Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
TTI financial aid?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 4:27 pm
Does anybody know if there's any financial aid available when getting a degree online at TTI?

oliveoil

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:53 pm
Do yourself a favor and go to a real school.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 6:20 pm
amother wrote:
Does anybody know if there's any financial aid available when getting a degree online at TTI?

There is, but there are very specific requirements that you have to fulfill - I think a certain amount of credit hours with Excelsior direct each semester. Speak to an advisor, they should be able to help you.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:52 pm
Oliveoil- why? Please explain.
Ladybug- I'm waiting for a response to my email.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 11:05 pm
amother wrote:
Oliveoil- why? Please explain.
Ladybug- I'm waiting for a response to my email.

I didn't get your email and I have no more information on this.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 11:07 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
I didn't get your email and I have no more information on this.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm waiting for a response to my email from TTI. So in the meantime I wanted to hear what other ppl know.

SRS

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:28 am
I'm with OliveOil. . . take yourself over to the local state school. Employers have no idea what these various Jewish schools are and when they do, they more often than not, have a negative opinion. I know many people argue Touro has good programs and it seems that in many cases that is true. Yet a friend of mine in the private sector says that despite that his company does not run a single interview with a Touro student. If you go this route, you are coming in through the back door. If you go to your local state school, there will be some direct recruiting and campus interviews.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 12:25 pm
I didn't know Touro had that bad a reputation. But I know that online degrees are NOT recommended. Employers and grad schools think they are "quickie"degrees that don't require the Same work load. And many times they don't. I know if I was hiring, I wouldn't hire from TTI, Bulka, Sarah schneirer etc. I know people who went through these programs and when I compared their work load to any other school (even Touro or community college) it was laughable. TTI, Bulka etc had No real reports, a major paper was 2 pages long. They got lots of credit for non academic stuff like chessed. They didn't have to teach themselves anything-they were spoonfed everything. In college. (I know Touro doesn't compare to Harvard or Columbia, but it's nowhere near as bad as the other programs I mentioned. I know plenty of people who did Touro and got high GPAs in graduate school in name schools.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 12:33 pm
With touro it depends on the program. Some have a decent name and others do not. It also depends on the industry, where job availability will affect how competitive slots are.

Many graduate programs and employers will either dismiss all applicants with online degrees or approach them with a lot of caution. Besides that, if you go into a field, take some pride it in and do it right. Your education will be lacking and your clients will bear the consequences.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:40 pm
Im the op. I have kids including a nursing baby. sitting into classes at set times is not something I can do now. so online is the way to go. If not TTI, then which one is reccomended?

SRS

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:53 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
I didn't know Touro had that bad a reputation.

It isn't necessarily a bad reputation just that employers aren't interested. It could be that employers aren't interested in candidates for reasons based on perception, performance of others, or track record. It could be that Touro has not developed their relationships with industry and are just being ignored.

Fact of the matter is that college is an investment and you get one chance, so do your homework.

SRS

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:55 pm
amother wrote:
Im the op. I have kids including a nursing baby. sitting into classes at set times is not something I can do now. so online is the way to go. If not TTI, then which one is reccomended?

What about waiting until you will have the time rather than the "if not now when" approach? For learning Torah, that is the proper approach. For building a career, I don't think it is always the wisest path. I think there the approach would be start with a bang.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:09 pm
SRS wrote:
What about waiting until you will have the time rather than the "if not now when" approach? For learning Torah, that is the proper approach. For building a career, I don't think it is always the wisest path. I think there the approach would be start with a bang.

I have time. I just don't have all the resources, such as inhouse babysitter, car to drive to local college,etc. if I wait for the perfect time it will never happen.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:11 pm
What degree are you interested in?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:36 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
What degree are you interested in?

accounting

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 5:04 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
I didn't know Touro had that bad a reputation. But I know that online degrees are NOT recommended. Employers and grad schools think they are "quickie"degrees that don't require the Same work load. And many times they don't. I know if I was hiring, I wouldn't hire from TTI, Bulka, Sarah schneirer etc. I know people who went through these programs and when I compared their work load to any other school (even Touro or community college) it was laughable. TTI, Bulka etc had No real reports, a major paper was 2 pages long. They got lots of credit for non academic stuff like chessed. They didn't have to teach themselves anything-they were spoonfed everything. In college. (I know Touro doesn't compare to Harvard or Columbia, but it's nowhere near as bad as the other programs I mentioned. I know plenty of people who did Touro and got high GPAs in graduate school in name schools.

Are you talking about undergraduate? Because you really don't learn anything related to your field at the undergraduate level so I don't see why chessed hours should affect your performance in your eventual field. At the graduate level, I think it is important to attend a "name" school because that is want qualifies you in your field. For undergrad? Go with the easiest, quickest program, as long as it will be accepted by the graduate school of your choice.

SRS

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 5:19 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
Are you talking about undergraduate? Because you really don't learn anything related to your field at the undergraduate level so I don't see why chessed hours should affect your performance in your eventual field. At the graduate level, I think it is important to attend a "name" school because that is want qualifies you in your field. For undergrad? Go with the easiest, quickest program, as long as it will be accepted by the graduate school of your choice.

I disagree, of course I have nothing more than a bachelors. Plenty of skills can be developed at the undergrad level.

Who knows if you will ever be admitted to a grad school program. Being in a respected undergrad program gives that notch in your belt. Online education has not made serious inroads among serious employers.

SRS

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
accounting

Which employers recruit from TTI? Does the State of Illinois recruiter through the school? What about Big 4 recruiters? Which local CPA firms and regional CPA firms recruit? Which industries recruit via TTI? I think the answer to those questions will tell you if this is an online program worth pursuing.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 7:21 pm
Lady Bug wrote:

I'm way past the BA point anyways (at least I don't plan on getting a second one!) but was just curious about the school's reputation because I know people who went there. Does it still impact their resume if say they got a MA elsewhere? Would an employer say "love the graduate school work but they did go to Touro for their BA/BS... Nah, I'll pass on him". ??

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 7:40 pm
You don't have a great chance of being admitted to a competitive graduate program from an online undergrad. However, if you do manage to graduate from a top school, I can't see any employer giving two hoots about where you did your undergrad.

Since OP is interested in accounting she won't be pursuing a graduate degree anyway. I honestly don't see her finding a job easily with a tti degree.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics