Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashrus question please help me

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:02 am
I have a twofold question on kashrus.

I cooked dairy muffins in a pareve muffin pan. I cooked the dairy muffins in my meat oven (it's not ben yomo - haven't used it in 24 hours for meat) because the muffin pan won't fit in my dairy oven. I didn't cover them, because they are considered dry not liquid. But the thing is I want to use my meat oven to make franks today. Is it to late? Should I just make something else for dinner and wait until my oven is ben yomo again to make meat? I don't have a self cleaning cycle on my oven. Also, is my muffin pan dairy forever now or will it be considered pareve again after 24 hours? Please help me. I didn't think things through before I made the muffins dairy and now I'm really confused and I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited by sprayonlove on Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:21 am
bump

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:36 am
AYLOR. Tell him exactly what you told us. There are varying opinions on this.

mo5

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 9:44 am
Btw you mean to say your oven is Not Ben yomo- Ben yomo means son of the it's day-aka used within the last 24 hours

kb

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 9:46 am
I would also ask if you could even eat the muffins.

monseychick

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 9:56 am
Im not a poisek

But my husband said put the open on broil (500) for an hour, and use easy off if possible.. And make leebin kal on the muffin pan touching it all over with a blow torch CAREFULLY or keep it dairy..

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 9:58 am
kb wrote:

I shockingly enough have only one oven, I even grew up with only one oven. I use it for uncovered meat and dairy. My parents hold that you have to wait 24 hours in between baking uncovered meat and dairy. My inlaws hold that you can bake it out by having the empty oven on for the same amount of time on the same temperature. So if I baked muffins on 350 for 30 minutes, I keep the oven on for an additional 30 minutes empty. I guess aylor is your best bet.
Otherwise you can cook the franks, my kids actually get excited when I do that because it's something different.
Another option is franks and potatoes. Sautee an onion till clear. Add as many cubed potatoes and cubed franks as they will eat. Water almost till covering. Salt and pepper. Cook till the potatoes are soft. That has become my Thursday night standard.

kb

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:14 am
glutenless wrote:
I shockingly enough have only one oven, I even grew up with only one oven. I use it for uncovered meat and dairy. My parents hold that you have to wait 24 hours in between baking uncovered meat and dairy. My inlaws hold that you can bake it out by having the empty oven on for the same amount of time on the same temperature. So if I baked muffins on 350 for 30 minutes, I keep the oven on for an additional 30 minutes empty. I guess aylor is your best bet.
Otherwise you can cook the franks, my kids actually get excited when I do that because it's something different.
Another option is franks and potatoes. Sautee an onion till clear. Add as many cubed potatoes and cubed franks as they will eat. Water almost till covering. Salt and pepper. Cook till the potatoes are soft. That has become my Thursday night standard.

Op did not cook it out, as far as I noticed. I'm not saying that she can't eat it, just that it could be an issue.

I mistakenly baked COVERED chicken in my dairy toaster oven, and was told to throw the chicken out. (It was used within 24 hours in my case, so it could be different here, but that's why I mentioned it.)

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:36 am
mo5 wrote:
Btw you mean to say your oven is Not Ben yomo- Ben yomo means son of the it's day-aka used within the last 24 hours

oops thanks fixed it

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:40 am
kb wrote:

I looked it up on stark.org and it says this:

c) Uncovered dairy in a clean fleishig oven - If one cooks fleishig in an oven and ensures it remains clean (I.e. the oven has no meat residue), one may bake an uncovered dry dairy product in the oven.53 This may be done as long as there is no uncovered meat product in the oven at the same time as the dry dairy product. "Dry" means the finished product has little or no liquid.

according to this the muffins are okay to eat.

gittelchana

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 2:46 pm
sprayonlove wrote:
I have a twofold question on kashrus.

I cooked dairy muffins in a pareve muffin pan. I cooked the dairy muffins in my meat oven (it's not ben yomo - haven't used it in 24 hours for meat) because the muffin pan won't fit in my dairy oven. I didn't cover them, because they are considered dry not liquid. But the thing is I want to use my meat oven to make franks today. Is it to late? Should I just make something else for dinner and wait until my oven is ben yomo again to make meat? I don't have a self cleaning cycle on my oven. Also, is my muffin pan dairy forever now or will it be considered pareve again after 24 hours? Please help me. I didn't think things through before I made the muffins dairy and now I'm really confused and I'm not sure what to do.

Muffin pan is dairy AFAIK and will not revert back by itself.

The uncovered part may complicate things. The fact that it's dry definitely helps, but you may still have an issue.

Ask a Rov.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen