Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Snowsuit

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 11:07 pm
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but first winter grand baby, and I'm from Miami.

Baby will be born end of December, in Lakewood. What kind of snowsuit do babies use/need?

How do you keep baby warm during transport from the hospital to home? While baby is in the car seat?

cbg

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:12 am
Bump

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:29 am
Personally I prefer layering vs a huge puffy snowsuit. That way the baby doesn't overheat as easily every time you go into a store, and it also gives you more options for different weather conditions. So my preference is a fleece snowsuit like this one http://m.oldnavy.gap.com/produ.....73891

That covers everything, but you can use an additional hat and blankets if it's very cold. Although with a baby that young they probably aren't spending a ton of time outdoors this winter.

For the car you have a few options. It is not safe to use any puffy or bulky layers in the car seat because in the case of an accident chvs they will compress (due to the forces) and create a lot of slack in the straps, which will not provide the necessary protection to the baby. If possible, it's best to warm up the car before bringing the baby out. Then carry out baby wrapped in blanket and place in warm car. Again, no overheating and no bulky layers. You can also get a shower cap style cover to go over the car seat, like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....r=1If you're using it in a warm car you really don't need anything else directly on the baby besides maybe a sweater.

SingALong

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:34 am
I personally find the snowsuit takes more time to bundle baby up. I like putting them in a jacket with a bundle me, a warm type of insert for the car seat. It zips around the baby that only the head is exposed. I'm in and out of the car a lot so this works for me. I can also unzip the top when I'm in a store so baby doesn't get hot while I'm shopping. Someone who uses the stroller more may prefer a snowsuit. If you go with a bunting, just make sure to get one with holes for car seat/stroller straps.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:53 am
I was more concerned with getting the baby home from the hospital. I think I'll get those car seat covers. JJ cole has different weights, which one is considered a medium weight? Is that enough for winter days in Lakewood, or dot hey need the Arctic warmer one.
They have family in Canada and would probably want to go visit when the baby is old enough 3-4 months, Pesach time.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:19 am
If you can, have someone pre-heat the car. Baby wears fleece zip-up with a thin sweatshirt if desired. Put blankets over the car seat tucked around baby, above straps while transferring from house to car, and then take them off. Warm hat on baby's head, also remember to take it off inside the car so they don't overheat. NY was frigid the winter my baby was a newborn and we did fine, only used snowsuit for stroller outings.

mandr

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:32 am
My baby wore this for many months: http://www.gap.com/browse/prod.....74002

I bought a size 3-6 months. It was a bit big on him in the beginning but it was excellent. He wore it for six months. He was born in October so he wore it from then until April Pesach time. It's thin enough to fit well into a car seat but also so warm and cozy. I has feet so baby's feet don't get cold. It's cozy and the best purchase I ever made for him!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics