Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Lubavitch vs other Hassidic
Previous  1  2  3

smily

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:11 pm
Thanks for infomation

gittelchana

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think you should use the term chagas if that's not the term they use for themselves.

Do you know this for a fact? That men don't study chassidus?

Misquote.

I said they don't really learn Chassidus, I never said they don't learn Chassidus.

Take a look at any dynasty of Chagas Chassidus, there aren't that many Sfarim because the emphasis is on connecting to the Rebbe. The amount of Chabad Chassidus Sfarim is astounding. And the style is such that everything is well explained.

Chabad has an organization in Borough Park and Israel to teach Chassidus to Chagas Chassidim. These centers are packed with people who are thirsty to learn because they don't get to do so in their respective Chassidic court.

gittelchana

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:19 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Irrelevant. Satmar is highly controversial but nobody questions whether they're "chassidish."

Lubavitch is considered set apart from other chassidic groups because of the perception that they are "more modern," don't dress according to chassidish standards, don't grow long payos, don't speak Yiddish exclusively, don't settle in a handful of enclaves, etc. Controversies about Moshiach have nothing to do with it.

I agree that the comment you quoted is irrelevant and hurtful.

But just as a side note, Satmar itself doesn't consider itself to be Chassidish. That's what they said quite forcefully during the late 70's - early 80's when they had major politics with Lubavitch....

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
so, let me ask you a question.

Why is all the learning and understanding of Chassidus relegated to men?

Can YOU explain the philosophical differences between Chabad and non-Chabad chassidus? (forget about the term Chagas -- just tell me what the basic teachings of Chassidus are, and how it differs from Litvish or other forms of Judaism. without talking about dress.)

I can't imagine why you're asking ME these questions.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 8:20 am
gittelchana wrote:
Misquote.

I said they don't really learn Chassidus, I never said they don't learn Chassidus.

Based on your responses I don't think you really learn chassidus either.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 11:20 am
gittelchana I think you need to be careful how you express what your trying to say and what you say. You may come across as insulting. Let op go learn and with time she will likely find out the difference of chabad and chagas. Let us be and sound respectful of all Frumer Yidden.

gittelchana

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 11:53 am
Yes, you're right. I got a little to heated in the discussion and overlooked some sensitivity to others.

I publicly apologize to anyone and everyone I may have offended.

chassidish

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 12:09 pm
It is quite simple. The term 'chassidish' has two meanings, one is what was founded by the Baal Shem Tov, and all groups following him, in one way or another, are called 'chasidim', with that Lubavitch is no different than Satmer Skver etc. The other meaning of Chassidish is what we use todays days as a certain life style, mainly in dress, with that Lubavitch is totally different and are not called chassidish.

Jeanette

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 12:42 pm
chassidish wrote:
It is quite simple. The term 'chassidish' has two meanings, one is what was founded by the Baal Shem Tov, and all groups following him, in one way or another, are called 'chasidim', with that Lubavitch is no different than Satmer Skver etc. The other meaning of Chassidish is what we use todays days as a certain life style, mainly in dress, with that Lubavitch is totally different and are not called chassidish.

this is very specific to the way chassidus has morphed in post-WW2 USA.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics