Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
What is going on up in monroe?

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 8:14 am
"United Monroe Update

Hello,

This Sunday, August 17th, at 2pm we will be handing out Yiddish flyers to the citizens of Kiryas Joel.

The flyers say this:

We are your neighbors and we want good relations. We are not against you, your culture or your religion. We support your right to practice your faith.

We have a problem with the government of Kiryas Joel who lack transparency, do not speak kindly of their neighbors and wish for you to believe that we are against you. We are not.

KJ leaders' actions violate environmental laws and have no concern for the feelings of the surrounding communities. The leaders of Kiryas Joel do not respond to requests for information at the Village Hall and have orchestrated fraudulent elections. The leaders of Kiryas Joel are behind the annexation request for 507 acres.

We welcome the Kiryas Joel citizens to live among us, we simply wish to maintain the rural beauty and character of the Hudson Valley region. Kiryas Joel leaders wish to expand the borders of Kiryas Joel in all directions to build large, high density apartments. This would change the landscape of the community and environment. The Kiryas Joel leaders did not wish to have a conversation but instead attack us as being "antisemitic" simply for opposing the annexation of Town of Monroe land into Kiryas Joel.

All the people of Monroe wish for is honest, open dialog and fair government. We want the leaders of Kiryas Joel to be good neighbors."

We plan to dress modestly, and meet at the KJ Park and Ride on Route 105 at the entrance of Kiryas Joel. We will then split into small groups and hand out flyers.

We hope that you will join us! We think this is a positive step towards informing the citizens of Kiryas Joel of the facts- not the fiction and propaganda their leaders would like for them to believe.

Thank you for doing what you can! See you on Sunday at 2pm. I hope to see many of you there!

Best wishes,

Emily Convers and the United Monroe Team
www.UnitedMonroe.org
UnitedMonroe@gmail.com"

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:15 am
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I wish both sides luck at coming to a satisfactory conclusion.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:17 am
am reading without context, so I don't actually know what the story is up there. monroe wants to separate from kj? kj wants to expand?

Barbara

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:28 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
am reading without context, so I don't actually know what the story is up there. monroe wants to separate from kj? kj wants to expand?

KJ wants to annex land from Monroe. The opposition claims that it will change what Monroe is like, vastly increasing population density. The fact that there was a map drawn up by the KJ faction detailing where the Jews live did not endear them to the Monroe faction. There also a lot of fear because of what had happened with the school board in Monsey.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:35 am
Barbara wrote:
KJ wants to annex land from Monroe. The opposition claims that it will change what Monroe is like, vastly increasing population density. The fact that there was a map drawn up by the KJ faction detailing where the Jews live did not endear them to the Monroe faction. There also a lot of fear because of what had happened with the school board in Monsey.

thx

Zehava

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:49 am
I commend them for trying, but to me it's pretty obvious that this won't work.
Kjers are pretty sheltered for the most part. Non-Jews coming in and handing out flyers in a translated Yiddish...
Ther average joe there isn't involved in politics even. It's nice though that they're trying.

lifesagift

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 10:15 am
Zehava wrote:
I commend them for trying, but to me it's pretty obvious that this won't work.
Kjers are pretty sheltered
Ther average joe there isn't involved in politics even.

Im assuming that youre just assuming.... But I dont think is true. Most ppl there are as concerned about their village as the next guy, perhaps more, considering how complicated this could become. im crossing my fingers and hoping for the best for both of them. Culture clashes are never simple, we should know...

Maya

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 10:58 am
I think they are underestimating the influence of the KJ leaders. No one in KJ will be taking those flyers.

skymile

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:13 am
lifesagift wrote:
Im assuming that youre just assuming.... But I dont think is true. Most ppl there are as concerned about their village as the next guy, perhaps more, considering how complicated this could become. im crossing my fingers and hoping for the best for both of them. Culture clashes are never simple, we should know...

do you even know what that means?! Rolling Eyes

Growing

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:41 am
What happened with the school board in Monsey?

skymile

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:46 am
Growing wrote:
What happened with the school board in Monsey?

something about the Jewish community not paying the school tax because they have no use for the public school system in Monsey. and also it's a big issue that property tax is TREMENDOUS in Rockland County.

Lady Bug

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:56 am
skymile wrote:
something about the Jewish community not paying the school tax because they have no use for the public school system in Monsey. and also it's a big issue that property tax is TREMENDOUS in Rockland County.

It think more like voting in Jewish members to the board, and those members then had an awful relationship with the non-Jewish members and tried to control the board.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:18 am
skymile wrote:

The biggest problem with school taxes in Monsey is that most of the funding goes to retirement pensions. Those pensions are quite large (speaking from knowledge - I know a lot of retired teachers from the East Ramapo school district). So school taxes are high, the schools are poorly rated and the school board is comprised of a lot of frum Jews. When they talk about cutting programs, they are cutting programs from other people since the frum board members have no kids in PS. In addition, there was some shady business with selling a former public school for way less than the market value.

busymom

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:28 am
skymile wrote:

FTR, I don't think this flyer has anything at all to do with the school board in Monsey. Additionally, it is simply untrue that the Jewish community doesn't pay school taxes. A typical home owner here pays upwards of $8,000 property taxes, with a big chunk of that going for school tax. In fact, the ratio of cost per public school student is one of the highest in the country. And yes, since there are many frum people in the community, eventually they wanted representation, and Jewish board members are now the majority. The anger of public school parents for cut programs is directed towards them.

Sadly, much effort is wasted from having public school parents and the frum community fight each other. The solution to our problem is not local, but in Albany. Currently, the local school district gets most of their funds based on the number of public school students in the district, NOT overall students. However, the district IS obligated to provide certain services to ALL students, such as transportation. The services it provides to frum chidren, as well as other children in private schools, who number in the thousands, cut into the remaining funds. Thus cuts are made to public school programs. The solution, which some people are working on, is to change the law so that the district receives certain funds based on OVERALL student enrollment.

I'm sorry for going off topic here, but Monsey has gotten a bad rap over this and there is so much misinformation, much of which is accepted as fact by Jews in other communities. It's a difficult situation, but Jews ARE paying huge amounts in taxes (they are the primary supporters of all the PS kids, in fact) and legally, they have all the right to elect frum board members.

ETA: I may be getting some details wrong. Possibly the transportation is funded per overall students. But the gist of what I wrote is accurate. Sadly, the local paper seems to enjoy fanning the flames of hatred between the communities rather than focusing on these issues and finding solutions.

skymile

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:51 am
CMIIW but another thing I've heard regarding the taxes and school is that a huge number of the students are parents of illegal immigrants and they don't contribute to any of the taxes. the ones contributing are home owners, of which are consisting of LOTS and LOTS of jews (who don't send to PS)

anon for this

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:52 pm
skymile wrote:
CMIIW but another thing I've heard regarding the taxes and school is that a huge number of the students are parents of illegal immigrants and they don't contribute to any of the taxes. the ones contributing are home owners, of which are consisting of LOTS and LOTS of jews (who don't send to PS)

If the parents are living in the school district, don't they still pay school taxes through their rent? Or do you mean that the parents are living in another district, but sending their children to school in Monsey? If it's the latter, then the district can identify these children and send them to their home district.

skymile

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 8:52 am
anon for this wrote:
If the parents are living in the school district, don't they still pay school taxes through their rent? Or do you mean that the parents are living in another district, but sending their children to school in Monsey? If it's the latter, then the district can identify these children and send them to their home district.

oh please. a significant number of the Spanish community are squatters or live together with a few families in one house. therefore they don't pay nearly as much taxes as the Jewish homeowners
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics