Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What do 2 year old boys like to play with?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 3:58 pm
I can't seem to figure out what to keep my 2 year old son busy with. Either he is driving me crazy or watching videos (ybc, miami or uncle moishy). I have plenty of toys, lego, cars and balls but he seems to be bored of everything. He is an only child right now so that could also be an issue since he has no siblings to play with. I'm so tired after I work a full day & so is my dh that we don't have that much energy to take him outside and chase after him. Any ideas to keep him busy at home?

Dev80

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 4:05 pm
I remember that phase, I have it again with my almost two year old (as my older one can now be entertained)

-Arts and Crafts - drawing with all different types of utensils, stickers, glue sticks, glitter glue, etc
-Playdoh
-Balloons (yes, these can be a choking hazard but you'll be watching him and can teach him to pick up the pieces and throw them out when it breaks)
-I don't have this but my son is VERY into toy food/toy kitchen, if that's something he'd like you could invest in it
-take a mattress into the main room and let him jump around on it

These are some of those things we do on LONG afternoons Smile I wish you lots of hatzlacha and definitely can benefit from other's ideas!

mochacoffee

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 4:08 pm
I found that my son outgrew the balls, legos, and cars very early too. Those kinds of things are good for once in a while, when he hasn't played with them so often.

He likes to play with the Fisher Price Little People collections. It's not so 'boyish' but it's imaginative play. A mommy, tatty, baby, sister, crib, high chair, swing, house, dog, bus, car, table etc...

Also my son is a little behind because he was a premie but he loves these colored snap and lock beads. I don't know why he likes them so much but they'll keep him entertained for a long time.They're also good for strengthening their arms. I'll put a link below.

Also there's this buckle toy, it's a stuffed animal with buckles on it. It's supposed to be good for working on a child's fine motor skills. My son will literally sit for a half hour just buckling and unbuckling this toy. There's a few different versions.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fish.....32894

http://www.amazon.com/Buckle-T.....e+toy

raich

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 4:42 pm
Tools!! My son went through a stage where that's all he wanted to play with. They make adorable (and relatively inexpensive) tool boxes for kids that look like real tools. Toys R Us has a Black and Decker set that looks like the real thing. DS was "fixer-man-happy" for many months on end. (Of course now he thinks he's a garbage man...)

Delores

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 4:48 pm
Invite a friend or neighbor to play with him. They may not play with each other but two year olds can appreciate having another kid around. I would limit it to an hour though.

busydev

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 4:48 pm
my ds likes puzzles alot.
he plays with cars, lego, magnatiles etc for a few min and then is done with them usually. he loves outside, climbing and jumping. he also likes his drum and shaker set someone gave him and his toy piano and guitar. he used magnetos to make microphones and sing.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 7:33 pm
Dev80 wrote:
I remember that phase, I have it again with my almost two year old (as my older one can now be entertained)

-Arts and Crafts - drawing with all different types of utensils, stickers, glue sticks, glitter glue, etc
-Playdoh
-Balloons (yes, these can be a choking hazard but you'll be watching him and can teach him to pick up the pieces and throw them out when it breaks)
-I don't have this but my son is VERY into toy food/toy kitchen, if that's something he'd like you could invest in it
-take a mattress into the main room and let him jump around on it

These are some of those things we do on LONG afternoons Smile I wish you lots of hatzlacha and definitely can benefit from other's ideas!

Thanks for all the ideas but isn't playdoh dangerous for a 2 year old? What if he puts some in his mouth? Second of all, I have tried coloring with my son but he ends up coloring on other stuff besides paper & he ruins things. I don't have washable paint on my walls so I'm always nervous to give him markers. I tried crayons a while ago but he ended up biting in to them. Maybe he thought it was a candy lol.

kb

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 7:59 pm
A 2 year old can be taught what is and isn't allowed.

We don't eat play dough (but it IS non-toxic). We color on paper only or the pen/pencil/marker/crayon gets taken away. etc...

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 8:30 pm
Scissors, real cutlery and plates (my ds sets the table every night), coloring, stickers (my house is covered lol).

shmeichel

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:57 pm
My son loves magnatiles (the BEST investment!) he also loves playmobil and the small Lego people

bnm

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 10:14 pm
magformers, play kitchen with food and dishes

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 10:24 pm
what do they like to play with? everything they're not supposed to.

he can really help you around the house. make chores into games and he'll have a great time. you will too.

speaking of which, I have some dishes to attend to.

morah

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 10:36 pm
Wooden train sets. He can build the tracks a million different ways, and then enjoy rolling the trains on them. They're rather expensive, but they last forever, so you can get a used set in great shape or get new and consider it an investment. Many boys still play with them at 4 or 5, and Iyh there will be siblings to enjoy them too.

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 10:44 pm
Melissa and Doug makes a great reusable color with water book that has pictures of cars and trucks. My son loves coloring in it and there is no mess!

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:19 pm
morah wrote:
Wooden train sets. He can build the tracks a million different ways, and then enjoy rolling the trains on them. They're rather expensive, but they last forever, so you can get a used set in great shape or get new and consider it an investment. Many boys still play with them at 4 or 5, and Iyh there will be siblings to enjoy them too.

wooden train sets are sold at ikea for very little: $10 a set last time I checked. different sets come with different pieces, and they seem to be standard sized.

lovemywig

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 1:47 am
My son is two and the following are the toys he loves

Large fire trucks (if it has lights n sirens even better)
School buses (I have from little people he loves that)
Or any trucks in general
He loves the little menchies (I have loads of mitzvah mentchies)
He loves crayons I just give him a blank paper he can be entertained with that for awhile.
And lots of cars

kb

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 10:48 am
mummiedearest wrote:
wooden train sets are sold at ikea for very little: $10 a set last time I checked. different sets come with different pieces, and they seem to be standard sized.

What's the quality like? Do you have them?

5*Mom

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas but isn't playdoh dangerous for a 2 year old? What if he puts some in his mouth? Second of all, I have tried coloring with my son but he ends up coloring on other stuff besides paper & he ruins things. I don't have washable paint on my walls so I'm always nervous to give him markers. I tried crayons a while ago but he ended up biting in to them. Maybe he thought it was a candy lol.

Try making a batch of homemade playdoh, which tastes gross but is safe to eat.

Also try colored pencils. There are fatter varieties that are easier for small children to grasp. They don't ruin anything the way crayons and markers do.

I second the train set.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:14 am
Lego, crayons/markers, cars, kitchen set (he loves that the most) and stroller and doll (yes he is a real boy but he loves going "out" and taking the "baby" with him).

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:48 am
OP here....I really wanted to get him a Step 2 Kitchen Set but they are very expensive. I looked on craigslist but I can't see to find one that I want.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics