Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sponge Bathing

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:33 pm
Please, anyone have good ideas or methods how to ease sponge bathing for my son with a cast that can't get wet?

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:41 pm
I thought it was standard practice to secure a plastic bag over the cast so the injured person can bathe semi-normally.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:45 pm
Where is he casted? Can he sit in a shallow container of water (with leg hanging over if nevessary) so that the most important parts are soaking a bit, and to catch any water that drips from other areas while you sponge bathe?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:48 pm
OP here, forgot to add its on his foot, thigh down to ankle. I tried a bag over the foot which worked today, but am afraid to resort to that method since it's not water proof and would hate to get it wet. Plus he's in pain when sitting. He's most comfortable laying .

animeme

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:49 pm
How old is he? Arm or leg? Does it cover the elbow/knee?The budget way is plastic newspaper bags and rubber bands, if the cast is short enough.

I had a DS who wanted to take baths with with an arm cast that covered his elbow. We bought a cast protector with a rubber thing at the top that's tight and seals out water (I can't find a brand on it) and heavy duty plastic. We got the adult size because he had a big cast. A little hard to put on but totally worth it- he could even put the arm in the water.

Google cast protectors. There's a bunch.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:54 pm
When my brother was fasted from his thigh down my parents bought a bath seat. His cast was also waterproof, but that didn't mean it could get soaked, just hat it tolerated a little bit of dampness.

You could also have him sit in the shower on no stool with his foot out. In the beginning it will be painful, but as he heals it should feel better.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

animeme

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:55 pm
Just saw your second post. I wouldn't get the one with the rubber, if he's in pain. Maybe an adult size one with a plastic tie at the top would work.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:55 pm
Can you fill up the tub with a shallow amount of water? Use a bag over the cast, have him lie down, and place a step stool in the tub for him to rest the casted leg on. Wash the rest of him while he is lying down.

esther malka

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 8:19 pm
I found the Huggins washcloths made for infants great. They have soap in them. Find them in the baby aisle.
Refuah Shelaimah!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics