Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Baltimore?
1  2  Next

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 2:27 pm
I may be in Baltimore for a few days next week for a professional meeting. I'd like to make a working vacation out of it. What family type things are there to do? Any really good trips/restaurants/experiences we shouldn't miss? My kids range in age from 17-1

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 2:51 pm
The National Aquarium is worth the trip for both kids and adults.

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:31 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:

Thanks! Anyone else have any insight?

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:39 pm
Check out the website- baltimorejewishlife.com and you should be able to find a bunch of info.

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:40 pm
eema1 wrote:
Check out the website- baltimorejewishlife.com and you should be able to find a bunch of info.

Thanks!

cfriedman2

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 11:49 pm
Go visit downtown inner harbor, port discovery (kids museum), science center, ripleys believe it or not, six flags America, aquarium. Also not too far from Washington, D.C.

Food- 3 pizza places - tov pizza, mama Leah's, Carmel's
Chinese- david chus and umami
meat- dougies, kosher bite, knish shop, accents, Serengeti (new steakhouse), royal restaurant
dairy- Goldbergs bagels, cocachinos, milk and honey bistro

mommyla

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 11:57 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:

Beware: no strollers allowed!

deena19k

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 4:59 am
mommyla wrote:
Beware: no strollers allowed!

yes, but they do give you a baby back carrier for all the walking around.

Hannie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:38 am
cfriedman2 wrote:
Go visit downtown inner harbor, port discovery (kids museum), science center, ripleys believe it or not, six flags America, aquarium. Also not too far from Washington, D.C.

Food- 3 pizza places - tov pizza, mama Leah's, Carmel's
Chinese- david chus and umami
meat- dougies, kosher bite, knish shop, accents, Serengeti (new steakhouse), royal restaurant
dairy- Goldbergs bagels, cocachinos, milk and honey bistro

I had no idea there was this much to do and where to eat in Baltimore ! Looks like there is quite a big community there ! Tongue Out

baskrox

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 9:16 am
There's a lot to do in Baltimore, but it's also an hour from Washington DC, if you want to take advantage of that...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 9:52 am
Hannie wrote:
I had no idea there was this much to do and where to eat in Baltimore ! Looks like there is quite a big community there ! Tongue Out

BTW, it's Caramel's, not Carmel's (caramelspizza.com if you are looking online)
And Eden Cafe in the JCC is also a milchig/pizza place.

No, Baltimore is not that small a community!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:12 am
If you're downtown, there's a kosher coffee shop in Fell's Point: the Van Gough Cafe. I haven't been there — if you try it out, let us know how you liked it!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:15 am
cfriedman2 wrote:

The Science Center is really great for all ages. There's a section for kids with lots of great stuff, including a huge water table that my preschoolers could play all day in, and a baby room for younger kids. They also have a room where you can eat if you bring your own food.

suzyq

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
The Science Center is really great for all ages. There's a section for kids with lots of great stuff, including a huge water table that my preschoolers could play all day in, and a baby room for younger kids. They also have a room where you can eat if you bring your own food.

This sounds more like Port Discovery - are you sure you're talking about the Science Center? OP, please note that if your family are Cohanim, then many rabbis say you can not visit the Science Center. If you can though, it also has an IMAX theater.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:30 pm
suzyq wrote:
This sounds more like Port Discovery - are you sure you're talking about the Science Center? OP, please note that if your family are Cohanim, then many rabbis say you can not visit the Science Center. If you can though, it also has an IMAX theater.

Yes, I'm sure that I'm talking about the Science Center. I would NOT say that Port Discovery is great for all ages; it's only geared towards young kids, maybe up to age 10, if that. (It is a lot of fun for kids of the right age, though.) The Science Center is entertaining for infants through adults.

I believe that the problem for Cohanim at the Science Center is only when they have a visiting mummy exhibit, which I don't think they currently do.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:55 pm
The Science Center is good for all ages. Sometimes they have problematic exhibits like this one: Body Worlds, so if you are kohanim, caveat emptor.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:58 pm
Re: van gough cafe. Its not "right" near downtown. U might have to drive there. It is lovely, not fancy but a very cute chic ambiance. Good food and good prices. (Mostly coffee and bagels type stuff)

suzyq

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:58 pm
Ok, well, my sons are Cohanim and I was told that they are not allowed to visit the Science Center, ever. That's what the Star-K says also - http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/.....1.htm

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 2:25 pm
suzyq wrote:
Ok, well, my sons are Cohanim and I was told that they are not allowed to visit the Science Center, ever. That's what the Star-K says also - http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/.....1.htm

Thank you, I didn't realize that!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 2:28 pm
Good to know. I think the exhibit referred to in the star-k link is one of their permanent exhibits.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics