Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to America
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 2:17 pm
deleted

amother

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 2:19 pm
deleted

Sanguine

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 4:21 pm
1- You can't edit if you're amother, and no one can PM you if you're amother

2- If this slides down the list, bump it up when America wakes up, no one here now lives in America

3- Don't move to Lakewood - You won't be able to get your 3 yo into gan and you can't get a mikva appointment before 1 AM (Those are things I've learned on this board)

Tziril Miriam

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 7:50 pm
Are you or your husband going to be looking for work? What kinds of jobs are you interested in? The economy is an issue here in the US.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 9:56 pm
I think the biggest issues with issue with communities out of by and nj are the schools the lifestyle is overall a simple one however when it comes to schools there is little variety. Because these communities are smaller you will have a broad spectrum of religious families in the schools because the community isn't that large. Even places where there are 2-3 schools it is often 1 coed ,1 Chabad and one for eveyone else.
Try Cleveland or Chicago. Not the greatest of weather though. Or if you are willing to move to canada. Toronto is a great community.

If chinuch is your number one priority you are best off in New York like Brooklyn or far rockaway or Lakewood. Sorry

kb

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 9:58 pm
Chicago has a lot of chinuch options. I believe more than Toronto. And the weather isn't all that much better in one than the other (winter-wise).

kb

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 10:27 pm
Or maybe Waterbury, which while I dint think had many options, is (I think) very yeshivish.

doctorima

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 10:38 pm
Nobody has mentioned Baltimore, which I think could be your best bet. Otherwise, if you're willing to consider NJ, Passaic can feel very simple (in the non-materialistic sense), yet has a great infrastructure of shuls, Rabbonim, and schools. Unfortunately, outside of NY and NJ, the places that are cheap and simple don't have great weather - Cleveland and Detroit come to mind. You'll get better weather in LA, but not cheap and simple; maybe look into Miami? Dallas is also warmer, but I don't know if the chinuch options would be up to what you're looking for. Also maybe Atlanta?

amother

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 10:39 pm
I personally live in Monsey and am very happy here but I think Baltimore sounds like it may be right for you. Out of town and people are less "gashmiyusdik" (is that a word?) there than in NY/NJ from what I've seen visiting there. There are some wonderful people there, people seem to be friendly and have good middos. Weather is definitely warmer than a place like Toronto or Chicago.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 12:25 am
Hi. there are so many options outside ny or nj but it depends on what type of life style you want and what you need regarding chinuch. Out of town schools might be coed, but warm and affordable. with rabbis and kollel people but much easier to adjust to. Not sure if weather is a want or a need but you may be able to call The kollel in small cities and ask for names or info about the city. they will be honest and happy to share more. Jobs as others have said can be hard and the out of town cost of living and quality of life are much higher than in a congested place.

cities such as Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati and st. Louis all have lots to offer.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 12:27 am
oops just noticed my post says but easier to adjust it should be and!

small towns do have rabbis' and kollels!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 12:28 am
Are you chareidi or yeshivish? There's a world of difference and your answer will influence where you should go.

What specifically are you looking for with schools?

I'm in Cleveland and happy here. But I miss Yerushalayim tremendously.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 12:36 am
deleted

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 12:37 am
Also, what is detroit like? I haven't looked into it at all.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 12:48 am
From my understanding, Baltimore is a really nice city but has gotten pretty large, it has choices of schools and different areas. It will be more affordable than ny but more expensive than cities in the Midwest. Chicago has also gotten larger hence higher priced...

its a trade off, The smaller cities are so much easier financially but again have fewer choices for schools or restaurants. they are more open minded and generally a bit of a mix of different types of "frum" people. it offers an open minded respect and a more family/know your neighbors type of life. Most small cities today offer a nice selection of kosher food but you wont have the pizza shop or shul on every corner.

wife2

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 1:45 am
I live in Baltimore and it is similar to other out-of-town places like Cleveland or other places in the sense that it is a mixed community, only 2 girls and 2 boys schools mainly. Yes, there is a yeshivish crowd but there are also many modern people in the schools who will dress differently than you and have tv/movies, expose your children to things you may disagree with, etc.
If you want to know more about the schools, feel free to post specific questions. I work in one school and went to the other girls school and I know about boys schools as well. What are you looking for in a school?
Feel free to pm me as well.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 1:47 am
Have you considered moving to another city within Israel? At least the "sunshine" criterion can be satisfied here.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 2:51 am
amother wrote:
Thank you to everyone who responded! These are all communities we are looking into. I'm originally from California, so it's hard to think of a place that has bad weather Smile But of course I would do what is best, chinuch-wise. I don't know much about baltimore, but what I do know sounds like a good fit. What is the neighborhood like? And what's the weather like (Same as NJ?)?

I also heard great things about waterbury? Does anyone live there who can give me a good description of the community?

Denver actually looks great - it looks beautiful, which is definitely appealing to us. But the schools seem as one of the previous posters mentioned - coed and mixed. Anyone have personal (recent experience) there?

Thanks!

Several years ago I looked into moving into Denver. They are trying very hard to get people to move there. After talking to a lot of people I heard that everybody is leaving and there are hardly any frum people that live there.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:31 am
If you're looking for small community with warm weather check out San Diego. Beautiful weather, not cheap, but definitely much cheaper than LA. Like any community, it's not perfect, but there are many warm and wonderful families. There are 2 dayschools (co-ed), but there is a separate boys high school and a separate girls high school (though many families send high school students out of town). Plus LA is only 2 hrs away.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:37 am
deleted
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating