Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Lubavitch vs other Hassidic
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 8:17 am
Can someone please explain the difference to me? I always thought Lubavitch were Hasidic, but this site has told me differently.

(Anon because I don't want to look like a moron.)

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 8:52 am
Short answer:

Lubavitch is what other chassidic groups would look like if they were more open to outsiders and had fewer and less strict rules about interacting with the world. Obviously they don't want that so that's that.

Long answer:

You'd have to read up on history of chassidus starting from the Baal Shem Tov, to the Mezritcher Maggid and his talmidim. Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi, founder of Chabad Chassidus, pioneered a new approach which emphasized connecting to Hashem through intense contemplation and intellectual effort, which leads to love and fear of Hashem, rather than emotional experience alone.

But you'd also have to understand the history of Russian vs. Polish Jewry as well as decisions made by respective Rebbes in the years immediately following World War II to understand how the communities developed in different ways as they reestablished themselves after the Shoah. Other chassidic groups made it a priority to reestablish their own communities while the Lubavitcher Rebbe made it a priority to rebuild Jewish life in general. Looking at it 50-70 years later you can see how that approach has had its pluses and minuses. Chabad today is a huge range of people who identify with the Rebbe's goals and philosophy and recognize him as their Rebbe but don't necessarily adhere to every single detail of halachah or Chabad minhag. Other chassidic groups have more rigid definitions of who does or doesn't belong and what one must do to be part of the community, so they tend to be more insular and monolithic.

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:03 am
Lubavitch IS Chassidish.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:06 am
amother wrote:
Short answer:

Lubavitch is what other chassidic groups would look like if they were more open to outsiders and had fewer and less strict rules about interacting with the world. Obviously they don't want that so that's that.

Long answer:

You'd have to read up on history of chassidus starting from the Baal Shem Tov, to the Mezritcher Maggid and his talmidim. Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi, founder of Chabad Chassidus, pioneered a new approach which emphasized connecting to Hashem through intense contemplation and intellectual effort, which leads to love and fear of Hashem, rather than emotional experience alone.

But you'd also have to understand the history of Russian vs. Polish Jewry as well as decisions made by respective Rebbes in the years immediately following World War II to understand how the communities developed in different ways as they reestablished themselves after the Shoah. Other chassidic groups made it a priority to reestablish their own communities while the Lubavitcher Rebbe made it a priority to rebuild Jewish life in general. Looking at it 50-70 years later you can see how that approach has had its pluses and minuses. Chabad today is a huge range of people who identify with the Rebbe's goals and philosophy and recognize him as their Rebbe but don't necessarily adhere to every single detail of halachah or Chabad minhag. Other chassidic groups have more rigid definitions of who does or doesn't belong and what one must do to be part of the community, so they tend to be more insular and monolithic.

OP here, can you point me toward a good place to start learning about this? (Clearly, Wikipedia is not the answer.)

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:11 am
watergirl wrote:
Lubavitch IS Chassidish.

OP here.
Which is what I used to believe, but I've heard otherwise on this board without explanation. We have two forums: Life in Lubavich, and The Chassidishe Velt making a clear distinction between the two. I have see conversations stating that they are not, or a different kind--so different they can't even me on the same groups.

I want to learn more about this, but have been unable to find any internet explanations other than some extremely biased nonsensical site about chabad being the mafia, clearly narishkeit.

Jeanette

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:20 am
http://www.chabad.org/search/k.....h.htm

You can start here if you want to learn more about Chabad philosophy.

I wouldn't presume to speak for other chassidic groups as to what they believe.

birthday

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:22 am
I personally think one of the main differences is - that non - lubavitch groups work on them self - to make them self the best they can be, which is not a bad thing. While lubavitchers focus in life is to help others see the beauty of Judaism,and help them to know no matter what they keep, hashem still loves them and they are always welcomed. While they r doing that they are also working on them self.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 1:25 pm
Lubavitch is Chabad and one of the only Chabad groups left; chochmah bina daas. Other chassidic groups are Chagas - chesses, gevurah, tifereth.

We've discussed this a million times here, do a search.

gittelchana

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:
Can someone please explain the difference to me? I always thought Lubavitch were Hasidic, but this site has told me differently.

(Anon because I don't want to look like a moron.)

The Baal Shem Tov was the founder of Chassidus. His student, the Maggid of Mezritch was his successor. The Maggid had many Talmidim who branched out into many "dynasties".

There are two general approaches to the teaching and dissemination of Chassidus. 1) The short-long route, referred to as Chaga"s (Chesed, Geverura, Tiferes) or Polish Chassidus. 2) The long-short route, reffered to as Chabad (Chochma, Bina, Daas) or Russian Chassidus.

The Talmud and Medrash tells a story of a great sage who was walking to a city. He came to a fork in the road and saw a child sitting there. He asked the child, which way do I go to get to the city? The child responded: this way is the long-short route, that way is the short-long route. He first tried the short-long way and found himself near the city in no time, but couldn't enter because there were vineyards in the way. He tried the other route and had to climb over a hill, but got right into the city.

This story teaches us two pathways in the service of Hashem. To reach the "city of G-d". The short-long way is where you attach yourself to a holy person and are spiritually uplifted by them to great heights. However, ultimately, it isn't your doing. The upside is, that it's easier. The downside, that it's not yours. This is why it's called Chaga"s. Because the main ingredient here is the emotional connection.

Chabad Chassidus is all about your own work. Hard work. Sometimes very hard work. The Rebbe gives you works of Chassidus to learn and internalize. He gives guidance and inspiration and motivation. But ultimately, it's your work.

gittelchana

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 1:42 pm
That's why it's called Chabad. The main ingredient is your intellect. To learn and internalize Chassidus with your mind, each according to their intellectual capabilities. To bring it from the mind to the emotions of the heart and into thought, speech and action.

Tanya was written as a guidebook for the long-short route.

There used to be other forms of Chabad Chassidus, but I don't think any of them survived the war. AFAIK, the only branch of Chabad today is Lubavitch.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 1:58 pm
Wikipedia might indeed be worth a glance about this. Just as a place to start.

I am very fond of Wikipedia although I know it is not the last word on things and can be wrong. Depending, depending, on what. But worth a look.

gittelchana

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 2:09 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Wikipedia might indeed be worth a glance about this. Just as a place to start.

I am very fond of Wikipedia although I know it is not the last word on things and can be wrong. Depending, depending, on what. But worth a look.

I haven't looked at Wikipedia. What I wrote is from my memory of Tanya class back in school. LOL From learning the Shaar Blatt of Tanya.

cs1

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 3:11 pm
gittelchana wrote:
I haven't looked at Wikipedia. What I wrote is from my memory of Tanya class back in school. LOL From learning the Shaar Blatt of Tanya.

Lol...go 9th grade tanya!!

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 4:19 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Lubavitch is Chabad and one of the only Chabad groups left; chochmah bina daas. Other chassidic groups are Chagas - chesses, gevurah, tifereth.

We've discussed this a million times here, do a search.

Do those other chassidic groups use the term Chagas? If you are talking to someone you can't see (so you can't tell from their clothes what they are) and you ask "Are you Chabad?", is the answer ever, "No, Chagas"?

There are 23 threads (not including this one) that match Chagas, so excuse me for not re-reading them all.

gittelchana

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 5:40 pm
cs1 wrote:
Lol...go 9th grade tanya!!

At least I remember something from 9th grade LOL

gittelchana

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 5:42 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Do those other chassidic groups use the term Chagas? If you are talking to someone you can't see (so you can't tell from their clothes what they are) and you ask "Are you Chabad?", is the answer ever, "No, Chagas"?

There are 23 threads (not including this one) that match Chagas, so excuse me for not re-reading them all.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know.

Chagas is a general term just like Chabad. How many people know the difference between the term Chabad and Lubavitch?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:21 pm
It's true that non-Chabad chassidim don't normally refer to themselves as Chagas.

On the other hand, I've never heard non-chabad chassidic women discuss chassidic philosophy at all. It's not like they can outline for you exactly what distinguishes Chabad from non-Chabad philosophy.

(And no, it's not who wears what.)

I don't know if this reflects the general state of learning for non-Chabad women or if studying chassidus in particular is just not a big deal for them.

Kitten

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 2:52 am
gittelchana wrote:
There used to be other forms of Chabad Chassidus, but I don't think any of them survived the war. AFAIK, the only branch of Chabad today is Lubavitch.

Chabad is overwhelmingly Lubavitch nowadays. There's another branch called Malochim. This (small) branch developed in the States. They have shuls in Williamsburg and Monsey.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:34 am
gittelchana wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. I don't know.

Chagas is a general term just like Chabad. How many people know the difference between the term Chabad and Lubavitch?

By "general term" do you mean "a term that Chabdniks use"?

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:42 am
amother wrote:
It's true that non-Chabad chassidim don't normally refer to themselves as Chagas.

On the other hand, I've never heard non-chabad chassidic women discuss chassidic philosophy at all. It's not like they can outline for you exactly what distinguishes Chabad from non-Chabad philosophy.

(And no, it's not who wears what.)

I don't know if this reflects the general state of learning for non-Chabad women or if studying chassidus in particular is just not a big deal for them.

OK, I'm not going to get an answer by asking non-Chabad chassidish women if they use the term themselves. So here's an experiment - non-Chabad chassidish women, could you please ask your husband or adult sons

1) What does "Chagas" mean?
2) Does that describe us?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics