Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
P'S'A'
Previous  1  2

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:19 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
True.
I am also at work and trying to type quickly between calls, questions, emails and emergencies, going back and forth between imamother and other screens multiple times. This, of course, interferes with my train of thought and when I did post, I was in a rush and did so without proofreading. While this is not a valid excuse, I hope you will forgive me for my sins.
Very Happy embarrassed

Forgiven! Wink

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:23 pm
PinkFridge and Lady Godiva,

Your kindness and compassion knows no bounds.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:24 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Forgiven! Wink

Ah, I see we cross-posted.
Imamother may not have rabbis but may I welcome you to the board of self-approved grammar spiritual leaders?

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:36 pm
So long as we're all venting our syntactic kishkes here, let me add mine--and this is not only on imamother but in several books I've read in the recent past, including not only cheap genre fiction aka shmatta novels, in which case what can one expect, but also in some semi-respectable children's lit. I find poor grammar in children's books particularly reprehensible.

To LAY is to place something down on a surface. You lay a book on a shelf, you lay your weary head on a pillow, you lay a rug or tile or wooden flooring, you may lay bets, and hens lay eggs.

To LIE is to be at rest, usually in a horizontal position. You lie in bed, your book lies on the shelf, the rug lies on the floor, the Caribbean Islands lie mostly southeast of the US, and your pearl necklace may lie in a box or around your neck.

If you claim something "was laying" on the floor, you'd better have a clutch of eggs to prove it.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 4:31 pm
zaq wrote:
So long as we're all venting our syntactic kishkes here, let me add mine--and this is not only on imamother but in several books I've read in the recent past, including not only cheap genre fiction aka shmatta novels, in which case what can one expect, but also in some semi-respectable children's lit. I find poor grammar in children's books particularly reprehensible.

To LAY is to place something down on a surface. You lay a book on a shelf, you lay your weary head on a pillow, you lay a rug or tile or wooden flooring, you may lay bets, and hens lay eggs.

To LIE is to be at rest, usually in a horizontal position. You lie in bed, your book lies on the shelf, the rug lies on the floor, the Caribbean Islands lie mostly southeast of the US, and your pearl necklace may lie in a box or around your neck.

If you claim something "was laying" on the floor, you'd better have a clutch of eggs to prove it.

Where it gets confusing is the past tense. I lie on the couch today, but yesterday I lay on the couch. And over the last few days I have lain on the couch.

I lay my head on the cushions as I lie down on the couch, and yesterday when I lay on the couch I laid my head on the cushions.

penguin

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:24 pm
I will still not concede the current usage of alot. You can allot a lot of resources. There is no more such a word as alot as there is a word alittle.

I also want to warn some of the mispunctuating ladies here that if you ever post anon and not anon, you will not retain your anonymity. There are two posters here that come to mind (possibly more) whose writing styles or punctuation are so distinctive that few will fail to recognize them.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:26 pm
And, ladies, please, a posting here is not an SMS, please write in correct English.

penguin

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 6:34 pm
D'you think we should ask Yael to warn the anonymous apostropher overuser? Because, unless she only lurks, one day she may post with her SN and we are all going to know who she is.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 6:36 pm
penguin wrote:
D'you think we should ask Yael to warn the anonymous apostropher overuser? Because, unless she only lurks, one day she may post with her SN and we are all going to know who she is.

She has posted as amother only AFAIK and it is not always justified. So she can deal with the consequences.

penguin

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 7:19 pm
Quote:
She has posted as amother only AFAIK
Clearly so, because her style is too distinctive to miss, unless it was on some thread that missed my eagle eye!

penguin

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 6:40 pm
I just found myself editing a post with a superfluous apostrophe. Good thing Elul is coming and I hope to take a break!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 6:57 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
The correct spelling of the pronoun for referring to the second person, singular or plural is "you" not "u".

Y'all (pl.) is an acceptable alternative, only when the speaker is from the south or southwest.

NO! Y'all is singular. All y'all is plural.

Bless your pea pickin' heart.

*fans self* I need to go cook me up a mess of collard greens and fried okra now. Oh, and make some sweet tea.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 7:02 pm
penguin wrote:
I will still not concede the current usage of alot. You can allot a lot of resources. There is no more such a word as alot as there is a word alittle.

I also want to warn some of the mispunctuating ladies here that if you ever post anon and not anon, you will not retain your anonymity. There are two posters here that come to mind (possibly more) whose writing styles or punctuation are so distinctive that few will fail to recognize them.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogs......html

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 6:06 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
NO! Y'all is singular. All y'all is plural.

Bless your pea pickin' heart.

*fans self* I need to go cook me up a mess of collard greens and fried okra now. Oh, and make some sweet tea.

Really? I thought y'all stam was plural, not singular. Y'all learn something new every day.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 7:52 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Really? I thought y'all stam was plural, not singular. Y'all learn something new every day.

I think it could be regional. In the south east it might be multi use, but in the deep south there is a distinction. My family is from Arkansas (home of Johnny Cash). Very Happy

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 8:16 pm
Virginia native here. I would like to add my pet peeve: the word is "y'all" and not "yall" or worse "ya'll."

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 2:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

I've been in love with this ever since I saw it a few years ago.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics