Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What about Kale?

Eemaof3

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 9:23 pm
Like the spinach question, what about kale? Can I do those green smoothies? I know it does not reduce when cooked like spinach but I tried sautéing it with some garlic and mushrooms and found it tough.

Blue jay

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 10:41 pm
Actually, Kale enjoyed as a salad with a creamy white dressing is really good. Add some beans and shredded cheese.... this is one of my favorite lunch dishes.

cbg

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:09 am
You can definitely make green smoothies with it. Start with small amounts of kale, 1-2 leaves, until you get use to the taste, and lots of fruit. Slowly incorporate more greens than fruit. Don't forget to remove the center stem. Also, try to use frozen fruit or ice. Warm smoothies are really bad tasting, cold smoothies are delicious. Both DH and I try to drink 32oz green smoothie every day. DH won't eat a large salad, unless it's smothered in a creamy dressing. He loves drinking green smoothies.

soulful music

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:32 am
QueenBee3 wrote:
Actually, Kale enjoyed as a salad with a creamy white dressing is really good. Add some beans and shredded cheese.... this is one of my favorite lunch dishes.

Can you please share the recipe?

studying_torah

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:40 am
Isn't kale really bitter? And how does one check it for bugs? I'm always nervous to buy all those nice looking greens bec I don't know how to check them.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 1:11 am
studying_torah wrote:
Isn't kale really bitter? And how does one check it for bugs? I'm always nervous to buy all those nice looking greens bec I don't know how to check them.

All leafy greens are basically checked the same way. If you need specific guidelines you can check star k online.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 1:27 am
You can roast it at 400 for 20 mins. Remove the stems and add olive oil salt and pepper. Comes out like chips really yummy.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 3:46 am
I check them just like cabbages if leaves are large. Or soak in vinegared water and swish around, repeat a few times as in broccoli.

I usually blanche it in boiling water before sautéing. They also make nice soup with white beans.
Roasted ones are the best, though. Similar to "crispy seaweed" you get in Chinese restaurants (which are actually cabbage leaves and not real seaweed).

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 7:43 am
About the checking, AYLOR.

About the eating, my favorite choices are:

Slice in very thin strips. Also, chop red onion and slice strips of 1/2 red cabbage. In a large pan, saute 1/2 red onion chopped fine until translucent. Add kale, stir fry until it becomes brighter green, a couple of minutes. Add cabbage, stir fry a few minutes more. Add sesame oil, toasted sesame seeds, salt and pepper to taste.

Put in vegetable soups. I like it with white canneloni beans.

Chop fine. Saute finely chopped sweet onion, add kale, cook a few minutes. Add to quinoa that has been cooked in vegetable broth, mix well.

There are different varieties of kale. Some are more tender and good for salads.

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:16 am
Kale makes a great salad because it keeps well and tastes great. Great for traveling.

I check the kale the and as Mrs. B. After the Kale is checked, I discard the stems and rip into bite size pieces. Rub the kale for 2 to 3 minutes with lemon juice, a bit of extra virgin olive oil and a bit of kosher salt. This essential step softens it and brings out a nice color. Do not allow it to wilt.

I add small bite size mango and toasted pumpkin seeds. The dressed is wisked honey, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil s & p.

This salad is a crowd pleaser.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 10:36 am
Thanks everyone! Some great stuff!

Blue jay

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 5:06 pm
soulful music wrote:
Can you please share the recipe?

Just mayo, mixed with a splash of white vinegar and water and garlic powder. OR you can by some bottled creamy Italian dressing. The nice thing about kale is that it takes a long time to get soggy and it has a peppery kind of taste. Lately I prefer Kale to lettuce in my chopped salads.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 7:48 pm
Dancingqueen:
I tried this tonight but I think I roasted it too long because they dissolved in my mouth. Tasty but no crunch.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:36 pm
My kids have a kale smoothie almost daily.
I don't measure, but here's what goes in:
Kale - several large leaves, tough ribs removed
Apple - 1
Banana - 1 (I save those bananas that are starting to get too brown in my freezer for this purpose)
Pineapple - a couple handfuls of frozen chunks
Coconut milk/ Almond Milk/ Hemp Milk or whatever parve milk I have on hand - maybe 1/2 cup-ish?
After I blend I often add some water to thin it but you can add a few ice cubes instead if you like it more frozen.

As far as kale being tough when sautéed... did you remove those ribs? Kale shouldn't be tough. I even use it raw in salads with no problems. Massaging them with a bit of oil really breaks them down and softens them.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:48 pm
Eemaof3 wrote:
Dancingqueen:
I tried this tonight but I think I roasted it too long because they dissolved in my mouth. Tasty but no crunch.

You know what I tried this again today for the first time in a while and it burned, so maybe I would try roasting at a lower temp like 375 next time.

mazal555

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:55 pm
If you eat kale raw, it still has all the phytates. I like to saute in olive oil, lemon and garlic and salt and then add a little water and boil it for 20 or 30 minutes like collard greens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics