Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Warning: shallow post ahead: help me make this cheshbon

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 8:39 pm
This is so not like me, but I am trying to be proactive...
We received a lump sum of money, most of which I would like to save. however I have 2 children ages
5 (a boy) and 3 (girl) every year before the new shopping season, I always feel like I need to scrimp and spend little, but I have expensive taste, and would love my kids to look just so, so it's a stressful time for me.
This year I have this money, but I want to make a cheshbon in advance, about how much it would cost me, to put aside, and the rest right away put away to save.
This is what I figured I can use for the winter:

boy:
wkday shoes
shabbos shoes
winter jacket
hat, scarf, gloves
pjs 3-4 pairs
5-6 weekday outfits
2 shabbos outfits

girl:
wkday shoes
shabbos shoes
winter jacket
hat, scarf, gloves
shabbos robe
pjs 3-4 pairs
6 weekday outfits
2 shabbos outfits

How much would you spend on all this, if you have the money??

kb

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 8:44 pm
I don't know amounts. But in all reality, I'd shop the same I always did if I wanted to save... for example, I don't buy my three year old shabbos shoes yet. If I had limitless funds I might. But once you start, you can't stop, and then next year you're doing to find yourself needing to spend more than you ever did before.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 8:52 pm
Perhaps one shops for the summer, in the winter. Shop for next summer now, because they are dying to get rid of summer stuff.

In June and July, shop for winter. And also in February.

Maya

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 9:04 pm
If you have expensive taste and must buy for your kids the top of the line, figure $100 per pair of weekday shoes and $120 per pair of Shabbos shoes.
I understand winter jackets can be close to $100 if you're not gonna wait for sales, and hat/scarf/gloves sets run around $50.
If you're not buying Carter's pjs at ten bucks a piece, you're probably spending $30 each.
$100 per Shabbos outfit, $75 per weekday outfit, $75 Shabbos robe

Here's the total based on my numbers, which are the average prices in local Jewishly owned stores:
$440 for shoes
$300 for winter gear
$240 PJs
$475 Shabbos clothes
$900 weekday clothes

Figure around $2,400

(I know people who shop like this, for every season. It's ridiculous, is what it is. You'll probably be much better off saving more than spending.)

chanee

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 9:32 pm
I'm not really sure how much you could be spending in one season. That depends where you end up actually shopping. I saw a size 5 simple shabbos dress for $210 at a local children's store. There was once a time after pesach when I haven't bought any new stuff before pesach for the new season. I then left the house with my credit card to shop a whole new wardrobe. I ended up spending over $2000. And that was only shoes and clothing for shabbos and vochen for 4 kids. Don't ask me how.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:03 pm
Listen, we have no idea what splurging means to you. I used to only buy Target and Old Navy on sale. Now I'm very blessed that years later I can buy the aforementioned $200 dress for a kid that will outgrow it or ruin it in a year. But would I do that, just because I can? Um, no! What a waste of money, imo. I'll buy a gorgeous outfit from Boden or Nordstrom for $50 or less and that's a high splurge to me, for a kid.

Go do some online shopping and tally up what you think you want and call it a night.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:39 pm
I probably spend about $120-$150 per shabbos outfit.

$15-$40 on weekday shirts
$20-$35 on weekday pants

Atlantas are $109, if you want for shabbos. Personally, I think Beberlis and venettini are just as nice. Beberlis-$100, venettini-$80.

Winter coats are easily $100 or more, but you can probably also find for around $80.

If you want to do better pjs, they are around $30 each. If I were u, I would do only one fancy pj, rather save the rest.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:50 pm
"fancy pjs" enough said Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:55 pm
I promise you I can afford very expensive pjs and my boys wear old cotton shorts that are now too short and white hanes undershirts. Childrensplace pj sets in winter and there's always a sale code ....

I see these threads and I just think, wow. I'm in a different world.

tzila

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:11 pm
I have 2 children as well, a boy and a girl. Even if I could spend the money, I wouldn't.
I do buy 1 set of nicer pajamas for Shabbos/Yom Tov when we are with family and I love that they match. But even then, I get them at a reduced price. Either last year's on sale, or a coupon etc.
I have done most of the shopping, with slightly more quantities than what you wrote and spent less than $900 total. With a lot of coupon codes when shopping online, buying on sale, etc. Some are from Target, Carters, etc., some are from places with better quality.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 1:07 am
Me personally... Id go to DejaNew

MamaBear

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 8:38 am
One more thing, you say you feel bad every year clothing them on a budget. Seriously, if you spend all that money on little kids who truly don't care (at ages 5 and 3, they don't care one bit), how bad will you feel the next year when you have to go back to sale hunting?

Change your mentality because if you g-d willing have more children, your clothing budget will be even tighter. All those kids looking "just so" is just a waste of time and money. Beautiful, trendy, neat clothing etc doesn't have to cause you heartache.

I'd just focus on getting them nicer shabbos clothing and buy the rest the same as previous years.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 8:46 am
where is deja new ???? the store just mentioned ?

farm

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:45 am
Just want to remind you that if you don't live in Israel, we have 3 3 day yamim tovim coming up- are you sure you only need 2 shabbos outfits per kid?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics