Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Tips on NOT making aliyah?

frummy613

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 12:02 pm
we plan on moving to israel for a year and NOT making aliyah, since it is a trial run.
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions re. staying a visitor in Israel?

The biggest obstacle we are finding right now is a car. How do we buy one without an israeli liscence? Do we need to get an israeli license?

As far as schooling for my kids, can they get admitted into any school as long as they have visas?
All advice is very welcome!
Thank you!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 12:07 pm
Dont know about schools but to buy a car you need to have an israeli license. (my parents just went through that after making aliyah.)

bookworm10

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 12:09 pm
My cousins tried out Israel for a year before they made Aliyah. They did have a car, either rented or something like that. They kept their American licenses.

I do not know much about the process, but my cousins were all in schools and it didn't seem like a problem. They ended up making Aliyah the next year.

heidi

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 2:04 pm
Sorry, going to be pretty vague too bcz. I don't have alot of hard facts. Many people in my community do this. They rent cars long term (usually their work pays). Local schools always accept their kids-- and high school kids also never have a problem as long as they can pay tuition.
Sorry I can't be more specific.
B'hatzlacha!

frummy613

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 6:11 pm
hey guys, thanks for teh responses!
The renting car option seems really expensive, just wondering fi there is a way to get around paying these rental car companies tons of $$!

joy613

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:26 pm
I know many non-Israeli citizens who have bought cars in Israel without an Israeli license.

I don't know the details exactly but the method they did it was called "passport to passport" or something like that. It's how non citizens buy cars there and they claimed it was actually cheaper because they didn't have to pay taxes.

I don't know how exactly this works and if it's even legal. But I guess you can look into it.
good luck!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:12 pm
Just a head's up, if you live in Israel for a year before you make Aliyah, you will not be able to collect any benefits from Nefesh b'Nefesh. I don't know if that will factor into your decision or not.

I wanted to move to Israel ASAP and immigrate from there, but N b'N told me that if I do that, I will not be eligible for any of their programs.

heidi

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:38 pm
Just to keep this in perspective: Buying even a used car in Israel can cost as much as $10,000 and that's for a small family car, 10 years old. So renting might be cheaper. Leasing in Israel involves putting down a percentage of the value of the car, and then paying a set rate each month.
As I mentioned, I have several friends who have made aliyah after living here for at least a year, and they all brought lifts which I assume means they had aliyah rights-- after all, NBN has a program for making aliyah from Israel. So please OP, look into all of this yourself.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 11:49 pm
You may want to think about how your health insurance will work. My aunt and uncle just made aliya since they're here half the year and they were having such a hard time managing on foreign insurance and paying privately so they wanted to enter the Kupat cholim system (Hah). But as older people they do see a lot of doctors in half year. You might not so it may not be a problem.

But - I'm not sure what you're "trying" for a year. Aliya is hard. It really requires a full commitment to work out. As tourists you'll end up getting absolutely no idea of how we all manage to live here even with the costs of things. Either you'll laugh at the cost of things like tuition or you'll be horrified at the cost of milk.

OK - you didn't ask for that advice but I'm not sure what a trial run is. If you don't like your neighbors you can always move - next year. Do your kids speak Hebrew? It will take at least a year for them to adjust.

ally

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:19 am
What type of visa are you planning to get?

frummy613

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:36 am
Hi ladies,
My husband is very stubborn about the idea of moving for a year only, he is leaving his business behind and letting it be run by someone else, so he wants to make sure the transition is smooth. he does not want the financial commitment of nbn, where you have stay for 3 years or pay a LOT of money back.
Thanks for all your advice! I'm not sure where to start researching, but I will try my best. this is definitely the more complicated option. (I wish I could just make aliyah!)

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:52 am
frummy613 wrote:
Hi ladies,
My husband is very stubborn about the idea of moving for a year only, he is leaving his business behind and letting it be run by someone else, so he wants to make sure the transition is smooth. he does not want the financial commitment of nbn, where you have stay for 3 years or pay a LOT of money back.
Thanks for all your advice! I'm not sure where to start researching, but I will try my best. this is definitely the more complicated option. (I wish I could just make aliyah!)
What you are doing is called a sabbatical in Israel, not Aliya. Aliya is a commitment to leave your old life behind and start a new life in Israel. It's a commitment. Of course, not everyone can take that upon themselves, but as wiser women before me mentioned, a "trial" year isn't a recipe for success. It's so easy, when things get tough (and they WILL) to have "but we can go back" in your head. I have no advice, but to suggest you don't expect too much.

chaniej

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 8:55 am
I know a fam that leases a car

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 12:16 pm
heidi wrote:
Just to keep this in perspective: Buying even a used car in Israel can cost as much as $10,000 and that's for a small family car, 10 years old. So renting might be cheaper. Leasing in Israel involves putting down a percentage of the value of the car, and then paying a set rate each month.
As I mentioned, I have several friends who have made aliyah after living here for at least a year, and they all brought lifts which I assume means they had aliyah rights-- after all, NBN has a program for making aliyah from Israel. So please OP, look into all of this yourself.
Not so. We bought a used car, a few years ago, for 13000 shekels. It was a small car, but I am sure you can get a used car for less than 10000 dollars.

Shuly

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 12:26 pm
If you're here on a student visa, you get health insurance and you can buy a car tax free.

eema2five

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:02 am
you can PM me if you'd like.
we considered aliyah, but weren't ready to take the plunge.
my kids called it 'aliyah on training wheels'- we came for a year and decided
that any decisions regarding staying longer term would be made only after Pesach.
My husband kept his No. American job and learned in a yeshiva and was able to get a student visa.
My kids were in school, we had health care that we paid for and we purchased a used car with our NORTH AMERICAN licenses.
We had all the difficulties first year olim experience, but our expectations were low!

m in Israel

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:17 am
Hashem loves me wrote:
I know many non-Israeli citizens who have bought cars in Israel without an Israeli license.

I don't know the details exactly but the method they did it was called "passport to passport" or something like that. It's how non citizens buy cars there and they claimed it was actually cheaper because they didn't have to pay taxes.

I don't know how exactly this works and if it's even legal. But I guess you can look into it.
good luck!

I'm pretty sure it is possible for non-citizens to buy a car here, and it may even be cheaper tax wise, but it is definitely NOT "passport to passport".

"Passport to passport" is when someone who has "zchuyot" (benefits from Aliya) uses them to buy a car (and therefore gets a reduction in tax, paying "only" 75% tax instead of the usual Israeli car tax of 150%). The rule is that for 4 years after the purchase you are not allowed to sell the car you have bought unless you sell it to someone else who ALSO has zchuyot and uses them to buy the car from you. That is called "passport to passport". (The idea is to prevent someone who doesn't really want a car from using their zchuyot to buy one at a discount and then immediately selling it to someone who is supposed to pay the higher tax rate, or buying it on behalf of someone else).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions