Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What did you buy for your baby that you DIDN'T need?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 9:03 pm
just a few suggestions about items mentioned: if you do need a diaper pail, do not get a diaper genie. they are deceptively good at hiding the stench of old diapers, and they hold a lot of them. this can result in catastrophe. true story: my dh was trying to wrestle a "diaper sausage" (that's the string of individually wrapped stinky diapers from the inside of the diaper genie). it was so heavy and unwieldy, it slipped. it hit the floor. it was cleaned up within minutes, but every time it rained for the next two years, that floor smelled of diapers. don't think we didn't try to get rid of the odor. it went away with time. a plain old garbage pail with a secure lid and a garbage bag is your best bet. take it out every night. it's a better idea. it's also cheaper in the long run.

wipes warmers: I never had one. I put the changing table next to a radiator (which has a radiator cover) and kept the wipes on that. the wipes were nice and toasty in the winter. just keep the wipes closed when not in use, or they will dry out.

changing table: if you get one, get one that can be used as toy shelves later. don't get anything too diaper-specific.

crib: it's unlikely you will ever convert the crib into headboards. just be aware of that.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 9:45 pm
Firstly, does your community have baby Gmachs? This might alleviate some expenses at the beginning, and then you can give it back when you are done with it and not have to have it sitting around for the next kid.

As far as a Stroller/Snap-n-Go situation, personally I loved the Britax B-Agile travel system because it is a stroller and snap-n-go in one. The travel system isn't terribly expensive considering that you also get a full car seat with a base. I see it retails for the lower $300 range. Personally I found this to be a good investment.

We did not start out with a normal crib, but with a pack-n-play which had a few more bells and whistles, like a changing table attached (a HUGE help and space saver), and the ability to serve as a cradle. Something like this Now that my baby is older, we found that we needed a real crib as she wasn't sleeping so well in the pack-n-play, but it was a really good investment!

I found a swing to be useful, but it really depends on your baby. B"H I was able to get mine from a Gmach and my baby loved it.

If you are planning on breastfeeding and pumping, keep in mind that insurance is now required to cover part or all of your pump, so make sure to find out their policy. You may be able to get it even before the baby is born.

I found an infant seat to be useful when Nidda, to allow for easy passing of baby, and she liked to sit there too!

My room was too small for a full sized crib, so a bassinet was useful.

That's all I can think of for now.

mommy9

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:02 pm
This won't save you much money but I found hooded baby towels to be a waste. They're too small to wrap the baby. A boppy is very worth it. A nursing drape is only good for a newborn

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:04 pm
Bouncer end up being a boon for us. Baby did not like it. We gave it away. With our second we borrowed a swing and it was great but a real pain to store because it takes up so much room so borrowing was extra special (thanks bnm!).
Pack n play was never something we needed. We didn't buy it. If you sleep over at someone often like your mom and she doesn't have a crib for the baby then it would be a necessity.
Umbrella stroller is not necessary until baby is 1 and out of the infant seat and snap n go situation .

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pooh

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:42 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Fancy little outfits. DD never wore them! For the first year she lived in pajamas. Stock up on sleep sacks, they are a life saver.

I was gonna say this! I feel bad for all the babies I see that are super fancy dressed w uncomfortable clothes. They sleep all day anyways, no need to dress them at least for first 6-8 mos. Onsies rock. Stock up!!!! In bigger sizes cuz they outgrow them fast

Pooh

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:45 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Fancy little outfits. DD never wore them! For the first year she lived in pajamas. Stock up on sleep sacks, they are a life saver.

I was gonna say this! I feel bad for all the babies I see that are super dressed w uncomfortable clothes from head to toe. They sleep all day anyways, no need to dress them at all at least for first 6-8 mos. Onsies rock. Stock up!!!! In bigger sizes cuz they outgrow them fast

Odelyah

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:09 pm
Here are some of the things I never bought and never needed (not exactly your question but you may find this helpful anyway):

crib
playpen/ pack 'n play
baby bathtub
fancy infant baby carriage
changing table
bouncyseat

The Gymini I got as a gift was cool but I could only use it with my first because after that it wasn't really safe to put the baby on the floor ...

On the other hand, I never bought a nursing pillow until my 8th and by then I had major back problems. I bought the one called My Brest Friend (many prefer it over the Boppy-- it's much more supportive) and I wish I had bought it with my first-- it's fantastic.

Oh and I thought of something I bought and didn't use: nursing bras with hooks. I just ended up using stretchy wireless type bras that you can lift up with one hand.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:41 pm
Clothing in size "newborn." Yeah, it was nice to have stuff that fit well right from birth, but they outgrew it in about two minutes! Note that my kids are born pretty average size. I actually received one European outfit in size newborn that didn't even fit at a week old- that was a shame.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:58 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Clothing in size "newborn." Yeah, it was nice to have stuff that fit well right from birth, but they outgrew it in about two minutes! Note that my kids are born pretty average size. I actually received one European outfit in size newborn that didn't even fit at a week old- that was a shame.
Is newborn the same as size 0-3 months?
I actually made sure to buy 2 outfits in that size for my second because I hated that I didn't have anything that fit perfectly right away for my first. The 2 outfits didn't last long but they came to great use. I used them over and over because they actually fit and looked so good Smile But the majority of the clothing was size 3 months which definitely lasted longer.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 18 2018, 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 12:10 am
ra_mom wrote:
Is newborn the same as size 0-3 months?
I actually made sure to buy 2 outfits in that size for my second because I hated that I didn't have anything that fit perfectly right away for my first. The 2 outfits didn't last long but they came to great use. I used them over and over because they actually fit and looked so good Smile But the majority of the clothing was size 3 months which definately lasted longer.

No, 0-3 is definitely bigger- they also make something called "newborn." Like I said, it's nice to have something that fits from birth- but it's definitely not a necessity, since it's beH outgrown so fast.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 12:13 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
No, 0-3 is definitely bigger- they also make something called "newborn." Like I said, it's nice to have something that fits from birth- but it's definitely not a necessity, since it's beH outgrown so fast.
The European newborn size clothing is definitely useless. I agree with that. Tiny, mini. Fits day 1 and never again.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 18 2018, 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total

heidi

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 1:11 am
I thought I had to have a changing table. I used it once I think. Ended up changing baby on my bed 99.9% of the time.

Also, it might be better to wait to see what you really need. Some babies hate the swing and love the bouncer, for others it's the other way around. And some babies need to be held all the time and it's better to invest in a really good carrier. My kids hated the car seat so a snap and go would have been pointless for me, while a vibrating bouncer was a lifesaver.

I really think you need a car seat and some diapers to take baby home with. For all other accouterments, wait and see.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 1:19 am
morah wrote:
Free 2 day shipping = Prime.

All I was saying is that you get some of the benefits of prime (free 2 day) but not all with Mom. No free kindle book, no tv shows, no music streaming etc (not that I would care about those, I don't do tv). Prime is a lot more today than it was a few years ago.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 1:24 am
Definitely buy as you see you need things. Not before.
I for one bought a combination changing table/dresser that matches the crib and chest (basically a dresser that is the height of a changing table, you can add a changing table pad for $20) and I really use it. For clothing obviously (the drawerers), as a dresser top, and as a changing top. Everyone will have different experiences. Which is why you should wait and see what feel you need.

champion

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:07 am
shop MINIMALLY!
people will get you gifts.
people might lend you there second hand stuff.
some things might be able to serve dual functions.
for ex: somebody lent me a big bassinet stroller. and that is what my baby slept in for a while
once you are settled you will know what you need

champion

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:09 am
oh also. buy mostly 0-3 and not size newborn. because even though 0-3 will be big in the begining the baby will outgrow newborn size SOOOOOOOOO fast.

heidi

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:12 am
champion wrote:
shop MINIMALLY!
people will get you gifts.
people might lend you there second hand stuff.
some things might be able to serve dual functions.
for ex: somebody lent me a big bassinet stroller. and that is what my baby slept in for a while
once you are settled you will know what you need

Agreed!
When my first was about 6 months old someone offered me their second hand pak and play. I still use it for whenever we have guests, as well as lend it out to friends and my first is over 20!

bnm

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:37 am
each situation is different, each kid is different. I started out with a swing, pack and play, portable crib, car seat, snap and go and carriage. of those only the car seat and carriage where new, the rest was from Freecycle or borrowed. The only thing I barely used was the pack and play. we got a gymyni playmat as a gift, we used it for a long time. Kid #2 barely touched it. I gave back the snap and go right away, couldn't stand the push and instead got a car seat adapter for our carriage. Kid #1 was mostly breastfed, I never even owned a bottlebrush till she was 10 months and switched to formula, Kid #2 was formula fed and needed a whole different bottle system and a new swing because after going through my kid and my cousin's and then after a month of non stop use with my second kid the motor went. I managed to get another on Freecycle. Kid #1 had a bouncy that we got on Freecycle, kid #2 slept in it till he weighed too much so it angled too much so we got an infant to toddler rocker that he slept in for a few more months (he needed the angle) Kid #1 I still used the boppy in the begining, kid #2 needed to be elevated while eating, now IY"H for kid #3 I'm planning on getting one of those new nursing pillows that are angled, I hope it works better for our needs.

changing table- we planned on using the top level of the porta crib and then the baby rolled over at 5 weeks so we had to lower it. We anyway needed some drawers for her room so we got a combo dresser/changing table.
full size crib- we bought when we found a sale, we didn't use it for a couple of more months after
high chair we bought as needed
bumbo- I found it at a garage sale when #1 had just outgrown the need for it, #2 was so active he learned to move with the chair so I didn't feel it was safe.

the list goes on and on. each baby item you will find people who love it and found it a lifesaver and people who hate it and don't understand its purpose. You have to see what works for you. whatever you can borrow borrow. if you really love an item you can always get your own.

I didn't understand why people need a high chair that reclines, then I had a bottlefed baby who wanted the bottle and to hold it by himself at a young age.

pickle321

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 7:20 am
I used my nursing pillow maybe two times I found it much easier to just hold the baby. Also a humidifier we barely used. We bought a PAC n play and not a crib. That's what my baby sleeps in. I wish I had a diaper pail. And I still use the nursing cover at 8 months. Bouncer was great the first few months.

For those who said their baby wasn't sleeping well in the pack n play why? Why would they sleep better in a crib?

bookie

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 8:00 am
pickle321 wrote:
I used my nursing pillow maybe two times I found it much easier to just hold the baby. Also a humidifier we barely used. We bought a PAC n play and not a crib. That's what my baby sleeps in. I wish I had a diaper pail. And I still use the nursing cover at 8 months. Bouncer was great the first few months.

For those who said their baby wasn't sleeping well in the pack n play why? Why would they sleep better in a crib?

A crib is bigger so they have more room to move around and even if you buy a pac n play mattress the crib mattress is much thicker and I would imagine more comfortable.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics