Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Washing dishes on Shabbos

torontogal

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:18 pm
Hi Ladies! My parents do not have enough Shabbos dishes for both night and day so dishes need to be washed. Does anyone have any ideas how this can be done both properly in terms of halacha and also in getting the dishes as clean as possible? Thank you in advance for the tips.

busydev

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:25 pm
they have plastic sponges that you can use. or a plastic bag. at least thats what we do.

heres what ours look like
http://www.amazon.com/Set-Roun.....ponge

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:33 pm
In addition to a non sechita sponge, the soap must be watered down thoroughly beforehand (Friday) and Shabbos appropriate.

shuls_613

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:43 pm
I use a plastic bag like a little snack bag. It works but I know people who use the bag potatoes come in- like if you buy a whole bag of them- and say that it works better than their weekday sponge. I've never tried it myself though because I never buy a whole bag of potatoes.

It is worth asking a rav though because I know people hold differently about using certain kinds of sponges vs. a plastic bag.

Motherlee

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:53 pm
Just use a scrub brush with a long handle - made especially for washing dishes,with soap.

I got mine in IKEA. Blue for dairy and red for meat.

They happen to be great during the week as well, for pots and such.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 3:47 pm
Fill a bin with boiling water before Shabbos. Cover and leave next to the stove. Then as you clear the dishes, put them in the hot water. After the meal, use a scrubbing brush, soap and tap water to finish the job and rinse them off. Much better than trying to do all with cold water. If you're worried about the water staying hot, you could leave it in the oven and take it out when you take out your food. Or even put it up on the stove in a separate pot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry