Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Spinoff: Fist Bump

What do you think of a frum woman giving a man a "fist bump".
Lady-like  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not lady-like  
 15%  [ 8 ]
OK in a professional situation  
 3%  [ 2 ]
Says "you're one of the boys"  
 7%  [ 4 ]
Not shomer negiah  
 52%  [ 27 ]
Other, or a combination of the above (explain)  
 19%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 51

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 7:46 pm
From this thread http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....51392

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 8:06 pm
Disclaimer: I haven't followed the link. But I think fist bumps are silly. Fine as a humorous gesture among buddies but not a substitute for a handshake. OTOH I don't see why we should use physical contact at all to indicate greeting or agreeing with another person who isn't a close relative or friend. In days of old when knights were bold, yeah, you shook hands to show you weren't carrying a weapon (leaving lefties at a distinct advantage, able to conceal a weapon in their dominant hand). And then only in the Western world. Other cultures have other ways of indicating greeting and agreement.

Hands teem with germs, and hand-to-hand contact is a great way to transmit disease. So why can't we have some kind of hand-dance, if you will, like, say, mirroring motions without actual contact, to show the greeting or agreement? Or borrow from international sign language for the deaf, and SIGN "Hello" "Goodbye" "Welcome aboard" "" Congratulations" "It's a deal" and so on? One is born shaking hands; one learns to shake hands. One can learn to sign a few key greetings.

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 8:50 pm
Zaq - all I can think of from your post is the Princess Bride - the swordfight at the edge of The Cliffs Of Insanity - "why are you smiling?" "because I know something you don't know." "what's that?" "I am not left handed." "why are you smiling?" "I'm not left-handed either!"
Ok now that I have revealed myself to all and sundry as a total geek.... I'll be quiet!

Dina_B613

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 10:28 pm
Fist bumps are a lot less germy, which is a big part of which I asked about them.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 3:36 am
I have never seen that...

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 6:21 am
did the other thread say it was only female/male?

my girlfriends and I do it, my brother and I do it.

I think it's funny, and fun. more chill than a high-five. and as I said before, does NOT mean you're not ladylike

mille

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 6:55 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
did the other thread say it was only female/male?

my girlfriends and I do it, my brother and I do it.

I think it's funny, and fun. more chill than a high-five. and as I said before, does NOT mean you're not ladylike

Yeah, I completely agree with this (I voted "other" for the record). It's a fun silly thing among friends or siblings.

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 8:55 am
My baby does it and it is adorable! But older than that - maybe for close friends - buddy-buddy kinda thing........

marina

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:18 am
it's not ladylike or unladylike- it's just not for professional situations
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics