Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Bacon substitute that's kosher?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:38 am
I've been watching a lot of cooking shows lately and everyone keeps saying that 'everything tastes better with bacon'. Are there any kosher substitutes that could somewhat mimic the taste?

freidasima

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:44 am
In the middle ages when I was a kid there was something people used called "beef fry" that was supposed to mimc bacon. Never having eaten bacon I can't tell you if it tasted anything like it, but it was tasty.

Also there was something called "bacos" which were kosher soy pieces that were supposed to taste like bacon. Again, I wouldn't know. But I asked a non Jewish friend once who said "nah but for Jews it's close enough!" and laughed...

It was also full of fat and one fried it and I would not suggest it to anyone wanting to eat healthy. I would guess that anything that is salty, crispy and has smoky or soy taste of a kind would mimic it. In other words the taste can be recreated with a combination of smoky paprika and salt, which the crispiness can be recreated with anything thin, fatty and crispy.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:53 am
http://jacksgourmetkosher.com/Facon-p49.html

Tzippora

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 5:27 am
Someone I know used these in paninis with cheese... and it was such a meaty flavor I felt like it couldn't be "legal"

https://www.morningstarfarms.c.....trips

cfriedman2

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 5:38 am
https://m.facebook.com/kosher.l.bacon I'm sure they'll ship

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 6:48 am
Different amother here. O.K. Here it is. I'm BT and have eaten bacon in my "previous life". shock If you take lox, nuke it in the micowave oven for about a minute, it tastes like bacon, with a more authentic texture than the bacon substitutes mentioned above, which are dry and crumbly. Oy, I still carry around much guilt about my bacon days. I am now sooooo machmir on kashrus.

mille

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 6:50 am
Growandbehold.com's beef bacon is the closest thing to real bacon that exists kosher. Jack's gourmet facon is also a far cry from real bacon.

Rodent

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 7:50 am
As a convert I've had plenty of bacon in my time. Some smoked beef cold meats when fried are similar enough to be decent substitutes. No vegetarian options are good enough.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:54 am
Note that the morning star ones says kosher dairy....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen