Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Best stand mixer

cbg

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 1:05 pm
Ok, so I know this question has been asked many times.

I need a mixer to do big batches of whole grain breads.
Enough to last me challahs for a month (4 medium to large challahs every Shabbat)
Probably going to use it only for bread.
If I start making desserts I'll be double in size.

I need a machine that won't jump around on the counter.
Something if I leave it on I don't have to baby sit. I can do other things while the dough is kneading.

TIA

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 1:18 pm
Would you consider a commercial machine?

cbg

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 1:36 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Would you consider a commercial machine?

I want a machine I can put in a 5lb bag of flour at a time.
One that I can make 2 batches, back to back, without it burning out or breaking.

The Magic Mill, at $800+ is out of my budget! but if it is really worth it I may splurge.

I never had a machine before. Always kneaded 1/2 a bag at a time.
I recently hurt my arm and can't do it anymore.
With the Chagim coming up I want to be able to bake challah again.

Oh, and it should be easy to clean, if possible.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 3:04 pm
the bosch is great for bread. I sometimes do 6lbs challah at a time and never had a problem.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:
the bosch is great for bread. I sometimes do 6lbs challah at a time and never had a problem.

I also love the Bosch for challah, but mine certainly moves around (it is a model from around 10 years ago) on the counter and needs to be watched.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 5:28 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I also love the Bosch for challah, but mine certainly moves around (it is a model from around 10 years ago) on the counter and needs to be watched.

Im the amother you quoted. My bosch is 2 yrs old and stays in one place. It has suction cups holding it down.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 5:30 pm
amother wrote:
Im the amother you quoted. My bosch is 2 yrs old and stays in one place. It has suction cups holding it down.

Mine has suction cups too, but it doesn't stay in place while kneading 5 lbs. of flour. Maybe the newer ones are better.

cbg

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 6:48 pm
Thanks for all your replies

For those that have a Bosch and make 5-6lbs of flour, can I do 2 batches back to back, or do I have to let it rest in between batches?

For how long?

Is it easy to clean, or does dough get stuck somewhere you can't get out?

I want to make sure before I buy it.
I'm thinking of getting at Bed Bath and Beyond, this way if I don't like it I can easily return it. Plus I have 20% off.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:47 pm
Can someone put a link to this bosch mixer. I'm curious just what model you're talking about. I have a kitchen aid mixer almost 20 yrs old now which works well but has too low a capacity. I am sick of doing so many small batches.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 10:24 pm
http://www.digitalbundle.com/p......html

I dont think its sold at BB&B
I never tried doing 2 batches of 5lbs flour back to back. I have done a full batch of challah and while it was rising made a small batch of pizza dough. Never had a problem.

kb

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 10:35 pm
From the link you posted it looks like you can do ten pounds of challah at one time! Has anyone ever tried that?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 12:18 am
I knead 7lbs. at a time-I think the Bosch only jumps when it's liquidy - make sure to put in enough flour when you start the machine and slowly add the rest

cbg

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 8:41 am
amother wrote:
http://www.digitalbundle.com/products/Bosch_Universal_Plus_Kitchen_Machine_Mixer_____825225854463.html

I dont think its sold at BB&B
I never tried doing 2 batches of 5lbs flour back to back. I have done a full batch of challah and while it was rising made a small batch of pizza dough. Never had a problem.

I saw it on their website.
Their customer service is unbeatable. My mom had a mini deep fryer about 15 yrs old (maybe more). She needed a new cord for it. She took the cord in to get a replacement and the lady told her to bring in the fryer and she can get a new one, or a store credit.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 12:59 am
cbg wrote:
Thanks for all your replies

For those that have a Bosch and make 5-6lbs of flour, can I do 2 batches back to back, or do I have to let it rest in between batches?

For how long?

Is it easy to clean, or does dough get stuck somewhere you can't get out?

I want to make sure before I buy it.
I'm thinking of getting at Bed Bath and Beyond, this way if I don't like it I can easily return it. Plus I have 20% off.
I don't find it hard to clean, as long as it's washed right away and the dough doesn't crust over.
Most of the dough comes right out and not much sticks to the bowl, just a bit to the dough hooks.
I love the machine.
I find that Duddy's and the Buzz in Brooklyn have the best price and also include the extra stainless steel bowl which you need for challah at no extra charge. See if they can ship it to you.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 12:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't find it hard to clean, as long as it's washed right away and the dough doesn't crust over.
Most of the dough comes right out and not much sticks to the bowl, just a bit to the dough hooks.
I love the machine.
I find that Duddy's and the Buzz in Brooklyn have the best price and also include the extra stainless steel bowl which you need for challah at no extra charge. See if they can ship it to you.

why do you need the stainless steal bowl for challah? The white plastic bowl works very well for my challah

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:57 pm
amother wrote:
why do you need the stainless steal bowl for challah? The white plastic bowl works very well for my challah
I heard that the plastic bowl can't handle the 5 lb. dough and the machine can break after much use this way but who knows?

I do know that one time I forgot to switch bowls and the motor end up blowing. I was getting ready to give it in to the repair guy which I knew would cost me a fortune when my brother played around and realized that he just had to switch the "fuse" switch back on the machine. It had forced shut down on its own, maybe to try to preserve the motor?

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:09 am
ra_mom wrote:
I heard that the plastic bowl can't handle the 5 lb. dough and the machine can break after much use this way but who knows?

I do know that one time I forgot to switch bowls and the motor end up blowing. I was getting ready to give it in to the repair guy which I knew would cost me a fortune when my brother played around and realized that he just had to switch the "fuse" switch back on the machine. It had forced shut down on its own, maybe to try to preserve the motor?

This is why I bought mineat BB&B

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:57 am
cbg wrote:
This is why I bought mineat BB&B
do they include the stainless steel bowl in the purchase?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen