Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Are the SAT's required for Touro College in Brooklyn?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 10:04 pm
DD is an excellent student, however she does not seem to be doing well on the SATs nor does she want to waste time studying for it, when she can use that time to study school material for tests she knows she will get excellent grades on. She is good in Math but the Vocabulary, Grammar and comprehension is a killer for her.

She would like to go to touro in Brooklyn. She would also like to take credits for Touro in 12th grade, for which she applied.

My question is, if she never takes the SAT, will Touro care? She feels it will just make her look bad when her grades are otherwise phenomenal.

Input please!

Thanks

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 10:06 pm
I think she needs to take it, but she does not need to do well unless she wants a scholarship.

otsrock

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 11:35 pm
She SHOULD take it, so she at least has a chance at a scholarship. Especially if you say she's a good student. It's more important than good grades, IMO, because it can actually pay for your schooling.

miami85

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 1:26 am
I graduated from Touro in Brooklyn a long time ago, my SATs weren't anything to be that proud of, but I believe that in order to be eligible for any financial aid you need to take them. I don't think they "require them" but that may have changed since I was there. Their scholarships look at a lot more than just SAT scores--I got scholarships each semester I was there that really helped. I basically just paid for books and room and board.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 12:52 pm
OP here....what if she bombs on the SATs? Will she not get any scholarships even if she has a 99 average?

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 12:53 pm
I can help...

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 1:00 pm
amother wrote:
OP here....what if she bombs on the SATs? Will she not get any scholarships even if she has a 99 average?

First of all, she shouldn't be taking them cold. There are lots of books, courses and tutors to prep for the SATs. Second, if she has a 99 average she is unlikely to bomb the SATs. The subject matter is not that different from what she's been doing in school.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 1:20 pm
Also, she will definitely need to improve her vocab, grammar and comprehension in preparation for college anyway! So she will be doing herself a favor by working on those skills now.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:00 pm
Sequoia, how can you help?

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:
Sequoia, how can you help?

I am an English tutor. You can PM me if you like.

mille

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:21 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Also, she will definitely need to improve her vocab, grammar and comprehension in preparation for college anyway! So she will be doing herself a favor by working on those skills now.

This is my thinking. If someone is really that weak in verbal skills that they are worried about bombing the verbal section of the SATs, they will struggle in college.

There seems to be a growing trend that many colleges are becoming "SAT optional", but I think it still will greatly benefit her to take the SATs. If she does average or above average (or really awesome!), it will do nothing but boost her application. If she totally bombs, well, if they are truly optional, don't submit the scores. I think it might look a little suspicious for an applicant who has a 99 average(or 4.0 GPA, whatever) who intentionally didn't take the SATs or who is omitting their score.

At the very least, you should pick up a book (Kaplan or princeton review or whatever other company you'd prefer, I used Kaplan for GRE studying and liked the format, so I assume their SAT book is similar) so she can look at the content to gauge her comfort level with the material. She may be surprised at how much she already knows.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 5:39 pm
As someone who spent years as a tutor ( and some of my clients may be here so I'm anonymous), I can tell you how much help even a little tutoring can be. Dd can learn test taking tips in addition to other material to help her score higher than she will if she studies alone ( unless she is extremely focused and motivated ) .

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 5:44 pm
Have you called Touro and asked what their application process is? Or you could probably find everything you need to know on their website or her English principal should know the answer as well.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 5:49 pm
afaik, they don't require SAT scores. however, you do need one for an academic scholarship. please have her take them regardless of her language abilities. she will need to have a handle on this stuff anyway. she'll need to take placement exams when she gets to college, and she'll have to pass college writing in order to move on to other core courses. reading/writing are not avoidable, and ignoring it right now is not going to help her when she gets to college.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:30 pm
Call Touro and ask directly, I know Brooklyn College doesn't require SAT scores for example, one can opt to take their own assessment exam and it is not required there for financial aid. So who knows, right?

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:45 pm
A family member of mine works there and said that you don't need it in order to be accepted, but you do need it for a dean's scholarship.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children