Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
The Cat in the Hat Movie-is it inappropriate?

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 3:01 pm
I usually check out movies on Common Sense Media before letting my kids watch them. I'm getting mixed feelings about The Cat in the Hat. People are writing that there is a lot of s*xual innuendo. If my kids are fairly sheltered will it all just go over their head? One example it says is that the cat says "dirty hoe" when talking about a garden hose. My kids definitely won't get that one.
Also, it says there is a romance between the mother and a neighbor, is that really stressed or just hinted at?

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 3:18 pm
I think it is overly sexualized with a lot of images that your kids will get (like Paris Hilton dancing very suggestively and the cat has a noticeable reaction - maybe they won't get the "reaction" part, but they'll see the suggestive dancing) and it's just kind of gratuitously gross and unnecessary. Totally kills the book.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 3:31 pm
Thank you. I thought it would be a fun movie for them to watch, but I guess not.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 3:58 pm
The newest one that came out a few years ago is very dirty- I wouldn't let my kids watch it.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 4:22 pm
yikes. I just watched the trailer.

It looks like the freakiest movie ever.

I wouldn't let my kids watch it because of that. (dirty or not)

Frumdoc

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 5:20 pm
Oy vey, have Hollywood (or the equivalent) ruined the cat in the hat by zexing it up? Crying

Dr Seuss is seriously one of my favorite writers, when I'm feeling down I get one of his books out and read it aloud just to hear all the funny sounds and rhythms and rhymes, it just hits a happy place in my head.

Eeugh, Paris Hilton in Dr Seuss, too horrendous for words Puke

ima_dina084

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 6:12 pm
I even stopped letting my kids read the cat in the hat books ! I noticed they were acting out the cats behavior ... Not my ideal role model, that cat.

debsey

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 7:18 pm
glutenless wrote:
Thank you. I thought it would be a fun movie for them to watch, but I guess not.

It totally kills the book, IMHO. I dk what the point of killing it was. Totally not faithful to the spirit of Dr. Seuss......

KeepCalm

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:06 pm
http://www.kids-in-mind.com is a website that gives there own rating for s-x, violence and language. They also describe in detail the scenes so that you can decide whether or not it is okay for your kids to watch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics