Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School-less in Monsey
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:34 am
The difference between Monsey and Lakewood? There is no vaad here, nobody cares. Jewish blood is cheap here. Your daughter is not in school? I'm getting blank looks from most places here, and they tell me 'so what do you want ME to do about that?' So I have a little innocent first grader who wants to know why we can't get her uniforms and school shoes like all her friends and neighbors, and wants to know what she did wrong that no school wants to accept her.

The excuse I've been given by most schools is that either I'm too modern, or I'm too frum. I just can't win. If I'd actually become more modern, it still wouldn't be good enough - we don't want dropouts in our school. If I'd become more frum - who knows what kind of filth you still have left in your home.

If I'd have known about all this 10 years ago, not only wouldn't I have not gotten married, I wouldn't be frum at all. What for??? For this?? So I can be told 'we don't want people like you in our school'?? (Never mind that I have yet to figure out what 'people like me' is)

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:38 am
Please try Chabad.

Have you tried Ateres?

Yes, unfortunately many people in your situation. So sad.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:42 am
Chabad claims the class is full, with only 18 kids in the class, so who knows. If even chabad turned me down just because I will truly lose all faith.

Ateres is at the very bottom of my list, since it's more too the left than I am comfortable with. I am sending them an application anyway. Typical Monsey, my son's yeshiva will butt their noses in and probably tell me that if I want to keep my son in their yeshiva, I have to put my daughter somewhere else. Excuse my French, but this is such a f**ked up situation. I cannot believe these people are supposed to be educating our children.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:40 am
I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I had a friend with a daughter in a similar situation. The school actually told her that most likely after sukkos there will be place for her, so she did not send her to her old school. Well, after sukkos the school said "sorry, no place" and the old school did not want to take her back. Finally, she got in a school and changed again this year! It's awful.

SRS

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 10:51 am
I don't see many other ways to solve this accept to combine management of a number of schools in a more central way and all those schools would need to have a minimum tuition that would allow the school system to expand and contract schools as needed. So you would have a "public" system so to speak and schools on the outside would be "private."

Sorry for your situation and if schools have room and are turning away based upon an impression of religiosity, I'd say that is not right. But I don't see too many easy situations if there is no centralization.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 10:57 am
Considering the vitriol being directed at the Rabbonim, Vaad, and School Admin's of Lakewood who actually are trying to help everyone, do you really expect anybody in Monsey to step up to the plate and try to form such a commitee?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 11:01 am
Have you tried Bnos Bracha? Ayeles hashachar? Rabbi riettis new place? Bas mikrah?
Strange, I didn't know ppl in monsey had trouble finding schools...
Assuming you are chassidish, bec my daughter is in a more modern school than my son and his school doesn't know or care.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
Considering the vitriol being directed at the Rabbonim, Vaad, and School Admin's of Lakewood who actually are trying to help everyone, do you really expect anybody in Monsey to step up to the plate and try to form such a commitee?

Shame on you! Do have any guarantees?

proudmother1

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:50 pm
amother wrote:
The difference between Monsey and Lakewood? There is no vaad here, nobody cares. Jewish blood is cheap here. Your daughter is not in school? I'm getting blank looks from most places here, and they tell me 'so what do you want ME to do about that?' So I have a little innocent first grader who wants to know why we can't get her uniforms and school shoes like all her friends and neighbors, and wants to know what she did wrong that no school wants to accept her.

The excuse I've been given by most schools is that either I'm too modern, or I'm too frum. I just can't win. If I'd actually become more modern, it still wouldn't be good enough - we don't want dropouts in our school. If I'd become more frum - who knows what kind of filth you still have left in your home.

If I'd have known about all this 10 years ago, not only wouldn't I have not gotten married, I wouldn't be frum at all. What for??? For this?? So I can be told 'we don't want people like you in our school'?? (Never mind that I have yet to figure out what 'people like me' is)

Try Bais Shifra Miriam.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 3:12 pm
Hebrew Academy of Rockland, in New City.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:46 pm
Thank you everyone.

Bais Shifra Miriam and Bais Rochel will never take me (I've been told this) because I'm too modern.

Bas Mikroh said I'm too chassidish.

Chofetz Chaim told me they don't accept drop outs in their school.

Chabad's classes are full.

Rabbi Rietti's new school is not quite working out the way everyone hoped it would.

I'm still working on YSV.

Bnos Bracha is geared more to special ed and learning disabled children.

Last amother, I mentioned Ateres is my last option because it's a little more to the left than I'm comfortable with. Hebrew Academy is just way too out there for us.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:49 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you everyone.

Bais Shifra Miriam and Bais Rochel will never take me (I've been told this) because I'm too modern.

Bas Mikroh said I'm too chassidish.

Chofetz Chaim told me they don't accept drop outs in their school.

Chabad's classes are full.

Rabbi Rietti's new school is not quite working out the way everyone hoped it would.

I'm still working on YSV.

Bnos Bracha is geared more to special ed and learning disabled children.

Last amother, I mentioned Ateres is my last option because it's a little more to the left than I'm comfortable with. Hebrew Academy is just way too out there for us.

Try bais Yaakov of spring valley.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:49 pm
Did you contact anyone on the Vaad hachinuch?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:50 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Try bais Yaakov of spring valley.

That's a high school

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:53 pm
Everyone knows that I order to get j to ysv you have to apply for kindergarten and they say it straight out that if you don't apply for kindergarten they don't reserve slots for kids later on. Something doesn't make sense. Where was your daughter these past two years and why can't she stay where she was? How can you expect a school to take you in in he middle years?

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
That's a high school

No there is a newish elementary school. I heard people refer to it as bais Yaakov of spring valley. Brothers of those girls are in bais dovid bais mikroh, Bobov, vein. Etc.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 5:02 pm
OP I would suggest applying pressure on chofetz Chaim and bas mikroh (and also trying bais Yaakov of spring valley - maybe the name is wrong, but look into it). I know two people who were skver and send to the above schools (chofetz Chaim and bas mikroh). One had her 4 yr old in play group, but bas mikroh finally took her.

To the amother above: 1. Maybe her daughter is still in play group 2. Maybe her daughter is in a school that's not for her- she is being made fun of and the school wants to get rid of OP (I know people in similar situations).

If you need anymore help, just ask. I wish you a lot of hatzlacha
(Sorry if this post was incoherent, but I'm on my iPad and it's hard to type)

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:
Everyone knows that I order to get j to ysv you have to apply for kindergarten and they say it straight out that if you don't apply for kindergarten they don't reserve slots for kids later on. Something doesn't make sense. Where was your daughter these past two years and why can't she stay where she was? How can you expect a school to take you in in he middle years?

She's going into first grade. And if you mean the newer Bais Yaakov, they have more applicants than they have space.

Amother, if there is a Vaad Hachinuch here, I have never heard of it. I wrote this as a vent, I've knocked on pretty much everyone's door already. I'm getting one lame excuse after the other. I've been called a dropout. I've been told I'm too modern, or I'm too chassidish.

Funny, the only people who actually cared so far are in Yeshiva Ketana in Passaic. They were horrified that of all the schools in Monsey, none have room in their hearts for an adorable little girl. To quote the administrator of YKP - Although it's not the best solution, if no school in Monsey takes you, we'll accept your daughter to commute every day. We cannot leave a Jewish child out in the street.

That's not true about YSV - people come and people go. I know people who moved to Monsey with a few kids and they all go there and were accepted in middle school.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 5:07 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
OP I would suggest applying pressure on chofetz Chaim and bas mikroh (and also trying bais Yaakov of spring valley - maybe the name is wrong, but look into it). I know two people who were skver and send to the above schools (chofetz Chaim and bas mikroh). One had her 4 yr old in play group, but bas mikroh finally took her.

To the amother above: 1. Maybe her daughter is still in play group 2. Maybe her daughter is in a school that's not for her- she is being made fun of and the school wants to get rid of OP (I know people in similar situations).

If you need anymore help, just ask. I wish you a lot of hatzlacha
(Sorry if this post was incoherent, but I'm on my iPad and it's hard to type)

You hit the nail on the head. She's in school, they'd prefer we don't stay. To quote the principal, we're damaging the image of the school Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 5:09 pm
Ysv is more expensive for kindergarten and then they drop their price for pre-1a. They say that you don't have to send for kindergarten but if you don't they don't promise that they will take your child for pre1a. So basically you are really forced to send for kindergarten. That means that you had the daughter in another school for two years whatever your reasons for pulling out you can't expect a school to take you when you are already in another school that's not school-less that's wanting to switch schools.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics