Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood - anyone still school-less?
  Previous  1  2  3 16  17  18 19  20  21  Next

Chocomama

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 1:45 pm
//Also every school in Lakewood gets tons of funding for every single thing. They get their phones through a government program. If there is some program out there the Lakewood schools have it. You wouldn't believe how much of the schools are funded through government programs. So a new school would have a hard time getting all this funding and they will just need a lot more money to open.//

I just took a look at this and haven't followed this thread entirely.
But I wanted to point out that many schools in Brooklyn are also getting funding. Gov't E-rate is available for all non-public educational schools and I would think most, if not all schools, would take advantage of this. Furthermore, there are many gov't funding streams that are available to low-income populations which are channeled through non-profits and yeshivas. You can do a search and see this. Its all above board. I would think most non-public schools - whatever the religion or affiliation - are accessing whatever kind of public funding they can get. I would think that many Lkwd schools and the people that are community askanim are probably well aware and utilize as much as possible to their advantage.This isn't a crime nor is it only in Lakewood.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
So the Vaad is stopping anybody from opening a playgroup on a different scheduale?

(BTW We own our own business with a number of emplyess so we get what it's like to not be on the same scheduale as the playgroup Morah, but we are not blaming the town, the Vaad, or anybody else. That is the reality of Lakewood if we were not willing to accept that we would move to Brooklyn , the Five Town's. Monsey or a host of other place's which do not have that problem. We want to live in Lakewood so we deal with Lakewood's realities.)

And I am still waiting for any poster who has felt the right to bash and rip the Vaad and town of Lakewood to list a single thing the Vaad can do differently that would alleviate the current crisis.

It's funny how poster's can bash at will but have a hard time coming up with anything constructive (or it can be that when you go down the mental checklist you start realizing they have done awhole lot of thing's to try and deal with the issue)

I did not mean to, nor am I blaming the vaad for the playgroup issue. I was responding to the poster who wrote that Lakewood is still running like a yeshiva town, with residents who aren't in yeshiva anymore. The playgroup issue and the numerous days off are a consequence of that.

And I am assuming then that you give all of your employees off every time the schools, playgroups, and babysitters are off, because that is the reality of living in Lakewood, is that right?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:55 pm
Amother who is defending the vaad you obviously don't know how to read because I posted a few times suggestions on what the vaad can do to lessen the embarrassment for new parents applying. Go back and read them.

Ill list a few now.

1. Get a list of all future kids for boys and girls for the next two years and figure out now if a school needs to be opened. Why is the vaad waiting until August to wake up to start a New school? Why is it okay for parents to be worried sick for 13 months and not sleep for 13 months? If schools will be opened anyways why can we be organized and prevent pain.

2. Make a rule no students can get answers until every child is in a school.

3. Have a central location that all parents apply to with choice one two and three in preference of schools and this way every child will get a yes and we won't have three kids getting five yesses when they can only take one slot.

Ill write plenty more solutions later. The vaad waits until August because they don't want to deal with this and they hope someone else will of they push parents off.

Emotional

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 3:10 pm
Several years ago the girls' high schools did not open in September until every child was placed. Why did they stop that?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 4:14 pm
Emotional it was only for girls high schools elementary school started on time even though there were five elementary girls out of school and high school started five days later with ten girls still out of school and no one caring about the last ten girls. It never happened again because no one cared.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
I did not mean to, nor am I blaming the vaad for the playgroup issue. I was responding to the poster who wrote that Lakewood is still running like a yeshiva town, with residents who aren't in yeshiva anymore. The playgroup issue and the numerous days off are a consequence of that.

And I am assuming then that you give all of your employees off every time the schools, playgroups, and babysitters are off, because that is the reality of living in Lakewood, is that right?

I'm actually pretty flexible with my employee's, as I am with myself. You can usually find a babysitter for those day's if not it's they have have brought thier kid's with them to work. On other time's they take off and make uo the hour's other time's.

We are pretty focused on that fact that we work to live and do not live to work and want our work environment to reflect that, which mean's that I view my personal career as being a "mommy" and my work as something I do. If you wnat that then you have to run your business like that.
At least that's my opinion.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
Amother who is defending the vaad you obviously don't know how to read because I posted a few times suggestions on what the vaad can do to lessen the embarrassment for new parents applying. Go back and read them.

Ill list a few now.

1. Get a list of all future kids for boys and girls for the next two years and figure out now if a school needs to be opened. Why is the vaad waiting until August to wake up to start a New school? Why is it okay for parents to be worried sick for 13 months and not sleep for 13 months? If schools will be opened anyways why can we be organized and prevent pain.

2. Make a rule no students can get answers until every child is in a school.

3. Have a central location that all parents apply to with choice one two and three in preference of schools and this way every child will get a yes and we won't have three kids getting five yesses when

they can only take one slot.

Ill write plenty more solutions later. The vaad waits until August because they don't want to deal with this and they hope someone else will of they push parents off.

You raise some pretty thoughtful point's. I'm not a member of the Vaad and neither is my DH, though he has worked with them and the Rav Malkiel on several issue's (FD: When he worked with them he actually did not agree with how they went about it and made that clear to them. However he also made clear that he disagreed with tactic's and decision's he still respected them and what they were trying to do. That's probebly why he formed a good relationship with them even though they were on "opposite side's)

1) There is and has been attempt's on finding out "future growth". Many school's send out form's asking parent's exactly how many sibling's they will need slot's for the for the next couple of year's.
However it's a really hard thing to pull off that very omportant goal completly.
What about new people moving in?
What about people who move out and slot's open up?
It's more then you think.
And in spite of that they still have a rough idea of exactly how many slot's they need for the next year. And no they don't wait till August to get a new school opened, just sometime's it take's a
long time to get someone vetted and committed and have all the detail'sand permit's worked out.
In the last 2 or 3 year's they have had 7 or 8 boy's and girl school's open, each one took time and resource's they cannt work like machine's and when they have sadly the school's ended up closing.

2) They actually have tried to implement a rule that no child can get an answer till alll do and it didn't work and actually caused more anguish then it prevented.

3) I think they have tried that as well and partially succeaded. It used to be parent's did not apply to more then one school, they were pretty successful in ensuring that each parent has to apply to 3 school's.
It used to be they were scrambling a week or two before school started to find out who was not in school, now they have a system in place that they know before hand.
And parent's do not have to wait till August, I don't know where you got that from, I think it's actually before Shavuos that they start publicy asking all parent's who's daughter's are not yet in school to please notify them. However many parent's do not for a lot of reason's. So some part's of what your suggestion entail's are in palce some were tried and failed., and some will probably be tried again.

monseychick

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 5:42 pm
amother wrote:
Emotional it was only for girls high schools elementary school started on time even though there were five elementary girls out of school and high school started five days later with ten girls still out of school and no one caring about the last ten girls. It never happened again because no one cared.

http://www.vosizneias.com/2023.....open/

Reb Elyashev ztzl is no longer around..

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 5:45 pm
amother wrote:
I'm actually pretty flexible with my employee's, as I am with myself. You can usually find a babysitter for those day's if not it's they have have brought thier kid's with them to work. On other time's they take off and make uo the hour's other time's.

We are pretty focused on that fact that we work to live and do not live to work and want our work environment to reflect that, which mean's that I view my personal career as being a "mommy" and my work as something I do. If you wnat that then you have to run your business like that.
At least that's my opinion.

No offense, but people who have Uncle Sam money and mommy and daddy money, and the business is extra have the luxury of talking like this from my life experience...

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 5:46 pm
There has never been a questionnaire sent out to all families of lakewood stating their kids ages. Schools send one out for siblings only in September to see how many slots they have available for new students but it doesn't give an accurate count for new registration. I have heard heads of schools say this year will be a tough year because there are so many kids but I have never seen them do anything besides make such a comment.

There is no reason why a questionnaire is not sent to every family in Lakewood. Even if ten families move in and there is ten more kids they might be short ten slots which is way better than 150 slots like they were this year. 150 kids out of school is inexcusable.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
No offense, but people who have Uncle Sam money and mommy and daddy money, and the business is extra have the luxury of talking like this from my life experience...

That's a pretty offensive comment to make especially considering the fac that it could'nt be more wrong.

Trust our business is not extra and B"h doe snot have to be extra.

But yes I readily admit to the fact that without tremendous siyata dishmaya we would be like a lot of people with colege degree's and the like in today's economy.

In a bad spot.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:
There has never been a questionnaire sent out to all families of lakewood stating their kids ages. Schools send one out for siblings only in September to see how many slots they have available for new students but it doesn't give an accurate count for new registration. I have heard heads of schools say this year will be a tough year because there are so many kids but I have never seen them do anything besides make such a comment.

There is no reason why a questionnaire is not sent to every family in Lakewood. Even if ten families move in and there is ten more kids they might be short ten slots which is way better than 150 slots like they were this year. 150 kids out of school is inexcusable.

School's do not sen one out in September for that year, they send one asking about the following year or two. And like I pointed out "new registration" is something that is very hard to gage.
Each year there are families moving back to Lakewood from Eretz Yisroel.

Should they send the q's out to Yerusholayim?

There are new familie's moving in from Brooklyn and other places.

There are families moving OOT that do not know till the last minute I.e thje job opening came through , the kollel took them in for the new zman.

The only really good solid number they can get is of sibling's and and percentage x to that which is what they try and do.

And because you "don't see them" doing anything that mean's they are'nt.

What are they supposed to do post daily bulletin's of each meeting they had over it, every idea thrown accross the table? Each principal shoul let you know very time he or she is pressured to open another class or another building?

I mean seriously do you honestly think all the new Mosdos that open up each year, all the new expansion's that take place, they are all only planned out in August?

Emotional

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 6:01 pm
monseychick wrote:
http://www.vosizneias.com/20236/2008/09/11/lakewood-nj-schools-given-the-go-ahead-to-open/

Reb Elyashev ztzl is no longer around..

Quoted from the above link:
Quote:
According to a spokesman from the Lakewood Vaad who told VIN News, that the schools went out of their way to comply with the closure, and has worked out to accommodate every talmidah.

I don't understand why this didn't continue to work. It can't be that ALL the schools simply "don't care" about a ruling from the gedolim.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 6:10 pm
Then there should be an unbiased lottery or a screening exam given for the slots.. Those whose dont win lottery or score poorly on screening exam go to the new schools ...Take it or leave it..

That is a fairer, kinder, more compassionate, more 'Torahdiker' way to go for the 'Ir HaTorah'

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 6:11 pm
I have a son in a top yeshiva and they send out the form in August. My girls go to Bais Tova and forms are first sent out after succos. So please tell me when do they ask for siblings a year in advance after registration for that year stsrted

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 6:14 pm
Amother defending the vaad your husband must be part of the exclusive club that was able to join the vaad. Deny it all you want but you keep making up things the vaad does that they never ever did.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 7:09 pm
amother wrote:
Then there should be an unbiased lottery or a screening exam given for the slots.. Those whose dont win lottery or score poorly on screening exam go to the new schools ...Take it or leave it..

That is a fairer, kinder, more compassionate, more 'Torahdiker' way to go for the 'Ir HaTorah'

Why in the world should there be a "lottery" for the slot's and how would that help anything?

This is not one giant system, not even close.

Most parent's who send to AT or Bais Rivkah would not even dream of sending to Bais Faiga.

Most parent's who send to Bnos Brocha would not even dream of sending to Bnos Deveroah.

Most parent's who send to Bnos Melech would not even think of sending to bnos Peninah.

And will the girl's going to a Chassidish Bais Yackov go to a Litvish one?

You can throw out "it should be like this or like that" however the fact is that it has to be realisitc, doable.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 7:11 pm
amother wrote:
I have a son in a top yeshiva and they send out the form in August. My girls go to Bais Tova and forms are first sent out after succos. So please tell me when do they ask for siblings a year in advance after registration for that year stsrted

I don't know about in your particular school, However in the Bais Yackov that I send my girl's to (one of the larger one's in town) sent us form's in August of this year asking us how many sibling's we would need slot's for next year.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:
Amother defending the vaad your husband must be part of the exclusive club that was able to join the vaad. Deny it all you want but you keep making up things the vaad does that they never ever did.

If my DH would be a mamber of the Vaad then would'nt I be privy to exactly what they did?

However as I mentioned my DH is not and never has been a member of the Vaad.
However it's not to hard to find out the exact date when the Vaad begin's trying to find out exactly how many children need placement. Do a search on The Lakewood Scoop's website, it's pretty well publicized.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:

Most parent's who send to Bnos Melech would not even think of sending to bnos Peninah.

This may be off on a tangent, but as a Bnos Penina parent I can tell you that a huge percentage of our parent body are old-world kollel parents. Not bugaboo-pushing kollel wives but genuine "being happy with less" families. Not "frum image" but genuine frum. And yes there is some variety in the school - because Mrs. Paskesz firmly believes in giving a fair chance to any yiddishe neshoma, as long as she has the space.
So stop arranging the Lakewood schools into some kind of contrived hierarchy. It's this kind of outlook that creates a yucky elitist attitude regardings schools here.
Page 17 of 21   Previous  1  2  3 16  17  18 19  20  21  Next Recent Topics