Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
14yo- no period in 3 months

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 5:53 pm
My daughter got her period when she was 12, She is not regular. Usually getting it every other month or so. But her last period was end of May. Im getting concerned. Is this normal? Any advice.

busydev

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 5:59 pm
was she in camp? did she travel? any big recent change/stress? People do sometimes miss their periods a month or two for no apparent reason. (on this website- help no + test but no period and it comes a month or 2 later)

I had some years where I skipped a period in the summer. and other years where I had extra. I had one or maybe two the whole time in sem. My periods changed in length when I lost/gained weight. I have had a couple times where my period just came @ 70 days late vs 35 (my usual).

Has she had regular periods for a while till now? Did she recently start?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter got her period when she was 12, She is not regular. Usually getting it every other month or so. But her last period was end of May. Im getting concerned. Is this normal? Any advice.

it's not unusual for periods to take a couple of years to get into a regular pattern, but hey, even amongst adult woman, it's rare to have your period on the exact day month after month. The menstrual cycle is very delicate, and subject to change extremely easily by the slightest thing. Has she been particularly stressed recently, even sub - consciously? Taking exams recently? or had a fall out with a friend? anything you don't know about, like nervous about something or worried about family issues? Has she been eating well?

Also, being worried about why her period has not come can delay it more!! It is a vicious cycle, best thing to forget all about it, then it will come!
My period usually comes up to a week early or late, and there have been times it's been I've skipped a month. it then comes the following month as normal. if that's me, in my twenties, then imagine for a young girl it would be even more likely. But the truth is periods are always subject to being irregular, even slightly, throughout the whole stage of having periods, and in most cases - but not all - it doesn't signal any issue.

Bottom line: give it another month and if it hasn't come by then maybe take her to the doctor to discuss what could be causing the irregularity. But try not to worry too much about it at this stage.

rikki!

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 6:21 pm
"First, it is important to realize that in most young girls the age of your daughter, it is perfectly normal to having missed or irregular periods. It is a common misconception that periods should be normal like they are in adult women right from the beginning. In fact, however, in the first few years after menstruation begins, your daughter's hormonal system is still developing and maturing, so it can be totally normal to miss periods or to have variation in the interval between periods. This irregularity should gradual normalize over months to years and does not usually need to be treated or evaluated. Finally, significant weight loss and eating disorders can also be associated with irregular or missed periods. However, given your daughter's age and your lack of any specific concerns about these other possibilities, it is likely that this is just her normal development. As always if you have additional questions about your daughter's development make sure to talk to her pediatrician!"

As posted above, it's perfectly normal for young girls to have irregular or missed periods but being safe never hurts. Try to monitor her food intake to rule out the possibilty of an eating disorder. Awareness and prevention goes a long way!

Hatzlucha!

Last edited by rikki! on Tue, Aug 19 2014, 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 6:23 pm
Ever since adolescence, my period was always crazy, even being 3 months off every now and then. Followed me into adulthood.

I'm healthy, have kids, etc...

Just saying Smile

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 6:36 pm
amother wrote:
Ever since adolescence, my period was always crazy, even being 3 months off every now and then. Followed me into adulthood.

I'm healthy, have kids, etc...

Just saying Smile

My aunt is the same, my mother says she never had regular periods, even as an adult and she has 4 children.

mommy's daughter

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 6:41 pm
It's very very normal not to get your period in the summer (talking from experience) hatzlucha

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 7:35 pm
Many adolescent girls don't get their period in the summer.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:
My aunt is the same, my mother says she never had regular periods, even as an adult and she has 4 children.

Are you my niece? This sounds exactly like me. Especially in the summer I was more likely to skip.

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 8:51 pm
"Finally, significant weight loss and eating disorders can also be associated with irregular or missed periods."

Make sure she is eating well. Young girls can be very self conscious on how they look, especially if they are developed.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 8:53 pm
sequoia wrote:
Many adolescent girls don't get their period in the summer.

how is it that all the times girl skip their periods--summer, stress-etc--I get mine Confused twice?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 8:57 pm
Please be sure she doesn't have an eating disorder. My sister used to miss her periods months at a time because she wasn't eating Sad

itssimplyme

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:06 pm
Deleted

Last edited by itssimplyme on Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

itssimplyme

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:09 pm
The weirdest thing is that when two females, or more, who are close and living together often get their period at the same time. When I was living with my sister at home we would always have our period at the same time, and even if one of us was early or late one month it would always align itself with each other. My mother said the same happened with the females in her family.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:07 pm
itssimplyme wrote:
The weirdest thing is that when two females, or more, who are close and living together often get their period at the same time. When I was living with my sister at home we would always have our period at the same time, and even if one of us was early or late one month it would always align itself with each other. My mother said the same happened with the females in her family.

This is a known phenomenon, completely normal and universal.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:09 pm
Keep an eye on it (if you can obviously this is her body and she is 14 so don't invade privacy) but sounds normal. Teenage girls are still getting used to it all.
I didn't get my period for 16 weeks when I was growing up and I was still young enough to be naive and spent 15 weeks trying to figure out how I might be pregnant LOL

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:45 am
For those of you who are saying it's normal, please don't discount that it COULD be an issue (not saying it is...but it could be). My mother never had a normal cycle, and her doctor always blew the issue away saying it is normal. Turns out that in her early 20s she was diagnosed with PCOS and a myriad of other issues. I am not trying to scare you OP, but if it happens more often than please don't discount it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children