Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Do I need to give two gifts ?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 8:33 am
my daughter is having a sleep over at her freinds mansion
they are going out to expensive places

later on in the month this same freind I having a bat mitzvah party
do I neet to give two gifts ?????

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:16 am
I don't think you need to give a gift for a sleepover. And the places they are going and expenses involved are your DD's friend's choice, not yours. You don't have to give a gift for that.

For a Bat Mitzva, a gift is appropriate.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:20 am
I would give two gifts.
If
My daughter goes away for shabbos I give a gift so it's up to you what you normally do.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:23 am
original imamother -
thanks for the reply's
I would like to just give a gift for the big bat mitzvah party only- Flower Sunny Lady Help Thumbs Up Music

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:26 am
I vote for two gifts.

Usually when someone hosts you, it is appropriate to give something, even if that is just flowers. Such a thing would usually be a present for the hostess and not the children. Send a cheesecake for the house, some flowers, a picture frame, or even a beautiful card just to express your appreciation.

For the bat mitzvah, you would buy a present for the girl, donate to a cause of her choice, or whatever it that you feel is appropriate.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:47 am
original imamother -
thanks for the reply's
I would like to just give a gift for the big bat mitzvah party only- Flower Sunny Lady Help Thumbs Up Music

Barbara

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 10:01 am
amother wrote:
original imamother -
thanks for the reply's

Give a small hostess gift for your DD's visit to the home. A tin of tea is always nice.

Then, of course, a bat mitzvah gift.

Simple1

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:02 am
Why don't you decide how much you can spend, and divide it into two gifts. If you are not as wealthy as them, no need to give an expensive gift just because they are doing expensive things.

busydev

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:04 am
unless the sleepover is for shabbos I never bought any gifts to a sleepover. (if it is for shabbos get a small candy platter or nut platter or something like that)

I would just get one for the bas mitzva.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:11 am
Barbara wrote:
Give a small hostess gift for your DD's visit to the home. A tin of tea is always nice.

Then, of course, a bat mitzvah gift.

Barbie: People revere you.

mandr

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:15 am
I'd send a homemade baked goods item for the sleepover (cookies, brownie bars, etc.) and then a regular gift for the bat mitzvah party.

ETA: But I usually take homemade goods when we eat meals by people so I'm used to it. I understand that not everyone enjoys baking.

Last edited by mandr on Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:41 am
Gift? sleepover? nah.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 12:05 pm
mandr wrote:
I'd send a homemade baked goods item for the sleepover (cookies, brownie bars, etc.) and then a regular gift for the bat mitzvah party.

ETA: But I usually take homemade goods when we eat meals by people so I'm used to it. I understand that not everyone enjoys baking.

I really like this idea. Often we get two gifts for really just one milestone. I feel really bad for families which maybe can't afford to give and we don't really want the stuff. My kids aren't really interested in most things they get once they open it.

If the family is well off the girl probably has everything and then some. My kids have tons of unopened presents in storage. Baked goods for the sleepover are touching and useful.

OP sounded a bit hostile in her posts. I have more than most in my community. I love sharing with my children's friends. It is not to show off but to extend the good time to those around us. It is simply fun. When my kids have sleep overs, it is in a mansion because that is our home and we welcome friends.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 12:17 pm
She feels hostile because she doesn't get the mentality, or is afraid of looking cheap because she is not rich.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics