Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Looking for OT for writing

fromnj

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:26 pm
Neither of my children has legible writing. In fact, they make some letters wrong. The older one has OT\wrist strength issues. The other is left handed. I buy workbooks but I would like them to work with someone professionally.

Does anyone know of an OT who specializes in handwriting? The school writes off (pun not intended!) the problem saying that everyone types these days anyway. If you know of anyone who does this in 5T/FR or Brooklyn please post here or PM me.

SingALong

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 6:33 pm
Do you want to call an agency like Omni or yeled vyalda? They may set you up with someone at their center or to come to your house or kids school?

Have you thought about getting BOE to evaluate and determine if your kids are eligible? If yes you might get ot services through the school system.

You can also google handwriting without tears, the website has helpful tips for parents. They also list OT's in different areas.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:51 pm
Here's a strange perspective from an OT: maybe it isn't such a big deal. You're lucky that the school is so laid back about it- I work with kids whose teachers drive them crazy about handwriting, and the stress really is so unfair. They don't realize that for some kids they are basically punishing them for a physical impairment; they want to believe that poor handwriting is always a behavioral issue instead of recognizing that there is so much motor and cognitive/perceptual involvement.

If you think that there are underlying issues that contribute to difficulties in other areas besides handwriting, by all means pursue therapy. If the child is complaining about fatigue or pain while writing and the teacher isn't allowing any modifications (like typing homework), by all means pursue therapy. However, if it's just about an illegible handwriting, I will tell you that handwriting itself is very difficult to correct once a child is past first or second grade. So you may not see real changes even with the best therapist. A lot depends on how motivated the child is. And consider whether or not you will be contributing to the child's anxiety by making handwriting an issue, or possible alleviating anxiety that he or she is now experiencing.

My few cents from working with kids of all ages, including lots of "handwriting kids."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children