Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
19 mo old still not walking!

aimb'yisroel

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 12:34 pm
hi ladies im turning here to see if anyone has any similar experiences to this- my cute social smart 19 month old does not walk! actually he never crawled properly either . he bounces around on his bottom and is quite fast at it- he can get anywhere he wants. hes been going to PT now for a couple of months now but there hasnt been much development. he refuses to even stand up. if he bounces over to the couch he will just screech until someone picks him up. th emost he'll attempt is to get onto his knees but thats from a indian style sitting position so he gets his legs all "locked up'' I have no idea what else to do withhim. he was seen by our dr. numerous times when he was a bit younger who wasnt fazed at all. he was evaluated by the child neurologist before being approved for therapy- a necessary step here in israel. he is cognitively on the ball BH but it is mind blowing that he hs no interest in developing further!! im desperate since im am due in a few weeks with another baby and cannt carry him around anymore.! he wont even climb up stairs to our 2nd floor apt!! help!!
anyone in israel know of a really really good PT or OT or evaluator whom I can trust to give him another complete look-over??
any advice from anyone would be helpful!! we need to get this child to move!! thank you!

zigi

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 1:24 pm
it might take more time my son with pt walked at 23 months. have a toy or a treat that he likes and have him stand up an play with it for a few minutes

Ema29

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 2:34 pm
I would worry about his hips. Make sure there is no reason why he is not willing to stand at all. No child will choose to avoid the next developmental step unless there is some legitimate reason.
I would also worry about the fact that your PT isn't concerned. He may not be making progress if all is not in place, but your PT should have some legit concerns/answers. What does she say is the problem? Has she looked into his hips, ankles alignment? Is his trunk support adequate to keep him upright? It may be 'nothing', but by 14-17 months it is late enough to look for or rule out structural issues.

sped

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 2:42 pm
If you are willing to do a private eval, I know someone really, really tops in Y-m - Har Nof. She is an OT and really great at looking at the whole picture. She is also really geat with babies/toddlers. Please pm me for her info.

itssimplyme

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 2:45 pm
Don't worry about it!! honestly, just don't think about it before you know it it will happen.
My father didn't speak until he was 3 and he is bl ein hara a genius.
These things happen in their own time. You don't need to do an evaluation.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 2:51 pm
If YOU (not your neurotic, NYish amother) are worried, ask your ped. Online people tried to drive me crazy about Moyshele, I shut them out and we enjoyed a good vacay and he went from barely a couple steps to running in one week.

wtvr

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:06 pm
Get his eyes checked. Someone I know was like that, and started walking when she got glasses. (Was farsighted, I believe)

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:08 pm
My friend didn't walk until she was over 2 years old because she was so so so fat that she couldn't support herself and hadn't yet developed the necessary muscle tone to do so. Well, she's walking and running just fine today BH and weighs under 100 pounds!

sped

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:17 pm
What kupah are you on? Are you getting therapy through the kupah? The quality of therapists definitely vary. My ds was a fairly late walker, but as long as he was progressing, I didn't need to worry. When I felt the movement stopped, I went to a top PT (I can give you her name, too) and she gave me some things to do with him to help him move on.
The fact that he won't even stand raises alarm bells in me. I personally would consider a private eval.

aimb'yisroel

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:17 pm
op here - thanks for your responses. I need to clarify- he is able to stand for a few minutes while holding on to something that he feels is strong enough- a windowsill, a chair, couch etc.. he DOES NOT stand up to it on his own- I will sit him on my knee with his feet planted on the floor, near the window and he will grab the sill and pull himself up. once up hes happy to play or look out for a few minutes but after that he will start whining and be upset- he hasnt figured out how to sit himself down or to cruise, so whichever way his feet are when he got up is how he is "stuck". so while he does remain standing for a few min it is not very enjoyable for him.
and I meant that my Pediatirician wasnt too concerned when I complained abotu him a few months back- shes a very anti therapy -leave the kid alone type of dr. his PT is amazed by how he is strong enough to do anything- put as she puts it "hes just not interested!" thats the part that concerns me- like you said- kids arent not interested in developing!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:23 pm
Yes, they don't all crawl. One I knew did nothing until one day he got up and walked away. He's married now.

If you want a private eval, get one. No biggie. But you might give it another month. It might take that long to get an appointment, perhaps.

I hate those roller walky things that make it unnecessary to walk because the kid can propel himself around in the thing. Unnatural.

If you suspect neurological something, ask yourself if he is coordinated in other ways. Can he take something you offer? Can he follow a toy with his eyes that you hold? How are his other senses, such as hearing?

Is he eating well?

That kind of thing.

Hugs and good luck.

good times

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:35 pm
sometimes not walking is due to lack of upper body strength which wold need an ot to help.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 4:47 pm
If he's not cruising, can't get down from standing, isn't standing alone at all, and gets his feet stuck in the last position- those are all much more concerning than his lack of walking. If it were me I would find a more qualified therapist.

morah

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 5:13 pm
itssimplyme wrote:
Don't worry about it!! honestly, just don't think about it before you know it it will happen.
My father didn't speak until he was 3 and he is bl ein hara a genius.
These things happen in their own time. You don't need to do an evaluation.

Sorry but this is very dangerous advice. My brother also didn't talk till three, and he is autistic. High functioning and talks just fine now, but that's due to YEARS of intensive therapy starting from 18 months. And my mother KNEW something was off earlier than that. Honestly, I see a lot of red flags in op's description, and I am not a professional in this area, just seen it a few times in my family. I do think we often tend to jump on the therapy wagon too quickly, but that doesn't mean everything is a case for wait and see. She's been waiting and seeing and trying to deal for awhile without much to show for it. For every kid that just turned out to be a late-blooming genius, there are 10 others who suffer terribly and needlessly when they could do very well with the right team of professionals.

ElTam

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:47 pm
By all means, get him evaluated and get PT if needed, but realize he may just have his own schedule. My kids walked at 18 months, 17 months and 20 months. Only one of them had a physiological reason (she was born with a hip issue). They all went from walking to not walking virtually overnight, skipping the intermediate stages. The 18 month walker never even crawled.

Is he progressing normally otherwise?

mo5

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 4:11 am
If he's pulling himself up, has already been evaluated, I wouldn't worry.
My pediatrician told me that for some reason children who move on their bottoms rather than crawl tend to walk late. Also I've observed that my children who walked later were more cautious and fearful about taking that step; you mentioned your toddler only stands at things he considers stable.
By all means asks a professional for an opinion but if he's been checked out and he is moving and standing- he will get there.

r_ch

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 6:44 am
Ah, been there:) It's ok. They say, bottom shuflers start walking around 21-22 months. IF he doesn't by then, you should worry. My dd did at 21 months. Boy, was I edgy!
Shortly before she even crawled. She could pull herself up but didn't even attempt to stand on her own. On that day, and I remeber it vividly, she pulled herself up the wall, turned around and... walked half a room.
Hugs. Just patience!

mommyof2boys

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:03 am
An x-ray of his hips might relieve your stress.

But, it sounds like you just need a better PT and a lot more time and TLC.

My son finally walked at 19 months, but that was with intense PT from 9 months old. He is 3 and is still receiving weekly PT for low muscle tone. He is overall a weaker child and is hitting his physical milestones late. Cognitively he is doing great. Hopefully your son is like mine and just needs a lot of exercise to strengthen his muscles. Nothing was "on time" but he did end up crawling, pulling up, standing, walking, running. He is now finally going up and down stairs, kicking a ball, and jumping with two feet.

Good luck! and please get him services. No reason to wait if you already recognize a problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics