Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Black Tie

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 4:06 pm
What do you think/wear to a "Black Tie" wedding, not a family member or close friend.

Should you wear black? Is color OK? Short/long - isn't long inappropriate if you aren't in the wedding party?

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 4:13 pm
Long is appropriate, but IMO not necessary.

I also have a black tie affair and am wearing a regular wedding outfit!

cbg

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 6:20 pm
An elegant black dress, not long ita appropriate.

Frumdoc

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 7:07 pm
Black tie refers to the male attire, that they should wear a bow tie +/- cummerband, dress shirt etc, and an evening suit, which is a different style and cut to a lounge suit, which is what we consider a normal shabbos suit.

Ladies do not have to wear black at a black tie affair, but smarter clothes are customary, the exact nature of which will depend on your community norms.

Of course, in many frum places, there are as many women wearing black as there are men, but this is entirely different.

chaos

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 7:27 pm
I always thought black tie = tuxedos for men. "Black tie optional" means that a formal suit would suffice, "Black tie preferred" means tuxedo is preferred. For ladies, black tie means formal long gown, not necessarily black, but definitely a long gown.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 8:28 pm
chaos wrote:
I always thought black tie = tuxedos for men. "Black tie optional" means that a formal suit would suffice, "Black tie preferred" means tuxedo is preferred. For ladies, black tie means formal long gown, not necessarily black, but definitely a long gown.

You are correct.
But many, dare I say most, people ignore the rules, and many people who write "black tie" on a wedding invite don't really know what it means. Most think it's just an elegant way to say "dress really, really fancy". Maybe a hint to Aunt Harriet, who always wears a camouflage vest and oxford shirt to weddings, and to Uncle Matt, whose idea of dressing up is to wear socks and new jeans, to spiff up a bit.

Truth is, there are so many different syles of tuxedo these days--plain shirt? Ruffled shirt? Pintucked shirt? Satin stripe and lapel? Velvet stripe and lapel? Self stripe and lapel? Cummerbund yea or nay? Standup collar? Wing collar? Spread collar? Wide lapel? Shawl collar? Narrow lapel? Bow tie? Regular tie? Blablabla--that it's hard to distinguish an unassuming tux from a very elegant suit.

OP, I would call the bride's mother and ask her what she means. Chances are that except for the wedding party, there will be very few men wearing genuine black tie (depends on the crowd, though) and plenty of women wearing street length, but very sparkly, dresses.

Barbara

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 9:06 pm
chaos wrote:

Once upon a time.

Now, however, a dressy cocktail dress is considered acceptable for a black tie affair. Long, of course remains acceptable, although few will wear long.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:46 am
Black tie means formal long evening gown or cocktail length but fancy.

Something you would wear to a good friends wedding.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/S.....s.htm
http://www.etiquette-and-manne......html

Google womens black tie dresses for images.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette