Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What should I do?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 7:09 am
My situation is, I'm relatively newly married and don't have kids yet. I just quit a job that was full-time (usually overtime), very low pay (and it didn't pay extra for overtime, which I found out after the fact was illegal), and extremely demanding. For the four months I had that job, my house, husband, health, and everything else was neglected. I'm still recovering. Nearly a month down the road, having stayed home, recovered, got my house and life back in order, and sent in a few resumes, I am trying to figure out what I should be doing. I also just found out I'm pg, and if I couldn't handle full-time NOT pg, I don't know how I can handle it when I am. There's a class I'm thinking about taking that would be between 6-9 months long and would guarantee me a decent-paying job at the end of it. But that's full-time (8 hours a day plus maybe also homework?) and I don't know if I want to do full-time anymore, especially with the timing being what it is. And it also costs money, although actually not that much. There's a part-time daycare assistant job that's relatively close to my house - but again that's going to be very low pay, and at four hours a day, in the afternoon, I'm just not sure I want to do it (though admittedly afternoon is probably better than morning). There are a couple of people who have offered me work-from-home type things, which would theoretically be great as it's flexible, but it's not adding up to much and I'm now finding that I have TOO much free time on my hands. I could of course throw all of these options out the window and keep looking for work. :-( not really sure what the best plan is.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 7:24 am
Do you plan on working after the baby or do you want to be a SAHM? Taking a course that gaursntees a decent job seems like a worthwhile investment. Of it is something that you can benefit from in the long run, then it pays to push yourself to do it now, because once the kids come around and expenses grow, it gets much more complicated.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 7:58 am
Hi Lady Bug, thanks for your answer. I forgot to mention that we plan for me to be a SAHM though if I do work it would be from home, maybe opening a playgroup in my house which is sort of why this 4-hour daycare thing might be good - more to put on my resume - but honestly I don't want to right now, I'd rather focus on my own baby. It's just that it's a job NOW versus a class which is not yet... and I'm scared of full time which is stupid because I feel like everyone works or goes to school (or both!) full time and why can't I? :-(

(oh, and the class would be out of the house, but the job it would land me would be from home.)

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 10:02 am
If you don't need the money now, then do whatever fits your long term goals best. If you want to open a playgroup, then do the daycare. If you want to have a decent job working from home, then do the course.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 10:19 am
Lady Bug, what I want to do long term is work from home. Whether that is a playgroup or this other thing... well, the other job is 8 hours in front of a computer for really good pay (better than I would get with a playgroup), but I don't have kids yet so I don't really know what is best for an at-home mommy.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 10:23 am
While I personally would take the 8 hour job, it sounds like that is not what you want. You have to do what you want/can handle.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 10:30 am
Do u mind sharing what this course is? I would love to work from home for decent pay! Please share TIA

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 10:42 am
OP here - I'm sorry, but I don't want to out myself yet. Anyway, the course itself is not from home, so depending where you're located it may not be shayach.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 1:54 pm
Don't think that people can do it all. Most can't. They adapt to their situations.

I had to go out to work FT and had never worked FT in my life. Now I have kids as well, it was reallllly tough in the beginning and some days it still is but I manage because I adapted.
Don't think that because your cousin and your neighbor do it it means you have to also.

To be honest you have a tough decision. It really depends what you want to do but I wouldn't do a class for 8hrs a day that will guarantee you a job at the end which you probably won't wnat to do since you plan on being a sahm. Or wfhm. The daycare sounds like your best option. Great practice, great on your resume and short hours so it won't be too hard for you.

Good luck and bshaa tova.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 2:27 pm
how disciplined are you to sit at a computer all day? I work from home on my computer 7 hrs a day but not everyone can do that. if you really think you would manage and it won't kill you to be home all day then I would do the course b/c u said u get paid well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics