Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Hotel in Catskills - Raleigh, Chalet, or Oppenheimers

debsey

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:45 am
I have a week to spend in the Catskills. Which one of these three is the best? Any good day trips near any of these?
debsey

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 1:45 am
None are really perfect. Ask tons of questions. Go see it if possible first. Go where your priorities lie. Some places have better food, some better rooms, all are overpriced for what they are giving you.
You can spend a week in a luxurious hotel in NJ and get your own food for a lot less....and be in a clean room that is maintained daily.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 4:50 pm
debsey - you specifically want to go to the catskills - right?

you are asking about hotels - I assume you do not want to shlep linen and deal with food. (good choice!)

I see there are threads comparing these hotels a few yrs ago.

I never went to the Raleigh -- is it a more modern crowd? Not sure

Chalet attracts lots of chassidim --- not sure if yeshivish people go there --- I'm sure they do but I know chassidim go and I heard that it's nice.

Oppenheimers will cost you the least. It's an old dilapidated building-- you will feel like you are in camp but the crowd is yeshivish -- there are a lot of older people who go there too. They serve 3 meals a day, have a pool a day camp. nothing luxurious at all ...think old style bungalow colony but you get served the food. I go there every summer .... if you have more questions about oppenheimers I can anser you

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:52 pm
Thanks for the responses. I don't really specifically want Catskills so much as I want:
1) food
2) clean rooms NOT cleaned by me
3) swimming for me and my girls (and my husband and sons, but not as crucial cuz they swim all summer in day camp)
4) Accessibility to some sort of interesting day trip.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 10:03 pm
so I guess you can call each place and get a price to help you decide. They all offer the food and rooms.

hunter mountain is near oppenheimers ... there's a chair lift (cable car) not much else to do in that area - maybe hiking or a park

Is price the most important to you?

Is comfort and niceness of rooms most important?

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
so I guess you can call each place and get a price to help you decide. They all offer the food and rooms.

hunter mountain is near oppenheimers ... there's a chair lift (cable car) not much else to do in that area - maybe hiking or a park

Is price the most important to you?

Is comfort and niceness of rooms most important?

Clean is important, but by clean I mean no moldy odor and no bugs. I don't need gleaming, super-hygenic European fanciness.
The food needs to be good. The pool needs to be nice enough that it feels inviting.

syrima

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:48 pm
The Raleigh has a really nice and big indoor pool. it is also renovated - the rooms we stayed in were very nice. And the food was good and plenty of it.
Don't know how the others compare.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:54 pm
Oppenheimer's will definitely have moldy odor rooms.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:20 pm
If it is the Chalet make sure you get a new room. better then the old rooms.
You have to bring the basic toiletries like soap, shampoo.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 5:23 pm
Lakehouse in Woodridge. Clean, great pool, & delicious food!

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
Lakehouse in Woodridge. Clean, great pool, & delicious food!

What's the crowd at the Lakehouse?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 7:49 pm
FTR, all those places above have similar crowds. All Chassidsh with a mix of some typical boro park kind of people.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:43 am
where did you end up going??

How was it?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 10:07 am
I just came back from Oppenheimer's. My room did NOT have a moldy smell, the hallway did smell a bit. My room was simple but clean and very decent. The food is DELICIOUS and the Oppenheimers are delightful friendly people who want to make you satisfied.

monseychick

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 10:12 am
One goes to Fleishmans for the food and only the food..... LOL

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 10:26 am
I also just came back from oppenheimers.

It's funny about the food ..... I always thought the food was not good at all but we went since that's all we could afford.

This year the food was really good! I'm wondering if they got a new cook?

No one goes there for a luxurious experience .... the place is far from that! BUT it's a get away in the mountains with nice frum people and they serve you 3 meals a day.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:16 am
monseychick wrote:
One goes to Fleishmans for the food and only the food..... LOL

Well what would YOU go there for?

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
Well what would YOU go there for?

I think she just meant , if you want a nice room with the usual amenities , it's not for you I love their food , but I'm on a big diet now, so I can't go Sad

debsey

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
where did you end up going??

How was it?

I'm the OP. We ended up in BALTIMORE! I had an appointment near there, so we made a week of it. It was so much fun. Next year, though, I'm seriously considering the Catskills. It was fun in Baltimore, but it was a shlep to bring along food (yeah, I know there are restaurants, but we stayed on the inner harbor, and it was easier to just bring food and eat in the motel room)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics