Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Earning over 150K without a College Degree
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:50 pm
As a spinoff from the college degree thread, I am wondering how many of you ladies out there have DH's that are earning over $150K and never took a course or got a degree. What field do they work in and how many years are they at that job.

I know my BIL teased my husband for the seven years that he was in Yeshiva that he would never earn a cent without a degree. He said he had no marketable skills and will join the other hundreds of Lakewood guys looking for a career without a degree. He started off in a frum company earning 60k and 5 years later he is the managing director and earning close to 200K.

I worried for years about how we will do financially without a degree, especially when my BIL launched into his tirade so I think it's important for people to know that it is possible, and I daresay, not so rare.

Posting anon bec people know my screen name and don't want them to know our income!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
As a spinoff from the college degree thread, I am wondering how many of you ladies out there have DH's that are earning over $150K and never took a course or got a degree. What field do they work in and how many years are they at that job.

I know my BIL teased my husband for the seven years that he was in Yeshiva that he would never earn a cent without a degree. He said he had no marketable skills and will join the other hundreds of Lakewood guys looking for a career without a degree. He started off in a frum company earning 60k and 5 years later he is the managing director and earning close to 200K.

I worried for years about how we will do financially without a degree, especially when my BIL launched into his tirade so I think it's important for people to know that it is possible, and I daresay, not so rare.

Posting anon bec people know my screen name and don't want them to know our income!

It is pretty rare. It is a very small minority who have that kind of success working for someone else making $200,000 after 5 years and no degree. Glad for your husband and you.

BTW it is not common for someone with degrees to make that kind of money after 5 years.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:57 pm
Your husband is an extreme rarity
For everyone like him there are ten guys living on govt pgms

It's very deceptive on your part to infer otherwise

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:59 pm
I posted this some time ago... Anyone who can manage his own company has endless possibilities: installing fencing, landscaping, asbestos removal, security systems, import/export, wholesale merchandise, parking lots, etc.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:02 pm
My DH did go to school for his profession, but many of his co-workers are self taught. After 10 years he makes about $100,000 (pre-tax), which is accepted medium salary according to salary.com.

The joke is that we would probably have more with a smaller income plus government programs.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
My DH did go to school for his profession, but many of his co-workers are self taught. After 10 years he makes about $100,000 (pre-tax), which is accepted medium salary according to salary.com.

The joke is that we would probably have more with a smaller income plus government programs.

What is his profession?

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:15 pm
It is possible but unusual. A go-getter business owner can usually make more than 150,000, but remember there's a G-d who runs the world. You can get a college degree and not make 150,000.00 also. I know a doctor who can't find work.
That being said, I'm all for education (my degree supports me and my family) but it isn't the ONLY way to make money.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
What is his profession?

Programmer. The only people making way more in this occupation are the ones that are working many more years than DH. It not the amount of years, its more that they were hired at a higher salary when the demand was big and the supply was very small.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:20 pm
Your DH is the exception, and you will always find exceptions to every rule.

My brother is an entrepreneur who had no formal schooling and is b"h very successful; I believe he makes in the range of 500k annually. However, my DH is in college. My brother did not think this was a wise decision, but at the end of the day he did agree with us that a degree provides job security and in DH's field he is almost guaranteed a really high starting salary, with lots of potential for growth.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:32 pm
It is not so easy to be an entrepreneur as everyone is saying. You need Capitol and even then there are more failures than successes.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:
It is not so easy to be an entrepreneur as everyone is saying. You need Capitol and even then there are more failures than successes.

No one said it's easy. It is possible for the right personality. And you can't discount mazal- no one can force the hand of God, whether he gets a medical degree or he chooses to become a carpenter or open a carpet store.

Learning

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:33 pm
Starting your own business requires certain personality and some luck (siyata dishmaya). If you have both than you can even make millions. The only profession that you have potential to make 100,000+ is programing.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:36 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
No one said it's easy. It is possible for the right personality. And you can't discount mazal- no one can force the hand of God, whether he gets a medical degree or he chooses to become a carpenter or open a carpet store.

It is possible to win the lottery also. People need to stick with probable and highly likely when making career plans. Possible is too far fetched to plan a life on. Horatio Alger stories always were fiction.

Without capital most businesses can't make it. Please tell me how to open a carpet store without capital or backing. It is great to be a carpenter. Carpenters are not making big money swinging their hammers. They are making the money once they have capital to invest in their business. A good carpenter can be billed out at $55. This is not what he is taking home.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:37 pm
Learning wrote:
Starting your own business requires certain personality and some luck (siyata dishmaya). If you have both than you can even make millions. The only profession that you have potential to make 100,000+ is programing.

What about law, medicine, accounting?

UQT

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:40 pm
I believe hard work and a good work ethic will help most people rise in the working world. Without that, even with a college degree, you wont make much. You can't imagine how many workers my husband has/had that are just there to bring home a paycheck. If one doesn't put their heart into their job, they wont ever get further than entry level position.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:45 pm
My husband dropped out of college after 2 years and makes about 100k after 3 years of working. Will probably hit 150 in another 3 years or so. A number of caveats: he is in a tech field, which tends to care more about what you can do than where/whether you went to school. Not too many other fields like that out there. Being able to do well in tech without school still requires serious math and science chops. You can't waltz in out of nowhere. Lastly, he may not have finished college, but his time there was valuable- he got solid background, made important connections and wouldn't be where he is had he never gone. He does not suggest forgoing college just because it worked out for him. His situation is unusual.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:
It is possible to win the lottery also. People need to stick with probable and highly likely when making career plans. Possible is too far fetched to plan a life on. Horatio Alger stories always were fiction.

Without capital most businesses can't make it. Please tell me how to open a carpet store without capital or backing. It is great to be a carpenter. Carpenters are not making big money swinging their hammers. They are making the money once they have capital to invest in their business. A good carpenter can be billed out at $55. This is not what he is taking home.

The chances of opening a successful business are far greater than that of winning the lottery. You realize that, right? Of course you need capital; the exact number depends on the specific business. People scrimp and save to amass capital. Or they have friends or family members who recognize their potential and are willing yot invest. Or they apply to one of the many organizations that provide free or low interest loans to small business owners.

It doesn't help anyone to think it's impossible.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:53 pm
It is possible to earn significantly over $150,000 in the insurance field. No college required.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:09 pm
amother wrote:

Those all require degrees.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:

According to many articles in the WSJ Forbes and natl employment NOW IS THE TIME FOR LAW
unkess you grad top of your class's in a place like Harvard or Wharton
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics