Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO: sweet potato kugel without sugar

sped

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:18 am
Anyone have any ideas? I have a lot of sweet potatoes that I would like to use up.
Thanks

coconutbutter

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:35 am
Lots of great pumpkin ideas:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.c.....ipes/

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 12:36 pm
Would you use a small amount of real maple syrup?

sped

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 12:49 pm
Odelyah wrote:
Would you use a small amount of real maple syrup?

I don't have any, but thanks.
What about a savory type of kugel? Is there no such a thing??

coconutbutter

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 12:52 pm
Why Kugel? Roast the potatoes like you do regular. Or make sweet potato mash (w/ fried onions).

Add them to your Cholent/ soup/ in your pan of chicken.

Kitten

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 1:13 pm
Sweet potato kugel doesn't have to have sugar. Just make it like a regular potato kugel. If the potatoes are too hard to grate, you can cook them a bit first and mash them.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 2:31 pm
They are already sweet enough, esp if pre baked to soften them up and release the sweetness. I always add some cayenne pepper to balance the sweetness with a kick, and make into a mashed potato type kugel. I have never added a sweetening agent, sugar, sweetner or syrup, to sweet potato, as they would be overly sickly and just don't need it.

Even better is to make milchig sweet potato kugelletes or balls, with low fat soft cooking cheese (same as you use for cheesecake), sweet potato and spices, allspice and cayenne pepper. Bake in the oven, same size as little cocktail fishballs, and serve as part of a starter with salad, etc. Delicious.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 5:00 pm
From my MIL's pesach recipe collection:

Sweet Potato Souffle
6 medium sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
1/4 cup oil
1/2 orange juice
1/4 cup wine
3/4 tsp salt
3 eggs

Combine all ingredients. Place in a 9 x 13 pan. Bake in oven preheated at 375, for 1 and a half hours, uncovered.

CatLady

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 5:41 pm
Easiest sweet potato dish ever:

Mashed sweet potatoes, salt, pepper and lime juice to taste. Patchkeh-free and never any leftovers.

strawberry cola

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 6:56 am
Grilled sweet potatoes are the best!
preheat oven to high- 475 to 500 F. Peel and Slice sweet potatoes into rounds, average thickness. Toss with a little olive oil and bake for about an hour- check after forty-five minutes.
You can also fancy it up by adding sliced onions and /or colorful peppers to the mix. Delicious!

yaelinIN

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 7:10 am
I peel and chop sweet potatoes and then put olive oil, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, oregano and salt on them. They are so good, best from the oven but good warm too.

I also peel them the slice them and fry (with olive or coconut oil) until almost cooked, then add chopped garlic and ginger and then steam spinach or kale with them until all of it is cooked. Very good with rice (brown or white) and meat or chicken or tofu cutlets.

Odelyah

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 7:32 pm
yaelinIN wrote:
I peel and chop sweet potatoes and then put olive oil, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, oregano and salt on them. They are so good, best from the oven but good warm too.

I also peel them the slice them and fry (with olive or coconut oil) until almost cooked, then add chopped garlic and ginger and then steam spinach or kale with them until all of it is cooked. Very good with rice (brown or white) and meat or chicken or tofu cutlets.

Oh yum. I make something very similar to your first idea and your second idea sounds amazing. Smile

SorGold

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 7:40 pm
Sweet potato spicy fries. Cut into matchstick. Coat with oil or spray and toss with garlic powder/onion powder/salt/paprika/cayenne pepper. Roast on cookie sheet on 425. Turn over once. Bake till slightly crispy.

chaniej

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 1:00 am
my aunt used to make this, its yum.......

Vegetable Kugel

2 onions- chopped and fried
boil and mash:
2 big sweet potatoes
3 regular potatoes
2 zucchinis
1 big butternut squash

mix together... put in pyrex or whatev

Bake 325 til browning on top

Yum, im making this next shabbos!

AlwaysThinking

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 1:23 am
I make the zucchini kugel from dining in again, but with sweet potatoes instead, and I cut out the soup mix and use a little salt instead. It's really good, imho. Here's the recipe: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....78292

sped

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 8:28 pm
Thank you fo rall your ideas!

chaniej wrote:
my aunt used to make this, its yum.......

Vegetable Kugel

2 onions- chopped and fried
boil and mash:
2 big sweet potatoes
3 regular potatoes
2 zucchinis
1 big butternut squash

mix together... put in pyrex or whatev

Bake 325 til browning on top

Yum, im making this next shabbos!

Any eggs?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes