Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School-less in Monsey
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Maya

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:10 pm
"Rabbi Rietti's" school, which is not actually Rabbi Rietti's school, can't open because of a lack of funding. Everything is in place, ready to go, but there is no money. Maybe next time.

I know at least three families in Monsey who send their daughters to the school in Passaic and are very happy there. For those who are concerned about the obvious downside - the long bus ride - please consider that the average kid in Monsey rides around in Monsey on the bus at least as long as it takes to get to Passaic. My kid is on the bus every morning for about 45 mins.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:11 pm
Maya wrote:
"Rabbi Rietti's" school, which is not actually Rabbi Rietti's school, can't open because of a lack of funding. Everything is in place, ready to go, but there is no money. Maybe next time.

I know at least three families in Monsey who send their daughters to the school in Passaic and are very happy there. For those who are concerned about the obvious downside - the long bus ride - please consider that the average kid in Monsey rides around in Monsey on the bus at least as long as it takes to get to Passaic. My kid is on the bus every morning for about 45 mins.

What is happening to all the families that applied? I thought that the monies were accounted for before? -new amother

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
Ysv is more expensive for kindergarten and then they drop their price for pre-1a. They say that you don't have to send for kindergarten but if you don't they don't promise that they will take your child for pre1a. So basically you are really forced to send for kindergarten. That means that you had the daughter in another school for two years whatever your reasons for pulling out you can't expect a school to take you when you are already in another school that's not school-less that's wanting to switch schools.

OP said that she is school-less, as her current school wants her out. I know someone else in this situation with a second grader.

Maya

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:14 pm
Why did you think the money was accounted for? The system was set up before the fundraising took place, and that fell through.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:14 pm
Yes, there is a Vaad Hachinuch. Most people don't know about it but it exists and it's purpose is to help people in exactly your situation. Call Rabbi Lieff right NOW (on Park Ave in Monsey, he is listed on Superpages, I don't want to post his number here but you can look it up) He is on the Vaad and will help you.
Hope you have hatzlacha!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:22 pm
Maya wrote:
Why did you think the money was accounted for? The system was set up before the fundraising took place, and that fell through.

Some1 had posted that this school had already ensured that they will not make the same mistakes as bnos sura. I figured it meant financial stability. BTW OP did u try bnos derech yisroel?

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:24 pm
I don't know the difference, but Chabad has two girls schools. Maybe look into that.

Maya makes a great point regarding how long children sit on buses for. There is nothing wrong with traveling to Passaic. I'm sorry you're going through this.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:38 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
No there is a newish elementary school. I heard people refer to it as bais Yaakov of spring valley. Brothers of those girls are in bais dovid bais mikroh, Bobov, vein. Etc.

Its officially called BY of rockland county, but ppl refer to it as BY Elementary. Its girls with brothers in bais mikra, bais dovid, degel, the new cheder dmonsey, ysv. Its litvish/yeshivish families, mainly kollel families. Don't think anyone bobov/vien attends...

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:49 pm
amother wrote:
Ysv is more expensive for kindergarten and then they drop their price for pre-1a. They say that you don't have to send for kindergarten but if you don't they don't promise that they will take your child for pre1a. So basically you are really forced to send for kindergarten. That means that you had the daughter in another school for two years whatever your reasons for pulling out you can't expect a school to take you when you are already in another school that's not school-less that's wanting to switch schools.

Just fyi, as a ysv parent I can tell you that ysv tuition in kindergarten is HALF the tuition of pre1a. It doubles in pre1a!
Also, when I tried to apply my kid who was in a diff school, ysv told me they don't like to take kids from other schools because it damages their relationships with the other schools. But if you have a rav backing you they would consider taking a kid from a different school. My rav was very pro my child switching there so that helped us get in BH.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you everyone.

Bais Shifra Miriam and Bais Rochel will never take me (I've been told this) because I'm too modern.

Bas Mikroh said I'm too chassidish.

Chofetz Chaim told me they don't accept drop outs in their school.

Chabad's classes are full.

Rabbi Rietti's new school is not quite working out the way everyone hoped it would.

I'm still working on YSV.

Bnos Bracha is geared more to special ed and learning disabled children.

Last amother, I mentioned Ateres is my last option because it's a little more to the left than I'm comfortable with. Hebrew Academy is just way too out there for us.

Bnos bracha is a regular school that mainstreams special ed kids into the classes, that's what they claim. I know plenty of regular kids that go there and the parents are thrilled.

Bas mikrah is a pretty yeshivish frum school, so if they think you are too chassidish for them, there is no way you are too modern for bais shifra miriam or bais rochel. You should definitely try to get an interview with both. Bais shifra miriam is smaller and less professional so may be easier to get in. I know families there that are unafiliated chassidish or modern chassidish. Bais rochel is probably going to be harder to get into, but they also have a very wide range of types in their student body. Don't rely on what ppl told you, try to apply and see it for yourself.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:
Just fyi, as a ysv parent I can tell you that ysv tuition in kindergarten is HALF the tuition of pre1a. It doubles in pre1a!
Also, when I tried to apply my kid who was in a diff school, ysv told me they don't like to take kids from other schools because it damages their relationships with the other schools. But if you have a rav backing you they would consider taking a kid from a different school. My rav was very pro my child switching there so that helped us get in BH.

I'm sorry I'm talking as a parent whose husband is in kollel. There are no discounts for kindergarten but then they reduce it for pre1a because ysv wants kollel families.

MimiMommy

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:36 pm
This is unbelievable. Your poor sweet daughter. Sounds like the less time she spends in monsey, the better.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
I'm sorry I'm talking as a parent whose husband is in kollel. There are no discounts for kindergarten but then they reduce it for pre1a because ysv wants kollel families.

I'm sorry... your tuition for pre1a is less than the kindergarten tuition shock !!! (which is subsidized through the universal pre-k program, that's why it's so inexpensive) forgive me while I, who is paying over 30,000 a year for my 4 kids at YSV, faints! shock

gold21

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 10:26 pm
What do the schools feel is "too modern" about you?

I can't chime in without understanding your situation clearly.

If you get a rabbi to advocate for you, and maybe even if you don't go through a rabbi, I highly doubt YSV would say no. It's just pretty late to apply to school at this point, so you're better off with a rabbi involved.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 10:58 pm
gold21 wrote:
What do the schools feel is "too modern" about you?

I can't chime in without understanding your situation clearly.

If you get a rabbi to advocate for you, and maybe even if you don't go through a rabbi, I highly doubt YSV would say no. It's just pretty late to apply to school at this point, so you're better off with a rabbi involved.

Which cheder do you send to and what is the equivalent school?

monseychick

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 11:48 pm
Did you speak to Sima Zaks... I'm sure she can help you..

PM me for number

Rebbetzin1

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 12:13 am
Last I heard Bnos Achva (Rabbi Rietti's School) IS opening although they had to downscale from their original grand plan. They are opening on a smaller scale.
My kids also don't have a school in Monsey yet and I am relying on the new school.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 6:55 am
amother wrote:
You hit the nail on the head. She's in school, they'd prefer we don't stay. To quote the principal, we're damaging the image of the school Rolling Eyes

Why don't you toe the line the school wants for now? Any school will contact the prior school and no one wants another school's problems. I would tell them that you are conforming. Then switch when you are in good standing instead of bad standing.

thanks

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 7:08 am
I urge you to look into Hebrew Academy of New City. It's currently a small school, but I predict it will grow quickly to fill the need of families such as yours. (Too modern, too chassidish, etc.) The education there is tops with new methodology and technology in the classroom. The teachers are amazing, and they really cater to each individual student.

You can PM me if you want more info.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
Why don't you toe the line the school wants for now? Any school will contact the prior school and no one wants another school's problems. I would tell them that you are conforming. Then switch when you are in good standing instead of bad standing.

That is not always an option. I'm saying that because I have known people in simile situations. Let's say parents get divorced and the mother starts to drive, the school may tolerate the kid for the fathers sake, but the child constantly feels uncomfortable in school. It leaves the kid with no security because she knows her school is judging her. Yes, this applies to first grade as well. Furthermore, unless you have major pull, many schools wouldn't tolerate you staying anyways.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics