Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What did you major in & do you use it?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 7:16 pm
...?

MMCH

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 8:11 pm
for undergraduate?
I majored in Sociology with the hopes of going for Social Work,(at the time..)
I got married in the middle of the Bachelors Degree, (to a guy going to medical school) moved away 2x and had 2 kids..
and now im a teacher.

so in short, no. I do not use my degree.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 8:19 pm
I wanted to research medicines or vaccines, but decided not to pursue that because I wanted a "frummer" career so I majored in psych & rhetoric. I don't work in a place that requires that type of a degree at all, and cannot do much with my degree unless I would pursue a Masters (which would not be my career choice anyways) Hmmmm....??? With all of these "going back to college" threads, maybe I should start one of my own??? Confused Wink

*Anon because I don't want to give my SN away.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 8:23 pm
Majored in psychology, got a masters in social work.

So yes, I use my degree.

supty

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 8:54 pm
Double majored in accounting and business and now studying for CPA. I work in a small public accounting firm, so yes, I use my degree.

kb

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 8:59 pm
Majored in computer graphics. I work as a graphic designer. So yes, I use it. (In theory... a degree isn't entirely necessary in this field altogether, but it did help me get my foot in the door)

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 9:14 pm
Majored in bio. I don't use bio directly but needed a science degree to get the job, and understanding some medical terminology helps. Chem, physics or engineering would have served as well, but not computer science or a social science.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:14 pm
Majored in special ed, still doing it. So yes.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:18 pm
Undergrad majored in psych. I don't actually use it per se, but it was a good background for doing my masters in social work. I hope to work in social work when I finish IY"H!

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:20 pm
I'm self employed in direct sales and social media. My undergrad was Near Eastern Judaic Studies and Philosophy (double major) at Brandeis and my grad degree was a masters in education. So.... NOPE. I WAS a director of a small school for a while but it didn't jive with the flexibility of being a work at home mom so before having kids I switched to working at home for myself.

PS--- when I started undergrad I wasn't frum and wanted to be a Rabbi. When I graduated undergrad I still wasn't frum but I no longer wanted to be a Rabbi and decided to go into education. I became frum, became an educator, then switched careers. (I leyn better than my husband ha ha)

bigsis144

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:23 pm
I started off as a computer science major, worked doing not-particularly difficult computer-y stuff for years while finishing school, decided I wasn't interested in a career in programming OR taking the most difficult math/computer science classes (400 level) at the very end of my requirements, so switched my major to a combined Natural Science and Mathematics degree so I could take classes that were easier and more interesting.

Now I'm teaching math and science in a local BY, which is awesome because teaching is my passion.

Jeanette

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:25 pm
my first degree was in human development, which really was just a stepping stone to get into an accelerated nursing program. My master's is in nursing. So yes, I do use my degree. But the psych and human development classes I took in undergrad are very useful too.

Bitachon101

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:56 pm
UnderGrad sweated away to complete my BA in Liberal Arts - towards the end intended to take prereqs to go for PT.
I really wanted to go for it. But then I got preg and freaked at the thought of traveling an hour every day to school plus a full 8-4 day and then hour back for 3 years. there was no closer place.
I also knew once I started I couldnt move far and we were considering moving OOT, which never happened. lol.

My career path is totally not related - first in media and marketing and then in administration and management in an unrelated field!

I still dream about my one day being a PT..... but dont got the zitzfleish for the schooling - especially when I think about managing my household.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:10 am
Court reporting.

Nope.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:22 am
Education and administration. Yes.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:52 am
Accounting

I use a lot of what I learnt in the classes but not the actual degree.

eschaya

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:55 am
BA in general science and mathematics (goal was to teach HS science). Did so for 1 year.
Masters in nursing, working as a nurse.
Currently going for another masters in nursing, this time to become an acute care NP. Plan on using it...
Concurrently getting certification in Teaching in nursing/healthcare professions, so maybe I'm coming full circle to my original career goals!

invisiblecircus

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 4:10 am
Dance.

I did use it for some years but am not currently working. (SAHM)

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 6:39 am
Learned English (we don't have major concept). Use it allll the time LOL

tigerwife

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 6:55 am
kb wrote:
Majored in computer graphics. I work as a graphic designer. So yes, I use it. (In theory... a degree isn't entirely necessary in this field altogether, but it did help me get my foot in the door)

Ditto.

I actually loved some of the extra classes I took like art, design, painting, even lit... So it was totally worth it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics