Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys elementary school in lakewood or surrounding area
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 3:07 pm
hi all,
I am looking for a boys Elementary School in Lakewood or surrounding areas up to half an hour or forty minutes away that would be the most similar to darchie in Far Rockawayn Far Rockaway. I want the school to have a very strong secular and Hebrew department and in general a more open parent body. Before you all rush to tell me how I will not get into any of these schools and how I should not move here to Lakewood I know all of these problems I am just asking because I want to do the research and then deal with the problems but I need to have a background about the schools.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 3:15 pm
Yeshiva Orchos Chaim is probably the most similar, but they have not been accepting non-siblings for the past few years.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
Yeshiva Orchos Chaim is probably the most similar, but they have not been accepting non-siblings for the past few years.

if I remember correctly this is yeshivaa had a gathering for parents telling them about the dangers of the Internet. They may also have a new Internet policy. Not sure about that. I do know that that is not what I am looking

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 5:51 pm
Op ... What exactly do you stand to gain with this.
Should I do major research into cars costing over 100k $, maintenance records , performance , rack and pinion steering etc... When I know I can't afford more than 5-7k for a car .

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 5:55 pm
I don't think you will find what you are looking for in Lakewood.

No school in Lakewood has the amount of diversity that Darchei has.

That said, YTT (Yeshiva Tiferes Torah) is probably the most open-minded.

And Rabbi Bender's son opened an offshoot of Darchei in Lakewood but much more right-wing. I think the school is still new, though - it goes up to about third grade.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 6:03 pm
Rabbi benders son opened a school in Lakewood and he wanted it to be a darchai type but then he saw that if he wanted it to be considered successful then he had to switch it over to more yeshivish and now they teach Yiddish over there.

Orchas Chaim is a more with it type of crowd but the same thing mandelbaum is trying to have it get a more yeshivish name but the parent body is really way to the left.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:35 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Op ... What exactly do you stand to gain with this.
Should I do major research into cars costing over 100k $, maintenance records , performance , rack and pinion steering etc... When I know I can't afford more than 5-7k for a car .

How do you know that I can't afford the 100k car ? or in this case get into the school of my choice?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 6:28 am
amother wrote:
if I remember correctly this is yeshivaa had a gathering for parents telling them about the dangers of the Internet. They may also have a new Internet policy. Not sure about that. I do know that that is not what I am looking

That is funny because R' Bender from Darchei was the one that spoke at the internet gathering that we had. (He was amazing). I actually thought it was a fantastic applicable speech that made sense and opened my eyes to things I didn't know (and I'm in the tech business) that are available. I wish more internet speeches were like that.
Every school in Lakewood has the same no internet rule as far as I know.

Orchos Chaim has a huge mix of people in the school across the spectrum and I really like that (we are probably on the more yeshivish end). Orchos Chaim is only one of 4 (??) schools in Lakewood that does not teach in Yiddish (YTT, Tashbar, and the new school that opened last year - any others I'm missing?)
R' Bender's son does have a cheder in Lakewood, it is hard to get into, but if you have connections to the original yeshiva that may help.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 6:33 am
amother wrote:
That is funny because R' Bender from Darchei was the one that spoke at the internet gathering that we had. (He was amazing). I actually thought it was a fantastic applicable speech that made sense and opened my eyes to things I didn't know (and I'm in the tech business) that are available. I wish more internet speeches were like that.
Every school in Lakewood has the same no internet rule as far as I know.

Orchos Chaim has a huge mix of people in the school across the spectrum and I really like that (we are probably on the more yeshivish end). Orchos Chaim is only one of 4 (??) schools in Lakewood that does not teach in Yiddish (YTT, Tashbar, and the new school that opened last year - any others I'm missing?)
R' Bender's son does have a cheder in Lakewood, it is hard to get into, but if you have connections to the original yeshiva that may help.

Thank you for your response! What are tashbar and ytt like?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 6:39 am
I send to Tashbar (after a long haul trying to get into orchos chaim) and I must say I am so glad things worked out this way. The school is simple, real, no games- a real breath of fresh air in Lakewood. My son so far has had outstanding rebbeim and wonderful english teachers who really have him up to par with his NY cousins education wise (he is only in 3rd grade and I know after 4th grade when there are male english teachers the education goes downhill). To be the school building is a big chisaron, but they are starting on the new building now and hopefully will be in for next school year. Rabbi Zions is a wonderful person and top-notch educator, and again, so so real, open, honest and straight.

From my research, compared to other Lakewood schools, Orchos Chaim and Tashbar have the best english department, but it still isn't comparable to NY standards.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 6:46 am
I don't know too much about Tashbar or YTT.
I think YTT's parents are on a much wider spectrum. I don't think they have the yeshivish clientele that Orchos Chaim has.
I chose Orchos Chaim because it is run very well, organized, on time. The education is very good. And they have a very experienced staff. It met my requirements that it is a non-yiddish school, with a good secular education, and it has a yeshivish element to its parent body.
It is also has a wealthier parent body that does worry me as my kids get older, we live pretty simply, but my kids also still have classmates who live in yeshiva apts or whose parents are still learning, so I hope it will all balance out.

[I was lucky - the year I go in they had lots of slots and accepted tons of new families].

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 7:19 am
Op I was going to recommend tashbar to you. If I personally wasn't looking for Yiddish for my sonninwoukd have sent there. They by far have the best English education in Lakewood and they have unbelievable rabbeim.

Orchas Chaim is more a name than anything else. It's crowd Isolde American and the yeshivish side is the rabbeim and staff kids that goes for free otherwise it's a wealthy school and it will cost you on everything to be there for example in my sons yeshiva $50!is very generous to give a rebbe for Purim in orchas Chaim I know parents who give $250 per rebbe per child. The standards are much higher and you have to live up to it.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 7:31 am
Ytt is more to the left there are fathers who wear jeans there though he is trying to change the crowd. the problem with ytt is that their education is on a very low level.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 3:30 pm
We are also looking into yeshivas now... Does anyone know what the English is like in rabbi benders school?

amother

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 5:54 pm
Be prepared if you send to Tashbar-they have LOTS and LOTS of rules....although all schools have rules etc. they definitely have one of the longest lists of rules.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
Ytt is more to the left there are fathers who wear jeans there though he is trying to change the crowd. the problem with ytt is that their education is on a very low level.

Which is on a low level the L Kodesh or the english

amother

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:
Which is on a low level the L Kodesh or the english

Interesting. I heard YTT has a very good English education. I guess everyone has their own opinions.

c899

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:44 am
Anyone know about the English education in rabbi benders yeshiva?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 1:16 pm
Rabbi benders yeshiva English is not on a Hirt level and it is still a new school and inexperienced

c899

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:15 pm
What is a "hirt level"?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics