Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Found bed bugs, want to cry. Any exterminators in NJ?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:39 am
We just found bed bugs (took it to a exterminator who confirmed it) and I am seriously holding myself back from crying only because I don't want to scare my kids.
I called an exterminator but I feel like I have no way of confirming he's good without telling everyone the problem and I don't want to do that. I am really not looking forward to washing and dry cleaning everything, it's going to cost me a fortune which I really don't have right now.

Also, has anyone in North Jersey dealt with this and know a really great exterminator?

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:43 am
Hugs to you, it is VERY difficult, but if you exterminate right and clean everything very thoroughly, you will get over it.

Some pointers:

1. Bag everything in clear bags. This way you can tell whats inside without tearing the bag.

2. Throw out any extra clutter. This is your chance to declutter completely.

Wow look at that I forgot what it was like already. I'll post more pointers as I remember them.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:52 am
Also, I used Quality Exterminating. They are excellent for bedbugs and they might travel to NJ.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 10:00 am
Did you have to wash or dry clean everything?
Do you have a phone number for the exterminator? I tried calling one and I'm waiting for a call back.
I am so upset with myself, I feel like I should have found it sooner. One of my kids showed all the signs of it but I thought it was from mosquitoes and eczema. I'm also scared to tell anyone because then no one will want to come near me and my kids.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 10:34 am
My husband worked for an exterminator a few years ago. First wash and bleach all your linen. If there are any rips in your mattresses get rid of them, otherwise vacuum them thoroughly.

Clean all toys and clothes that were on floor in room. If you are comfortable doing it, you can get something called Delta Dust on line or in some stores that sell ext. supplies..

Drill a hole 3 feet above bed every 18 inches and squirt in d dust then plaster, in all affected rooms. In a standard 4 bedroom house you will save 1500-2000$ by doing this..

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 1:19 pm
Uy, so sorry you're dealing with this, I know what it's like...I used a place from NJ even though I'm in NY and they were great. I got them recommended to me from a neighbor and I would recommend them again. They are called Mite Busters and their number is 888-670-6010. Website is http://www.mitebuster.com/.

You do not have to dry clean your clothing, you can wash it at home, and you actually don't even have to wash it, you really just need to dry it. So you can put everything in the dryer which is much less of a job than to wash + dry. After you dry a load put it in a bag and label the bag so you know what's what. It will take some time to do all of this so don't stress yourself out that you're not done in a day or a week.

If you have a baby you can ask to have natural treatment in the baby's room.

We did not wash any toys.

Hatzlacha!!! I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 1:38 pm
amother wrote:
My husband worked for an exterminator a few years ago. First wash and bleach all your linen. If there are any rips in your mattresses get rid of them, otherwise vacuum them thoroughly.

Clean all toys and clothes that were on floor in room. If you are comfortable doing it, you can get something called Delta Dust on line or in some stores that sell ext. supplies..

Drill a hole 3 feet above bed every 18 inches and squirt in d dust then plaster, in all affected rooms. In a standard 4 bedroom house you will save 1500-2000$ by doing this..

I don't recommend this. Professional exterminating is the best way to go and will probably come out cheaper in terms of your emotional health.

You don't need to bleach anything. Bleach does not kill bedbugs. Only high heat does. Put everything in the dryer on high for 45 minutes and then seal in a bag. When everything is done, then you are ready for the exrerminators to come and take care of the beds, furniture, and walls. Plan for a place to stay that day and maybe sleep overnight.

Another pointer: leave out 3 complete sets of clothing. One to wear while you get everything dried (to be dried as soon as you change out of it), one (dried and sealed) set to change into before you leave your apt for the exterminating, and one (dried and sealed) set to change into if you're sleeping over somewhere.

devo1982

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 6:33 pm
Breathe. It will be ok, I promise.

You do not have to wash/dry clean everything. The best solution is to invest in a Packtite, then purchase clear, airtight space bags. As you disinfect a batch of clothing/books/toys/what have you, put it into the clear plastic bags. Any time it comes out, it gets re-sanitized.

Dry cleaning and washing things will do precisely nothing - the little %$*&@#'s can survive at temperatures up to 120F and if they're in a hot environment like a dryer, unless every part of the item gets to that temp and stays that way, they will simply seek out a cool spot and survive.

Bedbugger Forums are a great resource, particularly if you're in the NY/NJ area.

I promise it will be ok. I've been there, done that, and lived to tell the tale.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 11:51 pm
Look up njb pest control (nice Jewish boys). The owner is Moshe and really great to work with. (Based in monsey)

Good luck!

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 1:20 am
Anyone know what to do with Sheitels?? I having treatment this week.... Do I bag it with the rest of my stuff?

Sadie

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 1:32 am
I used this company and recommend them: http://www.greenapplepest.com/default.html

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 1:39 am
Most important:
Cover all your box springs and mattresses in plastic bedbug protecters. They settle in the bed and stay near their food source. If they can't hide they go away or die.My exterminator claims they are probably nowhere else except the beds and box springs. I did not turnover my house. only my bed was infested once I put of the plastic it was the wb of them.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 2:03 am
Omg... I turned over my entire apt... I literally made Pesach in a day and a half...it's a shame it's not closer to Pesach!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry