help keep frizz away. and they don't leave hair crunchy.

really, you'll notice a huge difference by combing the conditioner in shower, using a light gel/leave-in after it's washed, and then never using a brush. ever.

Elbowmac

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 2:55 pm
As the owner of a curly/frizzy mane of my own, I agree with the above advice.

Certainly try to avoid brushing your daughter's hair when dry. Comb it out (or use your fingers to gently separate the tangles) when wet in the shower.

Leave in conditiors and cream-gels are your friend here! Lately, I've been doing oil treatments too. I'm enjoying "Marvelous Oil Frizz Defy" by Garnier.

There's also mousse, which will give your daughter's curls more definition, but her hair may look "wet" and feel crunchy using this.

Allow to air dry whenever possible.

If you really want to brush it in between showers, fill a squirt bottle with water and use it to dampen your daughter's hair first.

Edited to add: As others have said, the shedding is completely normal. Somewhat of an annoyance, but normal. I find my hair everywhere. Sigh.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 7:06 pm
Is there something about the cut she was given that has made her hair more frizzy? Next time it can be discussed with the hairdresser. They are open to hearing what the client wants and giving them advice as to what would suit them and their hair type best.
It would be best to wash her hair as little aa possible. I would say no more than twice a week. Curly hair tends to be thicker, and thick hair can go longer without being washed, as it tends to take longer to get greasy. That is a great thing. Also, thicker hair is usually dryer than thin hair, so going a few more days without washing helps to make the hair sit better and benefits from the natural oils increasing. This will decrease the frizziness. Hair is always the most frizzy and sits less well the day of washing it.
Also, you could try putting her hair in a plait when she goes to sleep.
Above all don't brush it. Could also try putting a little serum in her hair when it's damp. Serum is great for frizzy hair, slightly straightens and adds an oiliness/moisture to dryer hair.
All curly hair naturally has some frizziness to it if some kind of product isn't used.
Please don't make her lose confidence over her hair, or make it an issue in front of her , it's really quite insignificant and she's beautiful and deserves to know that and feel that way about herself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics